Keep or Trade Evander Kane

WildCard

Keep or Trade   

132 members have voted

1. 1. Answer it

• Keep
    • Trade

I feel like the crux of the question is whether you trust Evander to stay this productive and this trouble free for the next 7-8 years because if you don't this is the high water mark of his trade value.  Next year he's rental and then you have to pay him as a UFA and SOMEBODY is going to give him a rich, long, contract.  If you trust Evander to not become a permanently unmoveable boat anchor, like he was this past summer, you keep him now, sign him to an extension and don't think twice.  If you don't, you basically have to trade him now to maximize the asset value.  As much as I love his game, I don't trust him.  Hence, in my mind, he has to be traded.  Not given away, but traded nonetheless.

Well said...sell while he's high, too volatile a personality. Nucks would be a good trading partner. Ducks would be better.

Is there really anyone left who wants to trade Kane considering he will likely be pushing for 30 goals this year?

The question is now even more timely.

For those with a good memory and the misfortune of actually reading the sh1t I post here, you'll recall that I had a visceral, somewhat irrational desire to kick this guy to the curb back in the late summer.

So there's that.

At this point in time, any trade involving Kane would need to involve a LHD that GM TM believes he can pair with Risto. 

I think there's a way in which, Kane has done so much to increase his trade value, that he's made it less likely that he will be traded (because the price is now pretty high).

Someone Tweeted something last night about Kane's 5-v-5 numbers since ... some point in time. The new year? Anyway, it was him and Crosby at the top of the list.

The question is now even more timely.

For those with a good memory and the misfortune of actually reading the sh1t I post here, you'll recall that I had a visceral, somewhat irrational desire to kick this guy to the curb back in the late summer.

So there's that.

At this point in time, any trade involving Kane would need to involve a LHD that GM TM believes he can pair with Risto. 

I think there's a way in which, Kane has done so much to increase his trade value, that he's made it less likely that he will be traded (because the price is now pretty high).

Someone Tweeted something last night about Kane's 5-v-5 numbers since ... some point in time. The new year? Anyway, it was him and Crosby at the top of the list.

I think he is/was #1 since December 1st?

I'm still on the "Top pair d-man or bust" train. His value is high right now, so now is EXACTLY WHEN YOU TRADE HIM. If you can get a good deal, do it now. He's scoring, he hasn't had any legal trouble in a while, I'm not sure if his trade value has ever been this high. With the rediculous prices on d-men over the last couple years he might be your best chance to grab someone you want.

Not that I need to trade him. He's the only player like him in our system right now. Fast power-forward who can score? God, who wouldn't we have murdered for that guy 5 years ago. But our wing depth is stronger than our d-depth; if you can get that perfect deal, make some hay while the sun yet shines.

Edited by sabills

Murray went for Kane.  Highly doubt he'll trade him.  Unless as many keep saying a huge offer involving a LHD is presented to Murray. I just don't see Kane getting traded though.  What Murray should be thinking is extending his contract in the offseason. 

we will see. if i had to guess Kane is finally hitting his stride and between him and Bailey Sabres finally have two tough speedy wingers. Bailey seems to have better vision pass to Reinhardt was awesome, and nice moves. Once he fully gets it he is going to be a force. I say keep both and look for D. Once Nylander and PU arrive Sabres are gonna be potent. Grigs, Foligno and Ennis will make great third and fourth line guys or nice trade bait for D. I am ok staying pat, but love to find a good young D.

Edited by North Buffalo

Considering the value of Kane to the team, *and* the off-ice concerns, I doubt anyone will pony up what GMTM would accept.

What I mean is that other GMs will devalue Kane due to his antics.  Which at this point is fine with me.

you are probably right, which is to bad.    We desperately need the D.  

In spite of his admittedly excellent play over the last couple of months, he still only has 29 pts, which ranks him 151st amongst NHL players.  He is tied for 35th in goals, but his 10 assists ranks him last out of the 13 players with 19 goals.  He is also ranked last (tied with Maroon, Rakell and Grabner) in assists amongst the top 30 goal scorers in the NHL and those guys all have more goals.

This is not a rant against Kane.  I have been impressed with his improved game and attitude and from the reaction of his teammates to him, it seems like he has some friends and is better liked on the Sabres then he was on Wpg.  Thus if we have to keep him, this isn't the worst thing.  He does however, need to spend the off-season working on creating more for him linemates.  One dimensional won't cut it long-term.    

In spite of his admittedly excellent play over the last couple of months, he still only has 29 pts, which ranks him 151st amongst NHL players.  He is tied for 35th in goals, but his 10 assists ranks him last out of the 13 players with 19 goals.  He is also ranked last (tied with Maroon, Rakell and Grabner) in assists amongst the top 30 goal scorers in the NHL and those guys all have more goals.

This is not a rant against Kane.  I have been impressed with his improved game and attitude and from the reaction of his teammates to him, it seems like he has some friends and is better liked on the Sabres then he was on Wpg.  Thus if we have to keep him, this isn't the worst thing.  He does however, need to spend the off-season working on creating more for him linemates.  One dimensional won't cut it long-term.    

Also not getting arrested or investigated. 

One dimensional won't cut it long-term.    

He does bring a lot for his linemates; it's just not the kind of stuff that gets counted as assists.  His speed creates chaos on the forecheck.  He also uses that speed on the backcheck and the penalty kill, and he's not afraid to throw his weight around.  He certainly is replaceable, but I have no desire to move him until his replacements are ready (which could happen by the time his contract is up).  I would keep him through next year.  I wouldn't be averse to resigning him, at the right price.  (Someone around here mentioned a rule of thumb of about paying about $100k per point scored; Kane's production this year projected out over 82 games played falls right in that range.  As the cap increases, so will that rule of thumb.)

But our wing depth is stronger than our d-depth; if you can get that perfect deal, make some hay while the sun yet shines.

Good post. I'll add more generally: You can sooner get/develop a good winger than you can a top/toppish d-man.

I just wonder whether Kane's value is, in fact, high enough to garner a high-end LHD.

Good post. I'll add more generally: You can sooner get/develop a good winger than you can a top/toppish d-man.

I just wonder whether Kane's value is, in fact, high enough to garner a high-end LHD.

Honestly, by himself probably not. Even with his streak you might be talking him plus a 1st (with an option to differ depending on lottery or something). But at least it gets your foot in the door. Before I didn't figure we had enough to get one, period.

Honestly, by himself probably not. Even with his streak you might be talking him plus a 1st (with an option to differ depending on lottery or something). But at least it gets your foot in the door. Before I didn't figure we had enough to get one, period.

Mhmm. This is where I'm at. I think anyone but the silliest GM is going to be a little wary of whether or not this is "the real Kane". I would expect his value isn't super high, just simply that it now exists where it didn't before. 

Relevent:

Dreger - there are a number of teams looking for a top-six forward. Evander Kane can be an impact guy #Sabres

Dreger - based on Kane's play right now, his return in a trade might be as good as it gets #Sabres

Dreger - when BUF & VAN were in discussions for Kane trade, GM Jim Benning would've had to give up assets he wouldn't want to trade

I don't need every player on the team setting up their teammates.  Having a guy who can put the puck in the net is important and he's doing it.  I haven't gone looking but things that would be interesting is his goal to assist ratio (not just this year) compared to some other big names as well as the average number of assists on his goals.  

That said, the guy has 19 goals on a team that is 22 in GF.  Does he score more or less on a team that generates more offense?

I wonder if Murray told Kane that in order to be able to move him sooner Kane would need to play better.  :)

What is it about this fan base and dynamic wingers? If it isnt Kovalchuck and we dont have room for a 50 goal scorer than it's Kane and we need a defenseman.

What would this teams record look like with his offence and forecheck gone? He's almost singlehandedly kept the playoff race close.

``want`` is a strong word but you have to consider it depending the return.Especially if  you can get a top 4 dman on their first contact.

Also, have to consider the salary cap implications. What can you re-sign him for once his contract expires after next season?. That Moulson contract could really come into play in the 2018-19 season, as Kane, Eichel and Reinhart come up. Unless you get rid of Moulson (or Ennis) not sure how you afford Kane. Even if you get rid of Moulson it could be tough, unless your D is Risto, Bogo, McCabe, Guhle and 3 more earning about $1mill each.

Wouldn't be worried about Moulson's contract, his buy out structure is one of the cheapest out there, actually makes him attractive for Las Vegas even.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.