Keep or Trade Evander Kane

WildCard

Keep or Trade   

132 members have voted

1. 1. Answer it

• Keep
    • Trade

They aren't trading their best defenseman.

Easy to say, but go take a look at their cap and expansion problems.

They have 4 players with NMC and big cap hits: Bieksa, Kelser, Perry and Getzlaf.  They have three young players they believe are their core of the future in Lindholm, Vatanen and Rakell that they have signed long-term to big cap figures.  That's 7 players they must protect.  

So lets play this out logically.  

1) They also have Silfverberg, another very good youngish forward, signed to a decent contract.  

2) If they go with 8-1 and protect Fowler, they lose Silfverberg.  no question.

3) They have Theodore, Larsson and Montour, any of which can step into the lineup full time if they can move a player or two from their D group.

4) Fowler has only one more year on his and because of their cap issues, they probably won't be able to re-sign him,

5) if they go 7-3-1 to protect Silfverbeg, then they have to expose one of Vatanen, Lindholm or Fowler.  If any of them are exposed, they will be taken.

So the question is if they want to protect Silvferberg then they are going to have to move one of Vatanen, Lindholm or Fowler.  The other option is to trade Silvferberg and hope them to use one of the good D prospects in a trade to replace him.  That doesn't seem like a smart use of resources and it doesn't solve the re-signing Fowler issue.  It therefore seems that the best course of action to protect Silfverberg, protect the all the young D and save cap is to trade Fowler.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I don't understand the seemingly sudden pessimism re: Nylander. His World Junior performance should have everyone giddy for his future. I understand he's not tearing up the AHL, but I think that speaks more to the AHL being the wrong place for him than anything else. Thanks Murray.

Maybe he's a little farther away than I think he is, but I distinctly remember comments on how far away Reinhart was after his 9 game trial, concerns about his lower production upon his return to junior, how he needed AHL seasoning...and he scores 20 as a rookie with zero AHL time, despite not having a regular scoring role until a quarter of the way into the season.

Nylander is my boo. Back off!

Thet ahl was nylanders choice not Murray. Could have gone back to the shl for a year like his brother did.

And i'm with randal on this one. I want Kane extended 5×5.75 i can live with

Edited by Huckleberry

Thet ahl was nylanders choice not Murray. Could have gone back to the shl for a year like his brother did.

And i'm with randal on this one. I want Kane extended 5×5.75 i can live with

Once he signed his ELC he lost any choice on where he would play.  If he chose not to sign he could have gone to the SHL. 

Depends. Do you consider Bogosian a second pair defenseman? Cuz I'm not trading him for some team's Bogosian. But I remember plenty of people thinking Fowler was a second pair...I'd trade him for Fowler and not think twice.

And you think this team is boring in long stretches now.......

This team is insane if it trades him for anything less than four first-round picks and a starting defenseman.  I'm sorry; I know he's a jerk.  Or was a jerk?  Whatever.  He's the second-best two-way player on the team, and they need someone who can play his game if they want to win.

This team is insane if it trades him for anything less than four first-round picks and a starting defenseman. I'm sorry; I know he's a jerk. Or was a jerk? Whatever. He's the second-best two-way player on the team, and they need someone who can play his game if they want to win.

There are about 10 people in the league that can fetch that price. Probably 5 honestly

This team is insane if it trades him for anything less than four first-round picks and a starting defenseman.  I'm sorry; I know he's a jerk.  Or was a jerk?  Whatever.  He's the second-best two-way player on the team, and they need someone who can play his game if they want to win.

Right. We want to win in the playoffs, this is a guy you want on your team. He's a force. Untouchable for me, for any realistic offer, at this point.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.