Sabres 2018 winter classic

FLYNNSanity

I'll probably go to this, why not? It also looks like this will count as a "home" game for the Sabres due to the MSG - Rangers agreement.

This means the Sabres will be playing in Barclays twice next year, MSG twice and Citifield once. Please, please, please, please have a new coach so I'm tempted to see the Sabres 5 times next season.

If the Sabres really are the "home" team in this game, it will do nothing to dispel the commonly held opinion of those thst live far from NYS that Buffalo is essentially a suburb of NYC.

Cool that they're going to play in the WC for the anniversary. Stinks that it isn't in Rich, it isn't even in a football stadium, & that the Sabres are getting hosed out of a home game.

Other than being unable to get the Sabres logo or the WC logo set up at CI rather than the WJC logo in 3 days with assurance the ice would be good, is there any other reason they couldn't have the stadium ready for both events if the game were in OP?

If the Sabres really are the "home" team in this game, it will do nothing to dispel the commonly held opinion of those thst live far from NYS that Buffalo is essentially a suburb of NYC.

Cool that they're going to play in the WC for the anniversary. Stinks that it isn't in Rich, it isn't even in a football stadium, & that the Sabres are getting hosed out of a home game.

Other than being unable to get the Sabres logo or the WC logo set up at CI rather than the WJC logo in 3 days with assurance the ice would be good, is there any other reason they couldn't have the stadium ready for both events if the game were in OP?

Spitballing here, I have no actual knowledge of things. I'd put my money on turnaround time to clean up the stadium. I've got a few friends who work for a venue near here and depending on the event cleanup can either be 3 hours or 2 days. And after a Buffalo crowd, at Rich, I'd imagine that would be a lot of urine and vomit to clean up in 1 day. Not to mention all the broken tables.

Part of it is advertising.  If they have different sponsors, they would have to repaint them on the ice, and replace all the signage on the boards.

If the Sabres are the home team, they should get the majority of the gate receipts from Citi.  Unfortunately the crowd will be mostly Ranger fans.  Will they boo when the Sabres goal song says; "Somebody make some noise in this place" (assuming they score).

Part of it is advertising.  If they have different sponsors, they would have to repaint them on the ice, and replace all the signage on the boards.

If the Sabres are the home team, they should get the majority of the gate receipts from Citi.  Unfortunately the crowd will be mostly Ranger fans.  Will they boo when the Sabres goal song says; "Somebody make some noise in this place" (assuming they score).

Signage on the boards is simply tearing one set of decals off and placing other ones on. 2 hours max for the whole rink. And I'd aleady brought up the issue of changing logos on the ice. (It's not significantly more time/effort to thaw & refreeze 5 large chunks of the rink than just 1.)

When the Sabres hosted the 1st WC, the league "bought" the game from the Sabres & the Sabres (& Pens) got their normal ~18k worth of attendance credited towards their revenues & the league took the rest. Expect this'll work similarly.

Just dumb having the Sabres as the home team in NYC.

For the love or god, stop putting these games in baseball stadiums. Only about 3% of the crowd can actually see the game.

Citifield site lines are great... they built it right... think you like it... Built straight up behind homeplate and along baselines pretty cosy...

Also concessions and restraurants on every level.

Citifield site lines are great... they built it right... think you like it... Built straight up behind homeplate and along baselines pretty cosy...Also concessions and restraurants on every level.

for hockey? :wacko:

If they are, it's the only baseball stadium in the world (that doesn't have movable stand sections like the 70's era "cookie cutter" multi use stadiums, & even those had issues towards football endzones) that does have them. (Or does it also have moveable stand sections, ala the Astrodome?)

Edited by Taro T

Signage on the boards is simply tearing one set of decals off and placing other ones on. 2 hours max for the whole rink. And I'd aleady brought up the issue of changing logos on the ice. (It's not significantly more time/effort to thaw & refreeze 5 large chunks of the rink than just 1.)

When the Sabres hosted the 1st WC, the league "bought" the game from the Sabres & the Sabres (& Pens) got their normal ~18k worth of attendance credited towards their revenues & the league took the rest. Expect this'll work similarly.

Just dumb having the Sabres as the home team in NYC.

I'm not an expert, but I suspect doing it outdoors in the cold elements might make it more difficult and time consuming. They might apply the board signage indoors before they're put up, and thawing ice when it's below freezing outside isn't the same as turning the coolant compressor off indoors. Plus for the outdoor games they like to set up the ice days in advance so it has time to freeze properly and then get worked on daily. And it could be different issues if it's above freezing or raining.

I'm not an expert, but I suspect doing it outdoors in the cold elements might make it more difficult and time consuming. They might apply the board signage indoors before they're put up, and thawing ice when it's below freezing outside isn't the same as turning the coolant compressor off indoors. Plus for the outdoor games they like to set up the ice days in advance so it has time to freeze properly and then get worked on daily. And it could be different issues if it's above freezing or raining.

No F'ing #### Sherlock. That's why I'd written "Other than being unable to get the Sabres logo or the WC logo set up at CI rather than the WJC logo in 3 days with assurance the ice would be good, is there any other reason they couldn't have the stadium ready for both events if the game were in OP?"

They try to have the ice hard for a full week prior to the game to ensure quality ice. But, they could work out either a special sponsorship deal to have an advertiser participate in both games or use "Fox tracks" to alter the logos on TV (where the real money is just like the ads you see "on the glass" behind the net.

The board ads could be replaced easily enough in 2 hours, muchh less 3 days.

Issues w/ cleaning the stadium seem overcomable, especially considering how quickly they can get volunteers to clear out the stands when a typical snowstorm hits.

It would seem that ice relogoing would be the primary concern & cannibalizing attendance at the HSBC & Harbor Center WJC games a major secondary one.

Really? That's disheartening 

That's what I've gathered from a quick google search; I really want to go to the WC next year now but it will sell out immediately. Stub hub and similar sites will be very expensive according to what I've seen online of previous WC games.

That's what I've gathered from a quick google search; I really want to go to the WC next year now but it will sell out immediately. Stub hub and similar sites will be very expensive according to what I've seen online of previous WC games.

I make good money and have no bills outside of rent and student loans. I don't mind spending money for memories, even when I was making minimum. It's something I'll never understand about people my age: do this kinda stuff now while you can and can afford to. I have my retirements set and a good savings, I don't care about dropping $400 and the trouble of travel for an experience like this

I make good money and have no bills outside of rent and student loans. I don't mind spending money for memories, even when I was making minimum. It's something I'll never understand about people my age: do this kinda stuff now while you can and can afford to. I have my retirements set and a good savings, I don't care about dropping $400 and the trouble of travel for an experience like this

Agreed. I'm also going especially since it's right before tax return season. I just spent $330 for tickets last saturday and $235 for one night at HC Marriott. Just mentioned the price so people don't get discouraged later this year after getting their hopes up.

Hope you learned your lesson.

for hockey? :wacko:

If they are, it's the only baseball stadium in the world (that doesn't have movable stand sections like the 70's era "cookie cutter" multi use stadiums, & even those had issues towards football endzones) that does have them. (Or does it also have moveable stand sections, ala the Astrodome?)

Not sure about moveable stands but upper deck where I usually sit was looking down onto homeplate and not a lot of room along foul lines which were not moveable. Only the outfield would be far away, unlike the Ralph great atmosphere but not about watching hockey.

I like how it said we have a more national draw than the Isles; this is very true. Look how we travel in all of our road games. Look how many Sabres fans have migrated to other parts of the country. Our tv ratings are the highest in the states. Not to mention even in the Adirondacks you're more likely to see a Sabres fan rather than and Isles fan.

I like how it said we have a more national draw than the Isles; this is very true. Look how we travel in all of our road games. Look how many Sabres fans have migrated to other parts of the country. Our tv ratings are the highest in the states. Not to mention even in the Adirondacks you're more likely to see a Sabres fan rather than and Isles fan.

This is true. There are 3 Sabres fans on my hockey team. There's only one flyers fan. The rest of the team has a conflict of interest, in that they work for the baby penguins.

I have a buddy who is a huge Rangers fan and lives in NYC. Our teams playing + outdoor game + New Year's in NYC + a free place to stay = a good time if you ask me.

Planning to keep an eye on ticket prices when they come out. Never looked for Winter Classic tickets before though.. Anyone know if they're released earlier than normal game tickets?

I have a buddy who is a huge Rangers fan and lives in NYC. Our teams playing + outdoor game + New Year's in NYC + a free place to stay = a good time if you ask me.

Planning to keep an eye on ticket prices when they come out. Never looked for Winter Classic tickets before though.. Anyone know if they're released earlier than normal game tickets?

The NHL sells them mid October through ticketmaster. They are virtually impossible to get directly; they sell out in seconds. Second hand is the only way, about $400 per ticket maybe $450.

The NHL sells them mid October through ticketmaster. They are virtually impossible to get directly; they sell out in seconds. Second hand is the only way, about $400 per ticket maybe $450.

Ouch, hope they're not that much this time around! Thanks for the info, though.

I kept an eye on ticket prices for the Pittsburgh stadium series game earlier this month. Those were really affordable, and I almost wound up going. Like $50. But it was a random day in March, in Pittsburgh. Not New Years in NYC. Maybe I'll get priced out :P

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.