GDT: Toronto at Buffalo, 7:00 PM ET, 11/03/2016

Doohickie

Very nice.

Good call.

My game notes:

- Nelson started off pretty well but got a bit shakier as the game went on.  Still a big improvement over his first game, though.

- Like others have said, the Sabres played pretty well.  There's just not enough finish.  Someone from the ROR line or the Reino line needed to step up tonight.

- Ennis made a number of bonehead plays (which Marty B. and Rayzor pointed out pretty well), but he created a number of chances in the 2nd half of the game.

- Reino still pretty uneven, although he made a number of nice feeds that Zemgus and Ennis were unable to convert.

- Pretty solid games from McCabe, Risto and Franson on D.

- It looked like DDB was playing the Larsson line against the Matthews-Nylander line -- and it was effective.  The Larsson line also probably created the most offense for the Sabres tonight.

- Marty mentioned that Lehner should've played the puck coming acrost the crease on the 1st Toronto goal, which I agree with.

- Marner was the most dangerous player on the ice.  What a nifty player he is.

- Disappointing power plays, and the refs didn't call enough penalties.

Overall, it was a disappointing loss -- but if they play like that again on Sat., they'll probably win and then they'll have another shot at DeLuca .500.

My take exactly, other than two hiccups thought Sabres dominated and played a heavy game. Ennis played much better, McCabe got his Bogo nasty going. Fourth line needs to grow up fast, Sabres need them and need them to hit consistently and learn to carry the puck.

So I know he's done so before, but is Marty Biron on the MSG broadcast going to be a more regular thing now, or was that just a special occasion?

He works at the Harbor Center doesn't he? Can he be on all the home game broadcasts at least? I know he does commentating for TSN (and maybe a few others?) too..but I loved having him on last night.

I initially missed that he was on the broadcast though, so at first I kept going "who the hell is that talking to RJ and Rayzor?"

Me too.  I thought his analysis was really good (much better than that of most ex-players), and that he brought out better analysis from Rayzor as well.

recalling Guhle is a shortsighted mistake. He is not ready. If it has come to that, Murray needs to make trades.

In his interview Murray said he doesn't expect to trade for a defenseman at the expense of the future. His goal may be playoffs but he isn't going to mortgage a cup run to appease the fan base. He says there is an organizational plan and any trade would have to fit into it long term. That was my take anyway.

In his interview Murray said he doesn't expect to trade for a defenseman at the expense of the future. His goal may be playoffs but he isn't going to mortgage a cup run to appease the fan base. He says there is an organizational plan and any trade would have to fit into it long term. That was my take anyway.

I guess good but hes got abt 2 more years and if fruits dont start showing its time to find a new plan and not another Murray. I'm still concerned about his eval of talent in the later rounds and his giving away number 1 pics including Zadarov. Sabres need a another big nasty mobile D and an O guy besides Eichel and OReilly that can skate the puck up ice and score. Young ones a la Baptiste and Bailey need to grow up fast, hard to have patience with the past shiite storm and not liking him sounding like Marcy.

Yeh but Nylander is an open question as far as toughness, need someone at the level of Draisitl (sp?)

Oy - not sure that guy's going to fall to the Sabres.

You wouldn't want to count on a Corvette to haul lumber. Likewise, no need to look for "toughness" out of Nylander.

Yeh but Nylander is an open question as far as toughness, need someone at the level of Draisitl (sp?)

You're going to be disappointed if your looking 1970's type players. Our best player at the moment is not that player, ROR, and the league doesn't value them anymore. Skill and speed are the current currency.

Sabres where the better team bye far. It's the best I have felt about a loss other than the one that secured McEichel. This one has cemented in my mind we have turned the corner as a franchise* on the rise. Can't put my finger on why it took a loss for me, it may be because now when they lose I know the are good enough they shouldn't.

* not only as a team, but  sum of their parts, coach, GM, owner.....

Sabres where the better team bye far. It's the best I have felt about a loss other than the one that secured McEichel. This one has cemented in my mind we have turned the corner as a franchise* on the rise. Can't put my finger on why it took a loss for me, it may be because now when they lose I know the are good enough they shouldn't.

* not only as a team, but  sum of their parts, coach, GM, owner.....

I felt this way as well. A few lapses, but the dominant team IMHO. Time to put on my sunglasses the future is so bright.....

I thought Chicago and Pittsburgh killed the toughness thing.

No they have a good mix with skill guys that are tough, Kane is only guy i would call not tough. Think Girgs with more skill or a bigger more skilled Larson.... Toews? Edited by North Buffalo

No they have a good mix with skill guys that are tough, Kane is only guy i would call not tough. Think Girgs with more skill or a bigger more skilled Larson.... Toews?

Toughness as in willingness to engage in board battles and attack the puck? Absolutely (and Kane has this toughness, btw). Toughness as in giants on ice throwing body checks? Nope, sorry, that stuff means zero and teams recognize it.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Yes. 

I love SwampD, but Pi is the only thing that saves him from "Franson is better than McCabe" being the worst idea of the new season. McCabe is phenomenal. 

05, so correct. 

I wanted to wait until I finished watching the whole game before I commented on this.

McCabe is great,... from the blue line out. He still has a lot to be desired in his own zone, though. Franson is better at winning battles along the boards and is better at clearing the front of the net. He's also better at when to pinch on those 50/50s to keep the puck in the O zone (although McCabe got better at that as the game went on.) I find these things that happen dozens of times a game way more important than the one highlight reel hit a game in the neutral zone that we get out of McCabe (don't get me wrong, it was a great hit.)

He'll end up better than him, no doubt, but right now he's not. And seeing how much better he is playing from the start of the year, it's probably not going to be very long before he is.

Oh, yeah, ###### Toronto and ###### Babcock.

If Franson had any speed it may be true, but his simple old man skating puts him down a tier

^This. At the game last night, my brother in law was wondering why I was calling him "sun dial" and I explained that's what they use to record Franson's skating times. 

So, I only saw the last ten minutes or so last night, but what I did see was a lot of dump and chase.  Will Bylsma ever learn?

TO was in full Alamo mode nearly the whole 3rd period. Unfortunately w/ Eichel & Kane out the only guys that seem effective at bringing the puck in against 5 men back seem to be O'Reilly, Ristolainen, & McCabe. Not sure they had many other options at that point & it seemed TO just iced it anyway so the Sabres did end up w/ control on the ensuing faceoff typically.

On occassion even a blind squirrel finds a nut. (Dump & chase isn't ALWAYS the wrong plan.) Though it does seem that they have no clue what to do when either team has pulled the goalie and it never seemed like they'd score in the final 2 minutes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.