Around the NHL 2016-2017

spndnchz

So the Laine vs Matthews matchup ends in OT with Matthew's missing on a breakaway and Laine going the other way to complete his hat trick by sniping the GW. He also had the game tying goal with under a minute to play. Matthew's finished with one assist.

I didn't believe you so I looked it up.

You couldn't script it better than this.

Amazing.

###### Toronto. I wish I had TSN so I could tune in and see their Matthews erections droop in sadness.

Edited by Randall Flagg

I didn't believe you so I looked it up.

You couldn't script it better than this.

Amazing.

###### Toronto. I wish I had TSN so I could tune in and see their Matthews erections droop in sadness.

Also, consider TOR held a 4-0 lead late into the second period.  hahaahaa.... those guys!

Thomas Vanek.  3 goals, 3 assists, 4 games.

Good for him.   He's 32 now and probably see's the writing on the wall, hope he finishes his career on a positive note.... I expect him to get moved at the deadline to a contender, somebody like ANA would be a perfect fit.    

Also, consider TOR held a 4-0 lead late into the second period.  hahaahaa.... ###### those guys!

Good for him.   He's 32 now and probably see's the writing on the wall, hope he finishes his career on a positive note.... I expect him to get moved at the deadline to a contender, somebody like ANA would be a perfect fit.    

Babcock clearly can't coach team defense.   :w00t:

I think the key to making hockey more exciting is to either

(a) reduce the size of the goalies equipment, or

(b) increase the size of the net., or 

© do both

There is just not enough net to shoot at these days with the size of goalies and their pads..

It still amazes me to watch games where goalies had no mask.  That has to be the definition of insanity.

Edited by wjag

I think the key to making hockey more exciting is to either

(a) reduce the size of the goalies equipment, or

(b) increase the size of the net., or 

© do both

There is just not enough net to shoot at these days with the size of goalies and their pads..

It still amazes me to watch games where goalies had no mask.  That has to be the definition of insanity.

Agree 100%.   I can't believe they this up.   They were supposed to have the reduced gear ready for the World Cup, but that fell through... then they were supposed to have the reduced pants ready for the start of the NHL season, but that was derailed as well.... who knows if we'll ever see it.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-goalie-equipment-changes-tangled-debate/

"The tighter, more form-fitting pants will be worn…once everyone gets them. The hope is that’s in time for Wednesday. But it’s possible that doesn’t occur since Reebok/CCM ships from China and Bauer from Thailand. But goalies recognize this is going to happen early in the season."

It's early, but yeah, there are loads of goals being scored. I wonder if it keeps up. I don't remember recent seasons starting like this. It seems like 2 teams score 7 and 3-5 teams score 4/5 goals each night.

A product of PIT winning the Cup?

http://www.tsn.ca/video/insider-trading-lindholm-s-holdout-and-fleury-s-future~976840

Insider trading for today. No mention of Buffalo (they talk about Fowler but say Anaheim is still working through their options).

Interesting note from McKenzie: there is about a $30,000 cap charge for restricted free agents per DAY that they are not signed during the season. Because of this Anaheim is likely looking at at least $300,000 in extra cap charge for Lindholm whenever they sign him.

Ahh, I'll have to remember that young players aren't perfect.  I wonder if that aimmediately the Sabres too.

Nope just other teams.  The Sabres are expected to be perfect in every way every time.  All draft picks are expected to immediately contribute or they are busts.  They should be fully developed NHL players or should be packaged for some other teams aging or under performing players.  And of course we don't need to use accumulated first round picks on players and rather trade them away because those picks are overrated. The really good NHL ready prospects are found in the 2nd and third rounds.  The bar is high for young players but hey the fans want results yesterday and they should know that. :flirt:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.