Update: Sabres sign D Man Viktor Antipin to 1yr ELC

Brawndo

I have a conspiracy theory, which may just have some substance. The reports a Russian named Antipin was coming here surfaced March 14th. We end up firing not only our coach, but also GM. Strangely, this doesn't faze him at all - still says he's signing with the Sabres. We also heard he was considering the Pens, but no, he's still signing with the team with no HC instead of the SC contender.

JBot was hired and comes out and says plans haven't changed in regards to Antipin signing Sabres. Then we hear rumblings that Pegs had contacted JBot while GMTM was still employed, at some point at the end of the season.

Just what if JBot was the person who oringally recruited Antipin, but not for Pens, but the Sabres? This would mean JBot would've had a gentleman's agreement with Pegs before March 14th. As well as GMTM being dead man walking before March 14th as well.

This is the most believable and likely scenario yet.

I gotta say, looking at Lee's career tempers my already tepid enthusiasm. I'm more convinced than ever that the KHL is a MUCH lesser league. I hope this kid can help us, but I'm not expecting much.

Eh, he was named first team all-star in the league. I wouldn't be even remotely excited about a run of the mill KHLer, but he was one of the best players in the league. I don't have huge expectations or anything, but if he simply holds down a solid 3rd pairing role, he's a nice addition.

Eh, he was named first team all-star in the league. I wouldn't be even remotely excited about a run of the mill KHLer, but he was one of the best players in the league. I don't have huge expectations or anything, but if he simply holds down a solid 3rd pairing role, he's a nice addition.

This. Saying he will be a legit top-four guy right off the bat is a stretch.

But I don't think it's unreasonable to hope he can be a Jason Woolley-esque, puck-moving #5, while expecting him to at least be as good or better than Fedun.

But I don't think it's unreasonable to hope he can be a Jason Woolley-esque, puck-moving #5, while expecting him to at least be as good or better than Fedun.

Good comparable, we could use a Keith but Woolley will help.

He may also help on the PP.

I watched him play a bit in the IIHF WHC and he wasn't a standout but he can skate and helped the Russians move he puck.

He seemed comfortable on their PP.

And if he's coming here, it's to be in the top 6. Realistically, for better or worse, our right side is likely set with Ristolainen, Antipin, and Bogosian. Who plays what pair will depend on fit.

Our left side is the question mark. We have McCabe, Gorges, Falk, and Guhle. Guhle may be in the A. Gorges and Falk really shouldn't be in the top 6 on a consistent basis.

Lots of room for upgrade on the left side. Looking at you, JBot.

And if he's coming here, it's to be in the top 6. Realistically, for better or worse, our right side is likely set with Ristolainen, Antipin, and Bogosian. Who plays what pair will depend on fit.

Our left side is the question mark. We have McCabe, Gorges, Falk, and Guhle. Guhle may be in the A. Gorges and Falk really shouldn't be in the top 6 on a consistent basis.

Lots of room for upgrade on the left side. Looking at you, JBot.

Once again, Derek Forbort comes to mind  :ph34r:

I thought he was coming in on Saturday?

Says the 29th, which is Monday. "Antipin told reporters he plans on leaving for Buffalo on May 29th." so he might actually not be here until Tuesday (depending on where he leaves Russia from and how long it takes him.

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/sabres/who-is-viktor-antipin-what-can-sabres-fans-expect 

Enough with the conspiracy theory.  Antipin is signing here because this might be his best chance ever to earn top 4 minutes in the NHL.  TM looked at Vaitsev up the road and realized that if he succeeded maybe there was another "similar" player who could succeed here and he went and found Antipin.  The GM change did nothing to change the facts on the ground.  We still need inexpensive puck moving D with upside potential.  Because Jbot has a good relationship with Antipin's agent just made the transition to the new GM easier.    

Says the 29th, which is Monday. "Antipin told reporters he plans on leaving for Buffalo on May 29th." so he might actually not be here until Tuesday (depending on where he leaves Russia from and how long it takes him.

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/sabres/who-is-viktor-antipin-what-can-sabres-fans-expect 

My bad.  I thought I heard 27th for some reason.

He's playing a game of chicken with Toronto's front office, waiting for them to swoop in last second.

:w00t:  :unsure:  :cry:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.