Update: Sabres sign D Man Viktor Antipin to 1yr ELC

Brawndo

Very good news

Thanks Brawndo for the update. Here's the link. http://www.wkbw.com/tablet-showcase/sabres-to-land-antipin-sooner-than-expected

Everyone says good news, but I read this: 

Kalnins says the timetable has changed because other NHL teams appear interested and the Sabres want to ensure they can get a deal finalized.

and I get nervous.  :unsure:   I'll be relieved when he's on contract, but this is what I've been worried about the whole time.

Interesting related development. Tor just re-signed Zaitsev for 7 years 31.5 million. This is an overpayment for him, considering he is already 25 and just one year of experience in the NHL.

Is this what we can expect if Antipin has a good year next year? Would it be worth it?

Interesting related development. Tor just re-signed Zaitsev for 7 years 31.5 million. This is an overpayment for him, considering he is already 25 and just one year of experience in the NHL.

Is this what we can expect if Antipin has a good year next year? Would it be worth it?

Downside of it maybe, but if he performs the same I wouldn't mind that.  As to overpayment 4.5 - 5 mill doesn't seem to bad ? 

I'd hope that we could go lower on the term, but the AAV seems about right.

Assuming Antipin has as good a year as Zaitsev that would be a wonderful development. However such a contract could become an issue with Kane, Jack and Sam to re-sign, especially if we can somehow add a Brodin or Vatanen this off-season with losing Kane. This possibility makes it more important then ever to move on from Moulson and Ennis.

Zaitsev's KHL numbers were 317gm, 32g, and 95 pts. He is 6'2, 195' (last 2 KHL playoffs 36gms, 21pts)

Antipin's KHL numbers are 266gm, 36g and 98 pts. Vic is 5'11 174' (Last w KHL playoffs 41gms, 18pts)

Pretty similar, although Nik is a little bigger, Vik, is a year younger and my guess is a little better skater.

The signing of Zaitsev is very interesting...obviously the leafs are also having to face the same reality as we will, having to pay young guys big bucks  and fit other players into the cap-driven structure. They have 2 other defencemen making big money in Reilly and Gardiner while at forward they have JVR, Bozak & Kardi at big bucks and all their young guys will have to be paid too.

If we can clear some cap space by losing big contracts in Bogo, Gorges, Ennis & Moulson we should be in possibly better shape to meet the future salary demands including Antinpin, if he works out as good as we are all hoping.

The big question is...do we re-sign Evander kane who will no doubt command big bucks after a great season?

Still expecting the Leafs to swoop in and sign Antipin while TPegs and KPegs dillydally around looking for a G.M.

somehow it would not surprise me...and what's up with 7 years? Money seems not too bad but the term??? I thought the Leafs were trying to stop being the laughs and handing out big long contracts they are stuck with for too many years. I can see mathews or their other young guys but  this one seem sa little overboard

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/botterill-my-past-experiences-will-help-me-buffalo

On Viktor Antipin:

"I don't have an update for you or the fans right now, but it's a situation where we certainly have a very good relationship with his agent. We'll be following up with him immediately [after the World Championship] to see where that's at."

Certainly sounds like he has an interest in Viktor.

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/botterill-my-past-experiences-will-help-me-buffalo

On Viktor Antipin:

"I don't have an update for you or the fans right now, but it's a situation where we certainly have a very good relationship with his agent. We'll be following up with him immediately [after the World Championship] to see where that's at."

Certainly sounds like he has an interest in Viktor.

There's really no need to wait until the World Championship is over.

No need to wait, but no need to rush either.

Perhaps that was the timetable discussed with his agent earlier.

I think that was the first example of Botterill being typically GM cagey as opposed to Murray's MO.

Too much fire here for me to worry about this one.

(And yet another example of our parallels to the Leafs "our Zaitsev")

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.