OT: 2016 Summer Olympics

Neo

That is interesting. So it's decorative, not functional.

If O remember correctly, it is more than decorative. It is deeper closer to the bar, so it rewards runners that can extend further beyond the bar. Just barely get ovet and you are in deepet water. Make a good clean clrear of the bar and the watet is ankle deep.

So the joke in Canada now is...

"How are the Dallas Stars going to fit "Penny Oleksiak's Brother" on the back of Jamie Oleksiak's jersey?"

The reply from America is:  (1) who is Penny Oleswhatever and (2) who the hell is Jamie Oleswhatever?

The reply from America is:  (1) who is Penny Oleswhatever and (2) who the hell is Jamie Oleswhatever?

And the response would be Penny Oleksiak won 4 medals in swimming.  Canada has 1/10th the population of the US.  That's like her winning 40 medals with my twisted logic.  She is a total rock star in Canada, arguably for the rest of our lives, and she's only 16, so she's not done by a long shot.

You gotta admit. even if she was American, 4 medals is pretty damned impressive.

Man I love men's gymnastics. Just so much control and power. I mean, I love the flippy psycho twisty energy that defines the women's routines now, but I've always been more amazed at slow, measured strength. 

Finals are live streaming now. 

Nope nope nope....Kerri couldn't pass for sh!t tonight. She let April Ross down. My opinion, of course.

I think they let each other down. Neither were stellar tonight. Ross kept hitting it right to the Brazilian girls and Walsh was just miss hitting a ton of shots. Albeit the Brazilian women were on point and would've been hard to beat no matter what. They weren't too bad to look at either.

I think they let each other down. Neither were stellar tonight. Ross kept hitting it right to the Brazilian girls and Walsh was just miss hitting a ton of shots. Albeit the Brazilian women were on point and would've been hard to beat no matter what. They weren't too bad to look at either.

First, women's volleyball players are never bad to look at!

Second, you're probably right

Third, I'm way to angry over this!

I heard a quote by Bill Murray, "Every Olympic event should include one average person for reference." Well, it might have been just a Tweet. But he does have a point. Some of these athletes make it look so easy. For instance, watching the 5K runs, they look like they're casually jogging and you find yourself saying, how come they can't turn it up to take the lead? For reference, these runners are turning 5K times averaging over 13 MPH. Many people can't sprint 10 MPH much less do it over 3+ miles. Young and fit people can hit 13 MPH, but they won't be able to do it for long, certainly not if you're short. 

I heard a quote by Bill Murray, "Every Olympic event should include one average person for reference." Well, it might have been just a Tweet. But he does have a point. Some of these athletes make it look so easy. For instance, watching the 5K runs, they look like they're casually jogging and you find yourself saying, how come they can't turn it up to take the lead? For reference, these runners are turning 5K times averaging over 13 MPH. Many people can't sprint 10 MPH much less do it over 3+ miles. Young and fit people can hit 13 MPH, but they won't be able to do it for long, certainly not if you're short. 

Entirely untrue. In distance running there is a major height variation. It's other factors that come into play. It is more important to be lean w/out an excessive amount of muscle to weigh or slow you down. Shorter runners will have to have a higher turnover rate throughout the race. Taller runners will have to have a longer stride, but remember it takes energy to keep that stride long. Just like it takes energy for a shorter runner to maintain a higher turnover rate. Because one is tall does not mean they have an advantage over a shorter runner. In the closing portion of a race, runners will begin their "kick" depending not on their height, but simple muscle twitch and endurance. Everyone is different. Keenness Bekele holds the WR in the 5000 w/ a 12:37. He's only 5'6. Previous WR holder, Haile Gebrselassie, is 5'5. Bob Kennedy, one of only 7 men not from Africa to go sub 13:00 in the 5k, stands at 6'0. As a coach in cross country and track, I've had short kids run the same times as tall kids in distance events. As I said earlier, in distance running there is a major height variation. 

Edited by GoPre

Entirely untrue. In distance running there is a major height variation. It's other factors that come into play. It is more important to be lean w/out an excessive amount of muscle to weigh or slow you down. Shorter runners will have to have a higher turnover rate throughout the race. Taller runners will have to have a longer stride, but remember it takes energy to keep that stride long. Just like it takes energy for a shorter runner to maintain a higher turnover rate. Because one is tall does not mean they have an advantage over a shorter runner. In the closing portion of a race, runners will begin their "kick" depending not on their height, but simple muscle twitch and endurance. Everyone is different. Keenness Bekele holds the WR in the 5000 w/ a 12:37. He's only 5'6. Previous WR holder, Haile Gebrselassie, is 5'5. Bob Kennedy, one of only 7 men not from Africa to go sub 13:00 in the 5k, stands at 6'0. As a coach in cross country and track, I've had short kids run the same times as tall kids in distance events. As I said earlier, in distance running there is a major height variation.

Good points, I understand how it all works. I was just making reference to "normal" people vs. trained athletes.......................... not short athletes vs. tall athletes.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Would did they keep calling it an upset? Brazil was ranked higher than the US.

Yeah no kidding. I was like wtf are you talking about, it's #2 vs #3 and #2 won. He finally corrected himself at the end by saying it technically wasn't an upset, but we all know the truth.

First, women's volleyball players are never bad to look at!

Second, you're probably right

Third, I'm way to angry over this!

I was kinda pissed too. Found myself yelling at the TV like I was watching a Bills game.

Good points, I understand how it all works. I was just making reference to "normal" people vs. trained athletes.......................... not short athletes vs. tall athletes.

It applies to normal people as well. A person at 5'8 has to have a faster turnover to maintain an 8 minute pace than a person at 6'3. And of course the person at 6'3 will need to keep the stride to the length needed to hit each mile in 8 minutes. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.