Sabres 2018 winter classic

FLYNNSanity

Ouch, hope they're not that much this time around! Thanks for the info, though.

I kept an eye on ticket prices for the Pittsburgh stadium series game earlier this month. Those were really affordable, and I almost wound up going. Like $50. But it was a random day in March, in Pittsburgh. Not New Years in NYC. Maybe I'll get priced out :P

Best of luck to you friend! My only suggestion is look often after they go on sale in October. Never know may be able to find a seat for cheaper with some luck.

• 1 month later...

So Sabres get 40 home games next year, Rangers get 42.  

In terms of not playing the game at New Era when there just happens to be an ice surface set up... I understand the arguments about the logistics around hosting two events on the same ice in a short period of time, but at the end of the day it's about the NHL's lack willingness to focus resources on it. We already know the NHL will prioritize the Rangers over the Sabres for any number of reasons. The logistical challenges associated with the WJC are great excuse to not bother investing the resources in activities that result in being "fair" to the Sabres. The NHL isn't particularly interested in being 'fair' to it's franchises, it's interested in maximizing revenue and ticket prices and ratings will be higher with a game held in NYC. 

Disappointing as a Sabres fan, but not at all surprising. 

I wonder what jersey , read it might the Goathead.

If they're going w/ a Goathead theme & the Sabres "home" game is in NYC, wonder if they'd break out a white black version of the "9/11" unis? Only wore black white & that was only a 1 time thing.

Absolutely hate them losing a home game & also playing in a baseball stadium especially when there are perfectly good football stadiums w/ sightlines made for hockey available. Thanks, Russ. <_<

[Edit: Definitely need more coffee this AM. :doh: ]

Edited by Taro T

So Sabres get 40 home games next year, Rangers get 42.

In terms of not playing the game at New Era when there just happens to be an ice surface set up... I understand the arguments about the logistics around hosting two events on the same ice in a short period of time, but at the end of the day it's about the NHL's lack willingness to focus resources on it. We already know the NHL will prioritize the Rangers over the Sabres for any number of reasons. The logistical challenges associated with the WJC are great excuse to not bother investing the resources in activities that result in being "fair" to the Sabres. The NHL isn't particularly interested in being 'fair' to it's franchises, it's interested in maximizing revenue and ticket prices and ratings will be higher with a game held in NYC.

Disappointing as a Sabres fan, but not at all surprising.

I agree with much of what you said, patricularly how the league will favor the rags. But to be fair, I live 4 1/2 hours from Buffalo, 2 hours from NYC and Im still in Sabres brodcast territory. The league literally gave the Sabres all of upstate ny (not just western ny) out of fairness.

###### that.

I guess Rangers games in Buffalo are practically home games for them anyway though

Eh not as bad as toronto games. It's usually about 1/3 maybe half. I've been to two sabres/ Rags games so far and I would say about half and half.

Why does this count as a home game.

The Sabres team president has demonstrated in the past that additional money in the owners' coffers is worth losing the home town advantage. If it's ok to give away 12.5% of your advantage, giving away a mere 2.4% for exposure & $'s is a no brainer.

Thanks, Russ. <_<

Why do they insist on doing this stuff in places where it rains more than it snows during the winter? 

Terrible location for a 'winter classic' 

Jan 1 2018 - only ~ 7 1/2 months away - we could be a team on the rebound by then..... or mired in the bottom mud and ooze of the Atlantic.  

Terrible location for a 'winter classic'

Jan 1 2018 - only ~ 7 1/2 months away - we could be a team on the rebound by then..... or mired in the bottom mud and ooze of the Atlantic.

They want it to be close to times square, play off of the whole new years thing. If it were up to me it would be in orchard park again (even though it would double my travel time if I can get a ticket). I'm honestly ecstatic were in it again. Tons of exposure for Sabres I can't wait.

Why does this count as a home game.

Something to do with MSG venue stipulations. Rags have to play a certain amount of games every year in the garden.

Yep, as part of the MSG renovations deal, the Rags agreed to play all home games in MSG. They face a rather stiff penalty if any home games aren't in that building.

I agree with much of what you said, patricularly how the league will favor the rags. But to be fair, I live 4 1/2 hours from Buffalo, 2 hours from NYC and Im still in Sabres brodcast territory. The league literally gave the Sabres all of upstate ny (not just western ny) out of fairness.

Does it really work that way? I.e. the league determines where MSG can broadcast Rangers (or Islanders) vs. Sabres games, or what MSG channels DirectTV or the cable company chooses to carry for each package offered to consumers? I live 3 hours from Buffalo and 4 from NYC and get all the Rangers and the Sabres games without any special sports packages.  If I switch providers that may no longer be true.  

If you mean the definition of "in market" vs. "out of market" for NHL game packages (on DirectTV or online) then maybe that is by fiat of the NHL. BuI I have to believe they are drawing the lines to maximize revenue there as well, as opposed to 'fairness'. 

My experience (granted it was a long time ago) was that once you hit Albany the Sabres/Rangers mix starts to tilt towards the Rangers, but Syracuse/Binghamton is still more Sabres area.  I'm sure this is all known in some great detail by somebody at Google or FaceBook. 

Does it really work that way? I.e. the league determines where MSG can broadcast Rangers (or Islanders) vs. Sabres games, or what MSG channels DirectTV or the cable company chooses to carry for each package offered to consumers? I live 3 hours from Buffalo and 4 from NYC and get all the Rangers and the Sabres games without any special sports packages. If I switch providers that may no longer be true.

If you mean the definition of "in market" vs. "out of market" for NHL game packages (on DirectTV or online) then maybe that is by fiat of the NHL. BuI I have to believe they are drawing the lines to maximize revenue there as well, as opposed to 'fairness'.

My experience (granted it was a long time ago) was that once you hit Albany the Sabres/Rangers mix starts to tilt towards the Rangers, but Syracuse/Binghamton is still more Sabres area. I'm sure this is all known in some great detail by somebody at Google or FaceBook.

It does work that way because the league determines geographical territory for all the teams. Because NYC is so densely populated, to even things out, the league deems all of upstate ny Sabres territory.

For example, im in the Albany market and we get all of the Sabres games on MSG, and a portion of rags/ isles/ devils games. If the Sabres are on, Sabres take precedence. All about parity. That's how I became a Sabres fan. People here HATE it but I'm actually beginning to see young Sabres fans, proving it actually is effective.

Rags are still the most fan favorite in the Albany area, along with NJ (cause of our AHL history) and bruins. But if you want to follow a team in Albany without getting center ice, it's Sabres.

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-blackout-rules-insane/

http://1045theteam.com/its-time-to-end-the-nhls-blackout-policy/

Edited by Saratoga Sabres Fan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.