Your First Seven Jobs

Eleven

The generation of staff members that I worked with at Dittmer stuck around for quite a while as part of a core of senior staff members. One just completed his fifteenth year. Part of that is due to the fact that our council pays more than any of the surrounding camps, or at least they did when I was there.

Nice. Schoellkopf had a solid core the years I was there too (mid 90s), sadly I couldn't join them at the camp, but we started an Explorer post for a few years. Plus several of them were largely responsible for helping me to complete my Eagle, and the camp let me come out to talk to a bunch of Scout Masters to help in my Leadership project.

Damn, I forgot about my summers as a farm boy, picking garlic. That was some brutal work. Bent over in the muck for 10 hours in 95 degree CNY summer heat! In pants! Got paid 300 bucks a week though. When you're 15/16 that's some serious bank!

The "paid" positions:

1. Paperboy

2. Odd jobs on a farm

3. Physicist (laser spectroscopy, plasma physics; undergrad)

4. Teaching Assistant in Physics (grad)

5. Plasma Physicist (grad)

6. Sporting Goods Retail

7. Rocket Scientist (applied physics, plasma physics, rf and mircrowave engineering, electromagnetics, electrical engineering)

6 to 7 is a decent promotion, congratulations.

If I could make money taking a hammer to my penis, I'd do it. That would be more enjoyable than my current job.

You probably could, but I think that may be a one time deal

Nope. Not at all. Hence #6 & 7 on my list.

Any idea on where you want to go next?

Edited by WildCard

Any idea on where you want to go next?

Yes. Currently trying to transition into administration. Was honestly looking into non-profits in DC for issues I care about, but the pay is ass (given DC living costs) and most of the positions are glorified fundraisers, which is not for me. Still keeping an eye out, but mostly focused on collegiate administration and/or advising.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

1. Picasso's Pizza cook

2. Ulbrich's tree farm laborer

3. Lancaster Building and Grounds laborer

4. RIT telefund

5. Kayex Corp. - various jobs for years. Warehousing, shipping/receiving, manufacturing process engineer

6. Salzmann Group - Warehouse/shipping

7. LiDestri - Food manufacturing/QC

Which Picasso's?

Cool. I only ever went to Schoellkopf, first as a camper, then CIT, then 1 year as paid staff. I helped out a lot at the Trading Post in my off hours as a CIT, and was hoping to work there or COPE full time as a staff member, but ended up teaching Basketry and Metalworking at the Craft lodge instead. I still would have gone back for a third year if I could have afforded to do so, but I made a lot more money in far fewer hours working at Timmy Ho's. Alas. Pretty awesome you worked one for so long.

This camp is two minutes away from me, and one of my best friends lives at the house there. Small world.

1. Dishwasher (restaurant now out of business)

2. Clerk at Blockbuster Video

3. YMCA lifeguard at camp arrowhead ("salaried" position that worked out to $2.95/hr, less than half the minimum wage at the time)

4. Town sewer department summer help

<<earned degree in aerospace engineering>>

5. General Electric Aviation Development Program

6. Gould Pump Assembly Engineer (hey, it moved me home and at least it's still spinny fluid dynamic stuff)

7. Operations Manager at a Gasketing company. (Turns out I just really like making stuff, and it doesn't matter what...and that I worked way to hard in college.)

6 to 7 is a decent promotion, congratulations.

Thanks.  Yeah, that was a rough ride. Graduating into a stagnant research job market, having a hockey buddy get me a job to make ends meet, later getting laid off from that job, unemployed for a while, then getting hired by one of the most well-respected aerospace companies with which I have ignited a damn good career.  The whole experience, as it ended well, was both objectively insane and humbling.

Pfft.  Anyone can microwave plasma.

True story.  Just put a fluorescent bulb in a microwave oven.

Don't do that.

Stocking a local department store

Quality Control at a large cereal producer

Network Administrator (small company, included pretty much any SMB IT work you can think of)

(graduated from college)

One job with a large company, three locations, covering a large hunk of IT (firewalls, networks, auth, LInux, Windows, mobile devices, some software, etc)

paid stuff:

1- Martial arts instructor

2- English tutor to Spanish speaking elementary school kids

3- Farm market art person

4- Illustrator at RIT's magazine 

5- Designer at Workinman, the video game stuff

6- Adjunct Prof at RIT

7- Freelance throughout all of that- various forms of clients. 

Edited by Josie914

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.