GDT: Toronto at Buffalo, 7:00 PM ET, 11/03/2016

Doohickie

This has been driving me nuts. It's Austin. AUSTIN. With an I. I know Auston Matthews is stuck with the first name his parents pinned on him, but geez... Auston? Nobody spells it like that.

Okay, now that I've got that off my chest, the Maple Leaves have this really good rookie Matthews guy, but even with this phenom they still suck, dead last in the division and stuff. But don't get cocky.... they're only a point behind the Sabres.

So this game actually means something. It could mean that the Sabres have, in fact, turned the corner and will grind these ###### down, or that the Leafs are figuring it out and are ready to start a little winning streak of their own. I honestly don't know. But the Sabres have dominated the series in Buffalo. While the Sabres have struggled at times to play well in front of their home crowd, the team has a seven-game winning streak against the Leafs in KeyBank Center. The Sabres are 17-1-1 against the Leafs in the last 19 games in Buffalo.

We've all noted how Tyler Ennis has been playing better lately. Well Tyler Ennis has big points against the Leafs. Ennis has 17 points (eight goals, nine assists) in 17 games against Toronto dating back to the 2011-12 season. Johan Larsson, who scored the late game-winning goal for the Sabres in their 2-1 win in Minnesota Tuesday, has six points (three goals, three assists) in six career games against the Leafs. Meanwhile Matt Moulson is looking to avoid going pointless in three straight games against Toronto for the first time in his career. Moulson has 25 points (16 goals, nine assists) in 28 games against the Leafs. So we've got lots of scoring to look forward to.

Injury-wise, I still haven't heard anything about the Bogo injury, other than he's day-to-day. I don't know if the Sabres will call up someone from Rochester or what. Maybe we'll get more clarity in the morning.

Maple-Leafs-vs-Sabres--696x452.jpg

GO SABRES!

I have to credit the Buffalo News with some of the descriptions above. I was really tired when I did this post and wasn't above a little copy-pasty.

The Sabres have worked their off and are due for a letdown sometime soon. It can't happen this game, though. They can't do that to us. Destroy the Leafs. I don't want to see Matthews smile in our barn. Not even once. I don't want him doing what McDavid did to us. I can't handle that. Destroy these guys, and then let it catch up to you on Saturday if you need to. This game is a must-win for the psyche of the fan base. 

I always dread these home games against the Leaves because their fans invade the building and show just how quiet Sabres fans have become the last few years. I was at that Florida game last Saturday and it was so quiet except for one section near where we sat that kept trying to get cheers going, and mostly failed. To their credit they didn't give up and were successful a few times, but it always died pretty quick.

Meanwhile I'm sure I'll be able to hear the Leaves fans for a full 60 minutes on TV tonight.

We'd better play well and shut them up early..

I always dread these home games against the Leaves because their fans invade the building and show just how quiet Sabres fans have become the last few years. I was at that Florida game last Saturday and it was so quiet except for one section near where we sat that kept trying to get cheers going, and mostly failed. To their credit they didn't give up and were successful a few times, but it always died pretty quick.

Meanwhile I'm sure I'll be able to hear the Leaves fans for a full 60 minutes on TV tonight.

We'd better play well and shut them up early..

Actually, these our the games our fans usually get up for IMO.  Completely agree with you the building is generally a morgue but with so many leaf fans in the building I find the Buffalo faithful usually bring it.  I know I'll be bringin it!! 

Let's Go Buffalo!!!!!

Actually, these our the games our fans usually get up for IMO.  Completely agree with you the building is generally a morgue but with so many leaf fans in the building I find the Buffalo faithful usually bring it.  I know I'll be bringin it!! 

Let's Go Buffalo!!!!!

Oh for sure. Sabres fans are way louder than normal during Leaf games. But I can still hear the Leaf fans way too much on TV, and it's kind of sad it takes an invasion of rival fans to get our own fanbase going. To be fair to fans, there hasn't exactly been a lot to cheer the last few years, but that's never stopped other team's fans. The Caps games are way louder, although there is a lot more manufactured noise too.

Oh for sure. Sabres fans are way louder than normal during Leaf games. But I can still hear the Leaf fans way too much on TV, and it's kind of sad it takes an invasion of rival fans to get our own fanbase going. To be fair to fans, there hasn't exactly been a lot to cheer the last few years, but that's never stopped other team's fans. The Caps games are way louder, although there is a lot more manufactured noise too.

This is fair.

This is still just as funny as the first time I watched it.  Fan reaction to Leaf collapse in Game 7 against Bruins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8GCH5qf9IY

When I moved here in 2004 and started going to Sabres/Caps games, it was all Sabres fans. Hockey isn't big down here. Of course back then the Caps only had Ovechkin and pretty much no one else. I think Kolzig was still on the team, but he was more of a mascot by that point I think. Backstrom didn't show up until 2007. There was very little energy from the few Caps fans in attendance, and often a bunch of empty seats in the more expensive areas.

Now when I go, there are a lot more fans, and not just the bandwagoners with their Ovechkin jerseys. They are loud and excited. Of course the Caps regular season play probably has a lot to do with it.

The Florida game had a similar feel to those early Caps games. I've been going to anywhere from 1-3 games for the last several years and this was one of the worst I remember. I had hoped with Eichel and the strides we made last season things would finally be turning around. There were a ton of empty seats that should have been filled with young fans because it was an afternoon game. There should have been a ton of energy after we scored an early goal. None of that really happened.

Of course I spent that whole game nervous we were going to blow it just like we did in Philly, especially the second half the second period where we suddenly stopped fore checking and had like 1 shot.

Hopefully things will be better when I'm back up for the Carolina game December 22nd.

When I moved here in 2004 and started going to Sabres/Caps games, it was all Sabres fans. Hockey isn't big down here. Of course back then the Caps only had Ovechkin and pretty much no one else. I think Kolzig was still on the team, but he was more of a mascot by that point I think. Backstrom didn't show up until 2007. There was very little energy from the few Caps fans in attendance, and often a bunch of empty seats in the more expensive areas.

Now when I go, there are a lot more fans, and not just the bandwagoners with their Ovechkin jerseys. They are loud and excited. Of course the Caps regular season play probably has a lot to do with it.

The Florida game had a similar feel to those early Caps games. I've been going to anywhere from 1-3 games for the last several years and this was one of the worst I remember. I had hoped with Eichel and the strides we made last season things would finally be turning around. There were a ton of empty seats that should have been filled with young fans because it was an afternoon game. There should have been a ton of energy after we scored an early goal. None of that really happened.

Of course I spent that whole game nervous we were going to blow it just like we did in Philly, especially the second half the second period where we suddenly stopped fore checking and had like 1 shot.

Hopefully things will be better when I'm back up for the Carolina game December 22nd.

I think that has a ton to do with it.  The building in Buffalo was absolutely rocking (even regular season games) from 2005-2007.  I think the team being crap since 2007 (except a small stretch in 2010) has a lot to do with it.

I don't think it's a bandwagon thing either.  If the team is crap it's tough spending the money to come out and cheer loud when there's not much to cheer about.  Give it another year or two when Eichel enters his prime and this team really turns the corner.  Then I think we will see the building become more lively again.

Edited by Derrico

After the nobgobbling by the media continuallly allllll summer and into the season about how the Leafs are better than Buffalo Matthews is on the level of McDavid, no mentions of Jack Eichel... well I have had enough of it. I hope we destroy them. We won't because us, but I hope we beat the crap out of them. 

Yeah - I love the angle of pile driving Auston [sic] Matthews tonight and generally throttling the rival Leafs.

Sports are supposed to be fun. And having this sort of underdog story line -- that our Jack is being ignored and disrespected because he's not the young face of the Toronto franchise -- is a good one. A fun one.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.