Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

Again:  a loser's lament.

The Pats don't beat themselves with stupid decisions (on or off the field), turnovers, botched assignments, etc., and they have the greatest QB and greatest coach of all time. 

Coaching, intelligence and execution were the reasons for the penalty disparity vs Jax.  It wasn't, and isn't, "the refs."

But hey -- whatever gets you through the night.

So, like the Falcons in the SB last year, Jax had a lead, shriveled up under pressure, played not to lose and let TFB ###### their prize away?

No, no -- it's a league conspiracy!  "The refs" were on their side! 

This is weirdly strong advocacy for the detestable Patriots -- especially coming from a Bills fan (?).

You're harping on the foolishness of the refs being part of some conspiracy. Agreed there. What of the points I made upthread about the Pats -- like Jordan -- getting (way) more than their fair share of breaks because the refs are unwittingly influenced by their "aura"?

As much as I dislike the Pats, people aren't watching the video around that pic very closely.  There are Jaguar players in the area and when Flemming goes to congratulate White, the official quickly goes after him to stop him from seemingly going after a Jags player.  Once he gets Flemming, a very large guy, to turn out of the way and sees that he's actually just congratulating a teammate, the official laughs about it (when the screen captured was taken.)  As the video continues, you see him backing away from Flemming and White with his hands out toward them, saying "OK, OK."  The official wasn't celebrating with them, he was laughing at himself for seeing something that wasn't actually happening.

There is no place for this kind of analysis here.

This is weirdly strong advocacy for the detestable Patriots -- especially coming from a Bills fan (?).

You're harping on the foolishness of the refs being part of some conspiracy. Agreed there. What of the points I made upthread about the Pats -- like Jordan -- getting (way) more than their fair share of breaks because the refs are unwittingly influenced by their "aura"?

Well, I suppose you are right that the refs are human and accordingly susceptible to this type of influence -- but I think the effects are minimal.  These guys are evaluated thoroughly after each game.  Any bias in favor of any team is going to be identified and corrected.

FWIW, I think the situation is different for Jordan/LeBron/other NBA stars -- I think that league has in fact made a conscious decision to allow the major stars to get more calls.

As for defending the Pats -- I would have freaking loved it for the Bills to have beaten Jax and then to have gone into Foxboro and put that dynasty into the ground.  But at the same time, I hate to see my fellow Bills fans sounding like a bunch of whiny losers -- which is the unavoidable conclusion I come to when I see these ridiculous claims about unfair refereeing. 

A call here or there?  Yes, the refs make mistakes all the time.  But they even out over time.  The Bills got plenty of them this year, as did the Pats' opponents.

Well, I suppose you are right that the refs are human and accordingly susceptible to this type of influence -- but I think the effects are minimal.  These guys are evaluated thoroughly after each game.  Any bias in favor of any team is going to be identified and corrected.

FWIW, I think the situation is different for Jordan/LeBron/other NBA stars -- I think that league has in fact made a conscious decision to allow the major stars to get more calls.

As for defending the Pats -- I would have freaking loved it for the Bills to have beaten Jax and then to have gone into Foxboro and put that dynasty into the ground.  But at the same time, I hate to see my fellow Bills fans sounding like a bunch of whiny losers -- which is the unavoidable conclusion I come to when I see these ridiculous claims about unfair refereeing. 

A call here or there?  Yes, the refs make mistakes all the time.  But they even out over time.  The Bills got plenty of them this year, as did the Pats' opponents.

They won't even out in our lifetimes.

IMO, the yuck-yuckity stuff in the end zone, the seeking out of Brady immediately at the final whistle ... that stuff is indicative of something having taken hold. And that something matters. And I don't think the resultant imbalance of calls are apt to even out over time -- not in the short-term, anyway.

I'm fairly zen about it, though. Like I said: You earn your breaks. The Patriots succeeded enough that Belichick and Brady have become demi-gods -- and the refs are not immune to that.

Did anyone see the post-Jax game presser where Belichick gave a somewhat ... dismissive answer regarding Brady's injury?

Well, I suppose you are right that the refs are human and accordingly susceptible to this type of influence -- but I think the effects are minimal. These guys are evaluated thoroughly after each game. Any bias in favor of any team is going to be identified and corrected.

As for defending the Pats -- I would have freaking loved it for the Bills to have beaten Jax and then to have gone into Foxboro and put that dynasty into the ground. But at the same time, I hate to see my fellow Bills fans sounding like a bunch of whiny losers -- which is the unavoidable conclusion I come to when I see these ridiculous claims about unfair refereeing.

A call here or there? Yes, the refs make mistakes all the time. But they even out over time. The Bills got plenty of them this year, as did the Pats' opponents.

So your position is unfounded conspiracy theories are valid for the NBA, but not the NFL?

Do the eagles stand a chance?

Hard to say "no."

OTOH, I really thought that Jax had the best chance. The key to beating Brady is always getting pressure with your front 4 and then covering the sh1t out of the receivers. Jax had the horses to do that. More than anything, they were let down by their coaches.

I'm not sure that Philly has the personnel to do what must be done.

Hard to say "no."

OTOH, I really thought that Jax had the best chance. The key to beating Brady is always getting pressure with your front 4 and then covering the sh1t out of the receivers. Jax had the horses to do that. More than anything, they were let down by their coaches.

I'm not sure that Philly has the personnel to do what must be done.

Philly was also a top 5 D IIRC, and can absolutely get pressure with their front 4. And their nowhere near as undisciplined. And they have an incredibly deep and efficient offense to go with it, instead of Blake Bortles. Hopefully they give you guys a game to watch.

...or maybe Lehner isn’t very good and the Pats are extremely good.

The call people are complaining the most about is the “fumble” return the officials supposedly didn’t allow the Jags to return.

It wasn’t even a fumble! After the RB losses control, with his knee on the ground, he then pins then balls to his side, and the balls stops moving completely. That’s control in the rule book for a runner. He was down, no fumble.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/21/patriots-fumble-dion-lewis-patriots-jaguars-video

I hate all teams from Philly. They have the worst fans. The thought of them winning a Super Bowl is just awful.

But another win by the Pats. Disgusting!

Maybe I just won’t watch.

i have no intention of watching the super bowl. I will be watching the puppy bowl. even thou it is a clear PR move to get people to adopt puppies

For the file regarding why certain fans distrust/mistrust Russ Brandon and want him exorcised from the franchise.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/01/24/bills-subtract-analytics-staff/

Brandon gave a glimpse into their approach for a June 2016 story in The Buffalo News. Brandon conceded it's fair to say Lyons' work pertained more to the Bills' ticket pricing than with X's and O's. "We look at it from a holistic perspective," Brandon said. "We hired Michael to oversee all of our business analytics at well. He is a crucial part of the mix between marketing and content and the decisions we make in all platforms of our business.

"Most people assume the analytics person is driving data and running it down the hall to the GM. But it's a lot bigger than that.

In a quote from Brandon's interview that didn't make it into the story, he noted Lyons' role in generating football data was predicated on the direction given.

"With Jim Monos and the player personnel department and with Rex and his coordinators and [contract negotiator] Jim Overdorf and his department," Brandon said, "Michael is able to provide information that is almost custom to what they may or may not be looking for."

Edited by That Aud Smell

It really isn't.  Take Jackson or Rudolph (I think they prefer Rudolph) at 21 and be done with it. If they suck, draft another one next year. 

Or take a free agent.  There are three good ones.

But I'd love Rudolph at 21 (or 22).  I don't want them to trade up.

Or take a free agent.  There are three good ones.

But I'd love Rudolph at 21 (or 22).  I don't want them to trade up.

Sam Bradford? 

If I get a UFA QB, I still might take one in the draft. I would also draft in the first 3 rounds at least 2 offensive linemen. Protect your QB