OT: 2016 Summer Olympics

Neo

Disappointing that the IOC actively tried to squelch/cover-up the armed robbery of athletes last night.

Not surprising. They have tried to suppress all the nightmare stories from Rio. I heard they had to empty the diving pool and refill it because "chemistry isn't an exact science" and they couldn't get the water to clear. This entire olympics on the back end has been crappy. 

Not surprising. They have tried to suppress all the nightmare stories from Rio. I heard they had to empty the diving pool and refill it because "chemistry isn't an exact science" and they couldn't get the water to clear. This entire olympics on the back end has been crappy. 

I believe at one point they said that the water was "confused".

Can anyone explain to me the point of the water on a steeplechase course?  It's far too shallow to actually slow anyone down.  Seems that all it could do is cool off the runners a little bit and potentially cause blisters.

I guess all I can do is explain why the steeplechase exists. Originally was and still is a horse race, I believe originated in Ireland. Communities would race cross country around a couple villages. The water traps simulate the rivers/streams they'd jump, as the hurdles simulate the stonewalls between properties. Races would begin and end at the villages' churches, hence "steeplechase". 

How that lasted and became an olympic sport rather than a funny footnote in history, I don't know. 

Bolt is ridiculous once he hits top speed. How in the world did he make up that ground on Gatlin? 

Most of the analysis said that he is running the same speed at the end of the race as he is at 30m.  The other runners all begin to slow down.  I'm sure being 6'5 helps in that regard.  He's still an insanely gifted athlete.

I really have a problem with kids competing in the Olympics. It should be for adults, 18 and up.

Good idea.  The marketers have wanted more people to feel this way so they could start the Jr. Olympics. :)

I guess all I can do is explain why the steeplechase exists. Originally was and still is a horse race, I believe originated in Ireland. Communities would race cross country around a couple villages. The water traps simulate the rivers/streams they'd jump, as the hurdles simulate the stonewalls between properties. Races would begin and end at the villages' churches, hence "steeplechase". 

How that lasted and became an olympic sport rather than a funny footnote in history, I don't know. 

That is interesting.  So it's decorative, not functional.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.