Risto has hearing for his hit

spndnchz

The Sabres should just goon it up against Toronto this weekend as an F U to the league for Ristolainen's suspension. Time to sign John Scott, Zenon Konopka, call up Kaleta, and any other guys that would enjoy pounding some Leafs. Even give Ray and May some skates and tell them to shake the rust off.

The thing is that Polak from the Leafs got two games for a hit that was not worthy of any suspension just like Risto's certainly wasn't. The NHL is a joke that continues to get it wrong time and time again. Of course certain players like that douch from Boston can slew-foot anybody he wants and gets a slap on the wrist...meanwhile terrible plays and awful hist from behind go uncalled and I can't count how many concussions have been given on questionmable hits that the NHL does virtually nothing about. Great consistency haha 

Another reason NHL is a second rate sport to so many. No way this hit was meant to be dirty. Had puck been there it would've been perfect. Penalty was correct.

And don't get me started on playoff format. Congrats to whoever finishes second in Metropolitan.

Edited by rickshaw

The Sabres should just goon it up against Toronto this weekend as an F U to the league for Ristolainen's suspension. Time to sign John Scott, Zenon Konopka, call up Kaleta, and any other guys that would enjoy pounding some Leafs. Even give Ray and May some skates and tell them to shake the rust off.

And Val james

I thought Manning's late hit was worse than Risto's.....   Manning got two games for interference with primary contact to the head.     Guentzel was the victim both plays,  at some point he needs to protect himself.   While it's true that Risto's hit was interference,  primary contact was not to the head.... so I don't understand why he got more games than Manning.

https://www.nhl.com/video/manning-suspended-two-games/t-277440360/c-49795603

I thought Manning's late hit was worse than Risto's.....   Manning got two games for interference with primary contact to the head.     Guentzel was the victim both plays,  at some point he needs to protect himself.   While it's true that Risto's hit was interference,  primary contact was not to the head.... so I don't understand why he got more games than Manning.

The Manning hit is 2X worse, if he got two, Risto should have gotten 1.

This would be a major deal if Sabres were in playoff race, I think fact that we aren't is part of reason it was excessive -- easy to make an example out of someone

I didn't like Risto's hit. It looked to me like he was headhunting and targeted the smaller and inexperienced Guentzel from across the ice...it reminded me a bit like McCabe's blind hit of Laine.. Both never saw them coming and never had a chance. They both looked up and then got destroyed. I hate to see hits that lead to concussions. I've had at least five of them. As commissioner, I give Risto a 3 game suspension.

I didn't like Risto's hit. It looked to me like he was headhunting and targeted the smaller and inexperienced Guentzel from across the ice...it reminded me a bit like McCabe's blind hit of Laine.. Both never saw them coming and never had a chance. They both looked up and then got destroyed. I hate to see hits that lead to concussions. I've had at least five of them. As commissioner, I give Risto a 3 game suspension.

It's pretty tough to head hunt someone with your back to him, your rationale is flawed.

You're one of those people who'd like hitting banned, aren't you?

Why was Risto taking that approach? Why skate backwards like that? 

To make a hit

Edited by thewookie1

I thought Manning's late hit was worse than Risto's..... Manning got two games for interference with primary contact to the head. Guentzel was the victim both plays, at some point he needs to protect himself. While it's true that Risto's hit was interference, primary contact was not to the head.... so I don't understand why he got more games than Manning.

Was Guentzel hurt on the Manning hit? If not, you have your answer. NHL punishes result as much if not more than action.

It's a contact sport and they know the rules. Keep your head up and don't get up. Pretty simple

Why was Risto taking that approach? Why skate backwards like that?

Setting up the hip check that Risto loves so much.

Best case for Jake on that play was to maybe gain some peripheral vision, receive the pass and try and get past Risto on the boards, where he likely would have been rubbed out with a less punishing hit.

Worst case would be continuing to keep his head down, receive the pass and Risto absolutely unloads on him.

In my opinion, he got the 2nd worst case scenario.

Edited by ubkev

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.