Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Also 

Would have preferred a different actor (not sure he can pull it off), but I'm excited to erase season 2 form my mind

WHAAAAAT!? What about Mahershala Ali’s career makes you think he can’t pull off damn near anything? Dude is a machine.

Also: A Quiet Place is VERY good. Strangely, Harvest Moon has been stuck in my head for a while now because of it. Emily Blunt and John Krasinski are a great match (maybe because they’re married in real life).

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

WHAAAAAT!? What about Mahershala Ali’s career makes you think he can’t pull off damn near anything? Dude is a machine.

Also: A Quiet Place is VERY good. Strangely, Harvest Moon has been stuck in my head for a while now because of it. Emily Blunt and John Krasinski are a great match (maybe because they’re married in real life).

I don't know he just seems so...docile? He always has the same facial expression, and that expression is confusion, like a deer in the headlights. I really wanted to see Boyd Holbrook do it, or even Idris Elba would have been better; I'm not sure Ali can pull off the really troubled, conflicted character for True Detective 

11 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I've only looked at the still shot in Charlie's post, but I had no idea that was Ali.  I'm trying to figure out why, but all I can come up with is the hair.

Just saw Black Panther, I'm a bit conflicted.    

If I turn my brain of, great action movie.

After the movie ended I started thinking, Usually not a good thing.   But the more I do that movie was racist in so many ways to me ....I started thinking and looking at it , and I think, both white and black people can easily have issues with this movie in ways it was never brought up in the mainstream media.

That being said, also saw the rest of the marvel/dc universe.   justice league wasn't as dark as I thought, Ben Aflleck is the worst batman ever.    The flash sucked ( and I like the emo flash in the tv show).   Gal Gadot is still hot, Jason Mamoa is eye candy for girls.   Just no acting skills in DC, and Cyborg might be a good actor, but he only shows 1% of his body.

19 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Just saw Black Panther, I'm a bit conflicted.    

If I turn my brain of, great action movie.

After the movie ended I started thinking, Usually not a good thing.   But the more I do that movie was racist in so many ways to me ....I started thinking and looking at it , and I think, both white and black people can easily have issues with this movie in ways it was never brought up in the mainstream media.

That being said, also saw the rest of the marvel/dc universe.   justice league wasn't as dark as I thought, Ben Aflleck is the worst batman ever.    The flash sucked ( and I like the emo flash in the tv show).   Gal Gadot is still hot, Jason Mamoa is eye candy for girls.   Just no acting skills in DC, and Cyborg might be a good actor, but he only shows 1% of his body.

Please, explain some of the issues you have with Black Panther.

Just now, Hoss said:

Please, explain some of the issues you have with Black Panther.

Nah, I'm going to refrain from a public debate about this, but If I feel like it I might pm you about it.   But in my mind that entire debate is a hornest nest I don't want to get sucked in.

There are just so many things both sides could take issue with but was nicely camouflaged. 

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Nah, I'm going to refrain from a public debate about this, but If I feel like it I might pm you about it.   But in my mind that entire debate is a hornest nest I don't want to get sucked in.

There are just so many things both sides could take issue with but was nicely camouflaged. 

I don’t think it is a hornets nest, at all. Discussing good movies is a good time.

28 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I don’t think it is a hornets nest, at all. Discussing good movies is a good time.

I will pm you tomorrow what I thougth about it all. 

Edit: ah  it, for one I cringed, Wakanda is like Trump dreamland.    They have a freeking wall, if black people like wakanda they should all vote for Trump.

Lets just say Wakanda was filled with white people, the hole movie would be deamed racist as hell.   Or lets say wth, you have 5 tribes but only the gorrila tribe is black,  that would be racist to, you have black people making monkey sound, what movie could get away with that ?    But because the entire movie is full of black people being Isolationist and protective its not racist ?

In the end they go out and provide for misfortunate black people only in the end of the movie, might be my European view but its like Riyadh pushing out millions of dollars into Europe to promote Muslims in Europe.    Would have been better to me if they had at least shown Wakanda spreading their tech and all to all religions and colours of the world.    But this entire movie was about black empowerment and they failed.   They showed more black bigotry than anything else.

Also they forget about the real history of slavery, and that is that black people enslaved other black tribes to sell them to white Europeans in Africa.   But that is a story better left out in a black empowerment movie.   Maybe I'm just overthinking this , but its been in the back of my mind for a few days now.

Edit part 2: Also 

Even as propaganda for black supremacy it would *fail*. Look at Wakanda: an ultra-hightech country ruled by one of the most primitive society types, a kratocracy , where the next ruler is decided upon violent duel.  And it all only supposedly works out because they have a rare strategic resource nobody else has - without it, they would be nothing. If that underlying concept of "they didn't even achieve it on their own" isn't outright insulting to black people, I don't know what is.

Edited by Huckleberry

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I will pm you tomorrow what I thougth about it all. 

Edit: ah  it, for one I cringed, Wakanda is like Trump dreamland.    They have a freeking wall, if black people like wakanda they should all vote for Trump.

Lets just say Wakanda was filled with white people, the hole movie would be deamed racist as hell.   Or lets say wth, you have 5 tribes but only the gorrila tribe is black,  that would be racist to, you have black people making monkey sound, what movie could get away with that ?    But because the entire movie is full of black people being Isolationist and protective its not racist ?

In the end they go out and provide for misfortunate black people only in the end of the movie, might be my European view but its like Riyadh pushing out millions of dollars into Europe to promote Muslims in Europe.    Would have been better to me if they had at least shown Wakanda spreading their tech and all to all religions and colours of the world.    But this entire movie was about black empowerment and they failed.   They showed more black bigotry than anything else.

Also they forget about the real history of slavery, and that is that black people enslaved other black tribes to sell them to white Europeans in Africa.   But that is a story better left out in a black empowerment movie.   Maybe I'm just overthinking this , but its been in the back of my mind for a few days now.

Edit part 2: Also 

Even as propaganda for black supremacy it would *fail*. Look at Wakanda: an ultra-hightech country ruled by one of the most primitive society types, a kratocracy , where the next ruler is decided upon violent duel.  And it all only supposedly works out because they have a rare strategic resource nobody else has - without it, they would be nothing. If that underlying concept of "they didn't even achieve it on their own" isn't outright insulting to black people, I don't know what is.

Ah, I see you meant saying a bunch of dumb racist things is a hornets nest, not judging a movie.

Where to start.

Wakanda is filled with black people because it’s a territory in Africa that wasn’t touched by colonization. They even make a direct joke about it. The entire purpose is that’s its Africa without white infiltration. The wall comment might be effective if the entire movie wasn’t about dismantling their policies on closing themselves out from the rest of the world.

Monkey sounds? It was tribal cries and chants. Calling them monkey sounds is pure ignorance but plenty racist.

Black people get one damn superhero movie and storyline and you’re upset? Seems fishy.

The “real history of slavery” comment is hilarious. I’ve actually heard that one before. Everyone I’ve seen say it was inarguably racist. Blaming slavery on black people gets me every time.

I legit thought you were going to mention a bunch of plot holes and maybe even some things I’d never seen mentioned. Instead you said a bunch of whiny white stuff. Lmao. Mods will slap my pp for this but your entire comment is out of line.

Edited by Hoss

11 hours ago, Hoss said:

Black people get one damn superhero movie and storyline and you’re upset? Seems fishy.

First of all I'm not upset, the overal tone of the movie just dissappointed me, and there are more black superheroes and superhero movies than Black panther.

And its not just me saying this, I have black friends and colleagues over here saying it themselves.   This movie worked more divisive than anything else.

Blade, Hancock ( bit of a stretch maybe), Spawn.    Those were some good black superhero movies to me.

Edited by Huckleberry

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Neo said:

I just watched the trailer for Bohemian Rhapsody.  I absolutely cannot wait.  November.

If done right, and I have no reason to believe it won’t be, this will be a joyful and emotionally powerful two hours.

Rami Malek is one of the best actors nobody talks about. Excited to see him do Freddie.

3 hours ago, Neo said:

I just watched the trailer for Bohemian Rhapsody.  I absolutely cannot wait.  November.

If done right, and I have no reason to believe it won’t be, this will be a joyful and emotionally powerful two hours.

Hate to burst you bubble but I've heard nothing but bad things about it. I could be wrong of course

4 hours ago, WildCard said:

Hate to burst you bubble but I've heard nothing but bad things about it. I could be wrong of course

Ok, now I have reason to believe it won’t be.  There’s still nachos with seven or eight little cups of jalapeños!

6 hours ago, WildCard said:

The only bad publicity I’ve heard from it is that it doesn’t touch on Freddie’s battle with AIDS but this movie ends two years before he was ever diagnosed. It’s not erasure. The band just wanted a different story told.

I also wouldn’t be shocked if that’s a setup for the sequel.

• 2 weeks later...

Recent viewings:

- Sicario 2 -- pretty good -- if you liked the 1st one, you'll probably like this one.  B-plus to A-minus

- A Simple Favor -- also pretty good, including for date night with your significant other.  Excellent performances by the 2 female leads (Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively).  Also B-plus to A-minus.

23 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Recent viewings:

- Sicario 2 -- pretty good -- if you liked the 1st one, you'll probably like this one.  B-plus to A-minus

- A Simple Favor -- also pretty good, including for date night with your significant other.  Excellent performances by the 2 female leads (Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively).  Also B-plus to A-minus.

I really liked A Simple Favor. My wife really enjoyed it as well, as it was right in her wheelhouse of suspense murder mystery.

Plus we generally like everything Anna Kendrick does.

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Recent viewings:

Sicario 2 was ok, but I found it to be sorely lacking compared to the first film owing to Emily Blunt reasons. She was the heart of the first film. The director's stated reason for her not being in it? The second film had no moral centre. 

I’ll follow in Freeman’s footsteps (he’s like my dad, if you can’t tell based on our history):

Recently watched quite a few movies.

The Shape if Water was beautiful and Michael Shannon is so underrated. He’s going to get bigger as he ages.

mother! was extremely stressful but it’s an interesting experience. Very biblical.