Sabres 2018 winter classic

FLYNNSanity

I think the NHL was thrilled with the results of the first WC -- so, yes, I think it did work out well for them.

If your point is that the Sabres fell off the table after Black Sunday -- that had nothing to do with the WC.

My point is that playing in the WC is good for the Sabres -- I was not commenting on whether it is good for the NHL.  Do you not agree that it's good for the Sabres?

As for the Ferrari -- yes, local vendors are hurt by losing a home game.  It's certainly fair to consider the impact on them in evaluating how you feel about this.  My point was that the benefit to the franchise (not the local vendors) far outweighs any harm to the franchise.  This is true regardless of how you feel about the fairness of the Rangers' tax break.

Well, it was the first WC.  The setting was perfect but the ice was not great and the game was impacted.  Barring catastrophic stupidity it was going to be successful.  My point was, if they picked the Sabres based on their "stars" so they could showcase them it didn't work out so well because those stars were elsewhere the following season.

Your point of showing off a few of the players on the Sabres roster today fits the same mold.  Some of them may be gone by next Jan 1.

As for being good for the Sabres, that depends.  If you consider only the impact of national TV visibility then yes.  If however, people are annoyed because they are paying increased rates for their season tickets for less games, and if people are somehow negatively impacted (as I am) by supporting this garbage concept that they are the HOME team in NYC then I think it could ultimately be a negative for them.

You live in NYC.. not sure how long you have... but for me NYC should be part of NJ.  I can't stand the place and it absolutely distorts NY politics and economics.  So, I'm not a fan of giving the NYC people any more than they already have.  

Well, it was the first WC.  The setting was perfect but the ice was not great and the game was impacted.  Barring catastrophic stupidity it was going to be successful.  My point was, if they picked the Sabres based on their "stars" so they could showcase them it didn't work out so well because those stars were elsewhere the following season.

Your point of showing off a few of the players on the Sabres roster today fits the same mold.  Some of them may be gone by next Jan 1.

As for being good for the Sabres, that depends.  If you consider only the impact of national TV visibility then yes.  If however, people are annoyed because they are paying increased rates for their season tickets for less games, and if people are somehow negatively impacted (as I am) by supporting this garbage concept that they are the HOME team in NYC then I think it could ultimately be a negative for them.

You live in NYC.. not sure how long you have... but for me NYC should be part of NJ.  I can't stand the place and it absolutely distorts NY politics and economics.  So, I'm not a fan of giving the NYC people any more than they already have.

As someone from NJ, we'll take it, but only if you throw in LI. All lot more money flows out of there than into it. That Buffalo Billion came from somewhere and I can bet it wasn't from Utica.

Well, it was the first WC. The setting was perfect but the ice was not great and the game was impacted. Barring catastrophic stupidity it was going to be successful. My point was, if they picked the Sabres based on their "stars" so they could showcase them it didn't work out so well because those stars were elsewhere the following season.

Your point of showing off a few of the players on the Sabres roster today fits the same mold. Some of them may be gone by next Jan 1.

As for being good for the Sabres, that depends. If you consider only the impact of national TV visibility then yes. If however, people are annoyed because they are paying increased rates for their season tickets for less games, and if people are somehow negatively impacted (as I am) by supporting this garbage concept that they are the HOME team in NYC then I think it could ultimately be a negative for them.

You live in NYC.. not sure how long you have... but for me NYC should be part of NJ. I can't stand the place and it absolutely distorts NY politics and economics. So, I'm not a fan of giving the NYC people any more than they already have.

I don't think the NHL cared at all about Drury and Brieee when they did the first WC. I think they cared about the Penguins, and the evil Quinn did a great job selling it to them and serving up the whole thing wrapped in a bow.

As for NYC -- I don't see how it can be said to distort NYS politics/economics if 85%+ of the state's population lives in the NYC metro area.

As for NYC -- I don't see how it can be said to distort NYS politics/economics if 85%+ of the state's population lives in the NYC metro area.

If our upper house of the state legislature was elected by county and not by population, kind of like the US Senate is by state, we wouldn't have this problem.

If our upper house of the state legislature was elected by county and not by population, kind of like the US Senate is by state, we wouldn't have this problem.

Feh! Who needs one-person, one-vote? Democracy should be meted out by land mass, not population. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Would love to go to the WC but with Florida already booked for October, NFL game at Wembley and going to see Great Britain at the worlds in Budapest next year I am cleaned out :(

After that's over its time to start saving for my first trip to Buffalo :)

As someone from NJ, we'll take it, but only if you throw in LI. All lot more money flows out of there than into it. That Buffalo Billion came from somewhere and I can bet it wasn't from Utica.

You can have all of it.  I'm not worried about the money that comes out of NYC.

I don't think the NHL cared at all about Drury and Brieee when they did the first WC. I think they cared about the Penguins, and the evil Quinn did a great job selling it to them and serving up the whole thing wrapped in a bow.

I am sure having the thought of the 2006 Sabres vs. Pens in the Winter Classic had a nice ring to it.  They could have had the Pens play anywhere.  I don't want to get too deep into the politics of this in this thread.

This is a good place to where I am going.  Take the concept of political offices being decided by different measures.  Some population, some geographic boundary and you introduce a mess.  No more derailing the thread except to say I don't want the Sabres playing at Citi Field for the Rangers and to give up a home game to do it.  Especially to give some rich bozo a tax break he doesn't need.

• 2 months later...

So I'm looking at the schedule, and I notice that this is the only "home" game against the Rangers this season.  They do not come to Buffalo at all.

How freaking stupid.

Dumb.

I still don't get why they don't just use the outdoor sheet at the Ralph which will already be setup for the WJC.   I get that sponsors, etc are different, but that only takes a day or two to repaint the ice and swap out decals on the boards.   Seems like a waste to go through all that trouble for one game, and then schedule a Sabres "home" game in NYC.    Thanks Bettman, you idiot.

Edited by pi2000

Dumb.

I still don't get why they don't just use the outdoor sheet at the Ralph which will already be setup for the WJC.   I get that sponsors, etc are different, but that only takes a day or two to repaint the ice and swap out decals on the boards.   Seems like a waste to go through all that trouble for one game, and then schedule a Sabres "home" game in NYC.    Thanks Bettman Brandon , you idiot.

FTFY.

• 3 weeks later...

Are they unveiling the Jersey?

No clue. Other than Mike Harrington tweeting he's going to it I can find not one iota of info. Way to promote the product, NHL. Have a press conference but let's not try to get anyone interested.

Oh, good, celebrity Rangers fan Matt Harvey slated to appear.

this league.

Hence why I will be boycotting the entire stupid thing. 

C'mon. 

You're going to roll out of bed on New Year's Day after your unfortunate companion from the night before serves you breakfast in bed, stumble over to the couch, load up on water, coffee and advil, turn on the TV... and NOT watch Eichel and the Sabres playing an outdoor game on national TV? 

Do you expect us to believe that?

C'mon. 

You're going to roll out of bed on New Year's Day after your unfortunate companion from the night before serves you breakfast in bed, stumble over to the couch, load up on water, coffee and advil, turn on the TV... and NOT watch Eichel and the Sabres playing an outdoor game on national TV? 

Yes. 

C'mon. 

He probably thinks Georgia will be playing on New Year's Day.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.