Around the NHL 2016-2017

spndnchz

They didn't do any talent evaluation. At all.

I still think this is about the expansion draft.

They did lists of UFAs and RFas. That's what is weird. McPhee could have used the sight to get contract info. I don't see the insight this group would bring to an expansion draft. You know what the numbers are, slot the players by contract and grade and have at it. I also recall they hired someone from the Caps with an analytics background.

Cap Friendly hasn't been reporting their own contracts or breaking their own news. They pull a lot of data from General Fanager and their servers are crap. I don't think they'll hold up with the new influx of visitors they'll get.

General Fanager wasn't too great when it started either, but it grew. Now that CapFriendly is the only game in town, I'd expect improvements.

Analytics Inget. General fanager compiled salary and contract data. Talent evaluation was not the best in my book.

Speaking of analytics - this was on my Twitter feed last night:

http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/20161017/waldner-would-analytics-work-in-hockey-kings-dean-lombardi-doesnt-think-so

Late in the conversation, he was asked about analytics in general in sports, and baseball in particular coming to a point where general managers are giving managers game plans.

“What do you think my chances are if I go downstairs and give Darryl Sutter a computer sheet and say, ‘Why don’t you use this?’ ”

Lombardi does not dismiss analytics out of hand. But he does have reservations.

“It’s one thing to look at it, but, quite frankly, you’ve got to be careful with some of these things,” he said. “The one thing that is missing in all of this is no one has shown the correlation with winning.

“I get it, and I’ll use it as a touchstone. I think it’s a great checkoff. But this stuff you heard about you’ll do this and this will happen, they can’t prove it. And there is a reason they can’t prove it. It probably doesn’t have the impact on winning and losing that they think.”

Speaking of analytics - this was on my Twitter feed last night:

http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/20161017/waldner-would-analytics-work-in-hockey-kings-dean-lombardi-doesnt-think-so

Late in the conversation, he was asked about analytics in general in sports, and baseball in particular coming to a point where general managers are giving managers game plans.

“What do you think my chances are if I go downstairs and give Darryl Sutter a computer sheet and say, ‘Why don’t you use this?’ ”

Lombardi does not dismiss analytics out of hand. But he does have reservations.

“It’s one thing to look at it, but, quite frankly, you’ve got to be careful with some of these things,” he said. “ The one thing that is missing in all of this is no one has shown the correlation with winning.

“I get it, and I’ll use it as a touchstone. I think it’s a great checkoff. But this stuff you heard about you’ll do this and this will happen, they can’t prove it. And there is a reason they can’t prove it. It probably doesn’t have the impact on winning and losing that they think.”

Uuuhhhh. Congratulations to Mr. Lombardi on being completely and totally wrong. What brazen ignorance.

If analytics were the answer then everyone would be using them the same.

They may increase a chance of winning but they do not equal winning.  I would suspect that's what he's getting at and it aligns with how most people think.  The stats are helpful but they cannot tell the whole story.

I'm not so sure you have precisely in mind what he has in mind.

Maybe not, but I absolutely have in mind what he said. What do you think he was talking about?

They may increase a chance of winning but they do not equal winning.  I would suspect that's what he's getting at and it aligns with how most people think.  The stats are helpful but they cannot tell the whole story.

See: Pysyk, Mark... (ducks)

General Fanager wasn't too great when it started either, but it grew. Now that CapFriendly is the only game in town, I'd expect improvements.

The founder of General Fanager mentioned he started to get unsolicited inside information from teams, agents and media shortly after going live. I think CapFriendly will get the same treatment eventually as well

The founder of General Fanager mentioned he started to get unsolicited inside information from teams, agents and media shortly after going live. I think CapFriendly will get the same treatment eventually as well

Yeah, even GF wasn't as good as CapGeek when it started out.

Bergman was quoted just after Capgeek went down saying the league won't create their own site because fans aren't interested in salary information.

The NHL has absolutely no clue what the fans are interested in. If they were I wouldn't be watching slow old man grabby interference hockey every night. 

Bettman autocorrected to Bergman, for the record.

Not a whole lot in 30 thoughts this week.

Ducks and Lindholm apparently closing the gap in talks. Ducks wanted $5.1M and Lindholm wanted $5.8M. Term still up for debate.

Ducks likely won't just toss Fowler for picks/prospects.

Some think the Ducks will need to deal TWO players from their roster with a mention of Silfverberg.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thought-ducks-lindholm-oilers-leafs-100-flames-gaudreau/

If we could land both Fowler AND Silfverberg that'd be a fantastic coup.

Edited by Hoss

They may increase a chance of winning but they do not equal winning. I would suspect that's what he's getting at and it aligns with how most people think. The stats are helpful but they cannot tell the whole story.

Sort of like how all people use their eyes the same? Oh, right, they don't.

To me Lombardi sounds like a guy who is trying to cover himseld for a series of terrible decisions by saying "hey the other way sucks too!" See: The Dustin Brown contract, not using a compliance buyout on Richards, the Gaborik contract, and the USA World Cup team.

Sort of like how all people use their eyes the same? Oh, right, they don't.

To me Lombardi sounds like a guy who is trying to cover himseld for a series of terrible decisions by saying "hey the other way sucks too!" See: The Dustin Brown contract, not using a compliance buyout on Richards, the Gaborik contract, and the USA World Cup team.

Your eye analogy could use more explanation.

The problem with any statistical analysis is that you have to be positive in the decision making process you use to create the stat and verify why it's important.  Ergo, if analytics were the answer then, in theory, any fool could use them and be equally effective as anyone else right?  If you can break it all down into a statistical equation then the output would never vary as sure as 2+2 = 4.  That's my point... analytics are not the answer, they are part of the answer, but they are not THE answer.

So, analytics do not equal winning.  They increase the chances of winning but the models aren't there yet to predict winning.  If they were, everyone would use them the same. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.