OT: 2016 Summer Olympics

Neo

Nope, thanks though. I was just curious.

Honest question. Why is it more important to you to keep a label that hurts someone else when there are good, effective labels you can use that people dont find hurtful and may actually find supporting?

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/8/20/12571456/rio-2016-olympics-team-usa-paul-chelimo-disqualified-from-5000m-after-winning-silver

Complete bs. I ran track in the SEC. Elite runners racing in a tight pack is going to involve contact. Elbowing and what not. Paul Chelimo got screwed. Hope an appeal is made. And to make matters worse is he found out from a reporter. 

And NBC made another error in this year's coverage of the Olympics. They claimed Chelimo was dq'd for making contact w/ another runner(s). That was not the reason for disqualification. It was later reported Chelimo was dq'd for lane infringement. Thankfully the US appealed. You cannot step on the line. He did that, but after review it was apparent it did not give him any type of advantage. If that's the case a runner will not be dq'd. This returned Chelimo back to 2nd place and a spot on the podium to receive the silver medal. NBC's coverage is terrible. 

Honest question. Why is it more important to you to keep a label that hurts someone else when there are good, effective labels you can use that people dont find hurtful and may actually find supporting?

Offensive labels have malicious intent. If I call you a or a , that's an offensive label. (of course somebody will find that offensive while completely ignoring the context). Finding the use of a scientfic term is ridiculous, it's a sign of political correctness getting out of control. Many people find hermaphrodite offensive? Really? Who would that be? I would bet the majority of Americans don't even know what a hermaphrodite is, much less intersex. This creation of labels for every possible situation is getting out of hand. I've lost track and I have no intention of keeping up. I guess you can call me transintersexistphobic. I suppose if it was a black American, a I'd have to call him an African-American intersex? I suppose it's offensive of me to assume it's a he.

Sorry, but it's just not offensive when somebody calls you something you don't like when most don't even know what you're supposed to be called. I'm not an offensive person, I don't go out of my way to offend. But I'm not going out of my way to keep track of every new label created by the hour.

So ignorance is your reasoning for being offensive? Yea, that's the entire problem in the first place.

And if you're not willing to keep up with "terms created by the hour" how about terms created by the decade? Intersex has been around since 2006...

I'm just glad you based your entire pro-offensive terms argument around laziness and ignorance so we can all understand you very clearly.

Edited by Hoss

So ignorance is your reasoning for being offensive? Yea, that's the entire problem in the first place.

And if you're not willing to keep up with "terms created by the hour" how about terms created by the decade? Intersex has been around since 2006...

I'm just glad you based your entire pro-offensive terms argument around laziness and ignorance so we can all understand you very clearly.

I've only read this page once. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The most deliberately offensive use of language with regard to others lies in your post as directed toward JJ.

The intolerance of the various tolerance movements fascinates me (with no nod toward Hoss, in general).

Edited by N'eo

The most deliberately offensive use of language with regard to others lies in your post as directed toward JJ.

The intolerance of the various tolerance movements fascinates me (with no nod toward Hoss, in general).

Notice how I was able to (allegedly) offend JJ as an individual and not an entire race or gender or religion? That's the wonderful thing. You can be offensive towards an individual if you really feel like it but there are ways to do it without lobbying an attack on classes of people.

If JJ is offended by what I said it'll be a whole load of irony, too. His entire post was predicated on how he feels entitled to being offensive to groups of people entirely because people don't know what the terms mean (ignorance) and he's unwilling to learn "new terms" (laziness).

Weak sauce, to you or to any group of people, or class, that'd draw that distinction and consider it meaningful regarding deliberately offensive language, which was the topic.

Edited by N'eo

Weak sauce, to you or to any group of people, or class, that'd draw that distinction and consider it meaningful regarding deliberately offensive language, which was the topic.

I wasn't being deliberately offensive. I was interpreting what JJ said which, to me, is hard to interpret in any other way. I mean JJ went out of his way to say he doesn't care and will be the way he is regardless of that.

Offensive labels have malicious intent. If I call you a ###### or a ######, that's an offensive label. (of course somebody will find that offensive while completely ignoring the context). Finding the use of a scientfic term is ridiculous, it's a sign of political correctness getting out of control. Many people find hermaphrodite offensive? Really? Who would that be? I would bet the majority of Americans don't even know what a hermaphrodite is, much less intersex. This creation of labels for every possible situation is getting out of hand. I've lost track and I have no intention of keeping up. I guess you can call me transintersexistphobic. I suppose if it was a black American, a I'd have to call him an African-American intersex? I suppose it's offensive of me to assume it's a he.

Sorry, but it's just not offensive when somebody calls you something you don't like when most don't even know what you're supposed to be called. I'm not an offensive person, I don't go out of my way to offend. But I'm not going out of my way to keep track of every new label created by the hour.

Obviously, you are free to have your motivation be as simple as "I dont wanna", which is what I got out of all that.

It comes down to empathy I guess. Hopefully one day when you could use a little empathy someone who "doesnt wanna" doesnt make things a little worse for you.

Obviously, you are free to have your motivation be as simple as "I dont wanna", which is what I got out of all that.

It comes down to empathy I guess. Hopefully one day when you could use a little empathy someone who "doesnt wanna" doesnt make things a little worse for you.

Funny part about it is, your post is just as offensive as the word hermaphrodite. But, I guess it's different when it's your own words.

If that's what you got out of my post then you either didn't take your time to read it, or I did 't explain myself well enough. Either way, political correctness is out of control whether you want to admit it or not.

I wasn't being deliberately offensive. I was interpreting what JJ said which, to me, is hard to interpret in any other way. I mean JJ went out of his way to say he doesn't care and will be the way he is regardless of that.

You are, arguably, the most politically correct poster on this forum. That's fine. But I find it odd that you have no problems insulting others who you don't agree with. Seems a tad hypocritical, don't you think?

Another example of your blatant double standards.

Funny part about it is, your post is just as offensive as the word hermaphrodite. But, I guess it's different when it's your own words.

If that's what you got out of my post then you either didn't take your time to read it, or I did 't explain myself well enough. Either way, political correctness is out of control whether you want to admit it or not.

I guess what it comes down to is, labels are nothing more than a grouping of vowels and consonents. It doesnt matter to me what label I (or by extension, you) use for someone else. But if it matters to them, and if it requires 0 extra energy on my part to use what matters to them, why wouldnt I do it? What do I gain by using the label that someone finds offensive? And just as importantly, what am I losing in changing the label I use? If I lose nothing, and possibly gain someone else not thinking Im a dick (and I do have plenty of those), isnt that motivation enough?

The way my simple mind sees it, these people have identities that are far enough from the norm that when other people find out, it changes their perspectives on them. I cant imagine what that does to yourself esteem, your sense of belonging. Im not interested in even innocently dinging that further. If someone feels better because Ive used a different label, hey, it was about the absolute leastI can do. No problem.

Its not like we have to seek these changes out. They find us in regular conversations. Like this one. All we need is the empathy to remember it.

Notice how I was able to (allegedly) offend JJ as an individual and not an entire race or gender or religion? That's the wonderful thing. You can be offensive towards an individual if you really feel like it but there are ways to do it without lobbying an attack on classes of people.

If JJ is offended by what I said it'll be a whole load of irony, too. His entire post was predicated on how he feels entitled to being offensive to groups of people entirely because people don't know what the terms mean (ignorance) and he's unwilling to learn "new terms" (laziness).

I don't feel entitled to offend anybody. Have you seen me go out of my way to offend people on this board? You might not agree with my viewpoints, which some might take as offensive, but do I regularly offend others? People love to throw that term 'ignorance' around without using it correctly. I'm very well aware of the situation and trend of everybody wanting their own special label. That doesn't make me ignorant. Nor does it make me lazy because I don't think it's important to keep up on them all. I prioritize, and memorizing the labels of every "special" person out there who I will probably never come across (and if I did, the need to address them by their label will most likely never come up) is not a priority.

But I have a question to ask you, and I'd love for you to answer. You frequently tell me how much more tolerant I need to be, how much more accepting I need to be (which is ironic in itself because I live in one of the most diverse regions in the world and Miami is one of my favorite places)........... yet you just openly admitted that it's OK to offend me just because you're not offending a race or general demographic by doing so. If you're so PC, and love to show us all how accepting and open-minded you are, why is it you need to go out of your way to try and offend me at all? Hell, I don't even do that and I'm supposedly the offensive one. Why is it OK for you to draw a line, but I can't?

I look forward to your answers.

I guess what it comes down to is, labels are nothing more than a grouping of vowels and consonents. It doesnt matter to me what label I (or by extension, you) use for someone else. But if it matters to them, and if it requires 0 extra energy on my part to use what matters to them, why wouldnt I do it? What do I gain by using the label that someone finds offensive? And just as importantly, what am I losing in changing the label I use? If I lose nothing, and possibly gain someone else not thinking Im a dick (and I do have plenty of those), isnt that motivation enough?

The way my simple mind sees it, these people have identities that are far enough from the norm that when other people find out, it changes their perspectives on them. I cant imagine what that does to yourself esteem, your sense of belonging. Im not interested in even innocently dinging that further. If someone feels better because Ive used a different label, hey, it was about the absolute leastI can do. No problem.

Its not like we have to seek these changes out. They find us in regular conversations. Like this one. All we need is the empathy to remember it.

This is a damn fine post. Good work.

You have a great knack to get a point across much more simply than I did. I've had a long weekend and didn't get to sleep until 7:30 this morning. Forgive me for not being able to keep pace on your level today. ;)

But I have a question to ask you, and I'd love for you to answer. You frequently tell me how much more tolerant I need to be, how much more accepting I need to be (which is ironic in itself because I live in one of the most diverse regions in the world and Miami is one of my favorite places)........... yet you just openly admitted that it's OK to offend me just because you're not offending a race or general demographic by doing so. If you're so PC, and love to show us all how accepting and open-minded you are, why is it you need to go out of your way to try and offend me at all? Hell, I don't even do that and I'm supposedly the offensive one. Why is it OK for you to draw a line, but I can't?

I look forward to your answers.

I don't actually believe I was offending or going out of my way to offend you. It was a strong disagreement. I was being facetious towards N'eo in attempt to entertain his train of thought.

The whole "why are people who preach tolerance act so intolerant towards the intolerant" is "weak sauce" (to borrow from N'eo). What I'm attempting to change in you is the things you do/say that have no benefit to anybody (except maybe yourself) but intentionally ignore the feelings of others, thus hurting others while having no benefit to anybody. There's no tolerance for that sort of stuff nor should there be.

Quite frankly, though, I don't have the ability to explain it in such a strong and clear way that We've did above so refer to his post for any future questions.

Edited by Hoss

I don't actually believe I was offending or going out of my way to offend you. It was a strong disagreement. I was being facetious towards N'eo in attempt to entertain his train of thought.

The whole "why are people who preach tolerance act so intolerant towards the intolerant" is "weak sauce" (to borrow from N'eo). What I'm attempting to change in you is the things you do/say that have no benefit to anybody (except maybe yourself) but intentionally ignore the feelings of others, thus hurting others while having no benefit to anybody. There's no tolerance for that sort of stuff nor should there be.

Quite frankly, though, I don't have the ability to explain it in such a strong and clear way that We've did above so refer to his post for any future questions.

I don't actually believe I was, nor do I offend anybody either. But, you did. See how that works?

We've didn't answer your question. He summed up your feelings. The questions I asked were directed at you, personally. Why do you think it's OK to offend people directly just as long as you're not offending a group all while preaching tolerance and empathy? Why do you feel you can draw a line as to where you can offend, but I can't?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.