Around the NHL 2016-2017

spndnchz

We all told you that.

Well, like I said, someone should tell him that.

Having said that, I think he is out for a few games so maybe Armia gets off of the 4th line....he was the best player for the Jets last night.

I do. I love the Olympics. I want to see Jack, and Matthews, and Larkin lead a stacked team USA in the upset bid against Canada.

Dream on.

Well, like I said, someone should tell him that.

Having said that, I think he is out for a few games so maybe Armia gets off of the 4th line....he was the best player for the Jets last night.

Dream on.

Rough starts this year for both our teams. Jets will pick it up a bit I'm sure, but they could be 0-6 without the two 3-0 and 4-0 comebacks they've had, which are pretty unlikely and difficult to repeat (Unless you are playing us - gave up a 3 goal lead just yesterday). Doesn't look like playoffs is in the cards for either right now, unfortunately.

Can you imagine the hype around here if last season Eichel put up Mathews numbers?

Eichel is Marleau - solid 1st line points but not a keystone of a succesful team

Matthews is Thornton - a star

Obviously there are problems with this, e.g. Thornton being famed for a choker and the Sharks being mostly a failure in the post-season. But the point stands

Eichel is Marleau - solid 1st line points but not a keystone of a succesful team

Obviously there are problems with this, e.g. Thornton being famed for a choker and the Sharks being mostly a failure in the post-season. But the point stands

This thesis confuses me on at least three levels.

Can you imagine the hype around here if last season Eichel put up Mathews numbers?

Tyler Seguin, at the point in his career that Jack is in, had put up 22 points as a rookie. 

Evgeni Malkin was just starting his rookie season.

Joe Thornton put up what, 5 points in his first 60 or so games with the Bruins?

There is no set curve for a superstar. 

If there was, we'd be looking at recent history and saying "Well, Jack out-produced Stamkos' and Tavares' rookie years, and they played theirs in a higher-scoring era, so Jack will be better than those guys." Then there's Getzlaf, a franchise center that took years to get a big role on his team. 

We can't know any of this stuff yet. But from what I've seen, I have faith that Jack can be more than Marleau. And he'll be good enough to get us where we need to be.

Tyler Seguin, at the point in his career that Jack is in, had put up 22 points as a rookie. 

Evgeni Malkin was just starting his rookie season.

Joe Thornton put up what, 5 points in his first 60 or so games with the Bruins?

There is no set curve for a superstar. 

If there was, we'd be looking at recent history and saying "Well, Jack out-produced Stamkos' and Tavares' rookie years, and they played theirs in a higher-scoring era, so Jack will be better than those guys." Then there's Getzlaf, a franchise center that took years to get a big role on his team. 

We can't know any of this stuff yet. But from what I've seen, I have faith that Jack can be more than Marleau. And he'll be good enough to get us where we need to be.

Right. If we are expecting Jack to be a savior, it isn't going to happen. But I don't think we are. 

If we are expecting him to be a very good player and a key piece of a successful team, he is certainly capable of doing that. A good supporting cast with multiple valuable pieces needs to be assembled around him. 

Even Crosby had Malkin. One guy can never do it alone. 

Rough starts this year for both our teams. Jets will pick it up a bit I'm sure, but they could be 0-6 without the two 3-0 and 4-0 comebacks they've had, which are pretty unlikely and difficult to repeat (Unless you are playing us - gave up a 3 goal lead just yesterday). Doesn't look like playoffs is in the cards for either right now, unfortunately.

It would surprise me more if the Jets made the playoffs then if they didn't. Another for rookies in the lineup and below average or average goaltending Plus little being hurt and trouba sitting out makes for a lot of mistakes.

It would surprise me more if the Jets made the playoffs then if they didn't. Another for rookies in the lineup and below average or average goaltending Plus little being hurt and trouba sitting out makes for a lot of mistakes.

Ya, it's not looking like a playoff year for them. That's ok though, they can use it as a developing season for their young players. I've stated before I think they may have the best young winger stable in the NHL. What are your thoughts on their centre depth? Obviously Scheifele is a stud, but I'm not seeing much after that. Originally I had reasonably high expectations of Petan, but it's been 3 years since being drafted and he's still been unable to crack the lineup on a consistent basis. He's talented, but it's just so hard for a player of his size to become a mainstay. The Gaudreau's of the world seem so rare.

It's worth noting that Leon Draisaitl started better than anyone last year. And he fell off tremendously as the season went on.

Matthews may ultimately be better than Eichel, it's very much in the cards. But I don't know how anyone who watched the team last year could think Eichel is going to merely be a good 1st liner. He scored at a top-10 rate the second half of the season. Kid is going to be a star.

And Matthews, right?

I'm a but surprised about the success Vesey is having. Didn't see that coming.

Matthews, on the other hand, is not surprising. I predicted he would be a top 10 scorer, that is, until he signs his big contract, gets out of shape, and ultimately ends up playing somewhere in Europe/Russia. Well, maybe not that bad, but I expext a big drop off in his play once he earns his big contract.

I'm a but surprised about the success Vesey is having. Didn't see that coming.

Matthews, on the other hand, is not surprising. I predicted he would be a top 10 scorer, that is, until he signs his big contract, gets out of shape, and ultimately ends up playing somewhere in Europe/Russia. Well, maybe not that bad, but I expext a big drop off in his play once he earns his big contract.

That didn't stop Phil Kessel did it? :nana:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.