GDT Ottawa at Buffalo, February 4, 2017, 7pm (MSG)

Eleven

Impressive win.

Lehner actually caught a few that normally become rebounds. Hopefully these last 2 efforts have his confidence level up. (He said he's been seeing the puck better since the Habs game, even though he got lit up in that one.)

Kulikov finally seems to be able to skate.

*******Gorges looked ok on the 3rd pair******.

I picture that all next season. He plays his limited time full go.

Night SS.

Thanks for another great GDT.

Impressive win.

Lehner actually caught a few that normally become rebounds. Hopefully these last 2 efforts have his confidence level up. (He said he's been seeing the puck better since the Habs game, even though he got lit up in that one.)

Kulikov finally seems to be able to skate.

Gorges looked ok on the 3rd pair.

I saw a guy in a Taro jersey there tonight. Any chance you were sitting around 319 with that jersey on?

Jack needs to do something about that acne

Still getting more than me and my face is clean.

I judge Lehner like a defensive defenceman: the fewer posts about him in the GDT, the better he must have played.

79 saves on his last 81 shots, every single one of those shots easy. I'm sure Ryan Vinz would have stopped every single one of those shots in his sleep.

I like how he was there for his teammates when they started sucking in the second.

I like how the team paid him back by sticking a knife in the Sens in the third.

That's how good teams do it.

KO with the goal of the game, but Samson's hands on his? Sweetness and cool. Personified.

Edited by dudacek

Where is this team, the one that played tonight, most of the time?

I think that Disco Dan has no earthly idea how to make adjustments to account for the styles certain teams play.  So Montreal will usually beat us.  We will usually beat Ottawa.  I will say this though:  When the Sabres position themselves to the point where "active sticks" make a difference- when we can block their passes and disrupt their puck movement- we win.  I think DD doesn't understand how certain teams move the puck well enough to tell the players where to be.  He's got Ottawa figured out.  I think he's shown he just doesn't have a clue about enough other teams to want to keep him around.

Jack was on fire all night.  It's a shame he didn't score, but he had 2 primary assists and he managed to keep Ottawa from mounting much of an attack when he was out there.

but Samson's hands on his? Sweetness and cool. Personified.

I hope we hang onto Samson for a good, long time.  He and Jack seem to be catalysts for each other.  They play off each other very well.  Foligno at his best can keep up with them, but he can't stay at that level all the time (it's just too much to ask).  He's an okay LW for that line at the moment, but I hope they can find someone who can equal the synergy that Jack and Samson produce.  Maybe it's Nylander.

I hope we hang onto Samson for a good, long time.  He and Jack seem to be catalysts for each other.  They play off each other very well.  Foligno at his best can keep up with them, but he can't stay at that level all the time (it's just too much to ask).  He's an okay LW for that line at the moment, but I hope they can find someone who can equal the synergy that Jack and Samson produce.  Maybe it's Nylander.

I agree about Foligno, although I will say this - If Jack and Samson stay together, I really want someone with Foligno's boardgame out there with them.

A guy who can hold on to the puck in the corner, and throw his body around on the forecheck, when needed.

Would like to see someone with better hands, though.

I agree about Foligno, although I will say this - If Jack and Samson stay together, I really want someone with Foligno's boardgame out there with them.

A guy who can hold on to the puck in the corner, and throw his body around on the forecheck, when needed.

Would like to see someone with better hands, though.

Don't forget "go after (fight) anyone who takes a run at them."

I love beating Ottawa. I think I like when we beat them more than any other team. Not sure why.

Eichel played a great game. His twi assist were great, but halos made a couple of other plays that were so good that his line mates weren't ready for. If they were, he would have had even more assists.

I wish Jack played better with others.

Has he had decent chemistry with anyone other than Sam?

It almost forces Bylsma to continue playing Sam out of position.

I remain hopeful that Fasching and Nylander are his ultimate running mates.

I see no reason to break up Sam and Jack, especially when the team is healthy.

I wish Jack played better with others.

Has he had decent chemistry with anyone other than Sam?

It almost forces Bylsma to continue playing Sam out of position.

I remain hopeful that Fasching and Nylander are his ultimate running mates.

I really don't think it's Jack. He set everyone up in perfect position last night

Chemistry is a two-way street to be sure, but he seems to be the common factor too often.

Dont you think it's notable that every player seems to click with Sam, or Ryan - plumber or skilled guy?

Or that everybody seems to have had a boost playing with Gionta, other than Jack?

I'm not trying to make a big deal of it. I don't think it's a huge issue and I do think it should disappear with maturity.

But it's there.

Chemistry is a two-way street to be sure, but he seems to be the common factor too often.

Dont you think it's notable that every player seems to click with Sam, or Ryan - plumber or skilled guy?

Or that everybody seems to have had a boost playing with Gionta, other than Jack?

I'm not trying to make a big deal of it. I don't think it's a huge issue and I do think it should disappear with maturity.

But it's there.

I still think it's on them and not Jack. He's so strong on the stick that no matter what position he is in, he is able to get the puck to where he wants it to go, even when he doesn't look like it. I think it catches his line mates off-guard.

But it's there.

Can't say I've watched critically.  Maybe it is a product of his style of play?  We see the same thing with Kane and we know it is his style of play.  He needs a certain type of player with him.  Jack may be the same.  Maybe missing out on Vessey is a bigger deal?

I still think it's on them and not Jack. He's so strong on the stick that no matter what position he is in, he is able to get the puck to where he wants it to go, even when he doesn't look like it. I think it catches his line mates off-guard.

The Sabres have this problem as a team -- no one knows what to do in the offensive zone when they don't have the puck when it's 5v5.  Guys are surprised when the puck comes to them in front of the net and, worse, when someone else has the puck, you'll see guys stop moving instead of getting to a place on the ice where they can receive a pass or try to get open so that they can shoot it when they get it.  

When Jack (or Sam or ROR) has the puck, crash the net and expect either a pass or a rebound.  Then bury it.

The Sabres have this problem as a team -- no one knows what to do in the offensive zone when they don't have the puck when it's 5v5. Guys are surprised when the puck comes to them in front of the net and, worse, when someone else has the puck, you'll see guys stop moving instead of getting to a place on the ice where they can receive a pass or try to get open so that they can shoot it when they get it.

When Jack (or Sam or ROR) has the puck, crash the net and expect either a pass or a rebound. Then bury it.

This. There are 3-4 players who are actually actively trying to find space in our own zone. What's even worse is the neutral zone. Go to a game and watch our breakouts. It's 3 guys standing stone still in the neutral zone. OK the biggest one of all

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.