OT: 2016 Summer Olympics

Neo

She is going to be the star of this team for 16 more years, too.

I can't recall the last time I was so blown away by a young U.S. athlete. I'm sure it happened recently. I just can't recall it. 

Anyway. She's an astonishing talent.

Edit: Ha. Eichel?

That's it. I want Jack Eichel to marry Mallory Pugh.

I take it back. That ball to Morgan - she's more like Messi.

I love women's soccer. It is 100% more entertaining than men's. I couldn't tell you the name of anyone on the US men's team other than Tim Howard. But these women are warriors. 

I find them equally entertaining.  Our men's team isn't able to keep up with the best in the world the way our women's team does, though.

Two absolutely horrible offside calls just canceled each other out.

I am loving the little touches of style in the women's weightlifting. 

Lidia Valentin of Spain with her little hello kitty kneesocks (same outfit different competition) :

105096560.jpg

Ubaldina Valoyes Cuesta of Colombia, with her headband and zebra knee braces. 

Screen_Shot_2016_08_12_at_3_26_37_PM.png

Weightlifting is the scariest sport to watch. I just expect every single person to explode their joints or bones. 

There was a guy earlier who dislocated his elbow. His scream was... inhuman. 

I've been shocked how much I've been enjoying the weightlifting competitions though. 

Speaking of fringe and new sports- I'm really excited that competitive sport climbing will most likely be at Tokyo in 2020! aka bouldering. Watching those competitions is really cool- I love having it on while I work.

Yeah, that'll be cool!

It looks like each athlete (20 men and 20 women total) would participate in three events:  sport climbing, bouldering, and speed climbing.  Overall scoring will be based on results from all three events.  I also see that speed climbing has a negative connotation among the climbing community.

Edit:

(for the uninitiated)

Sport climbing = Climber is harnessed, and clips rope into bolts as they ascend the wall

Bouldering = short, very difficult moves; no harness

Speed climbing = Top-roping (harnessed, already anchored from top of wall to start) up easier moves very quickly

Edited by Cereal

Yeah, that'll be cool!

It looks like each athlete (20 men and 20 women total) would participate in three events:  sport climbing, bouldering, and speed climbing.  Overall scoring will be based on results from all three events.  I also see that speed climbing has a negative connotation among the climbing community.

Edit:

(for the uninitiated)

Sport climbing = Climber is harnessed, and clips rope into bolts as they ascend the wall

Bouldering = short, very difficult moves; no harness

Speed climbing = Top-roping (harnessed, already anchored from top of wall to start) up easier moves very quickly

Very nice! 

Yeah, the infighting about speed climbing is interesting. I guess the eastern Europeans were really pushing it to be a discipline, and everyone else is like, " yeah, nah". Everyone has their thing, I guess! I saw someone on reddit describe it as "chugging a fine wine". I dunno, seeing all those dynos in succession could be really cool, and get some attention/help the sport overall. 

Other shortlisted sports = karate, surfing, skateboarding, softball/baseball. 

Fingers crossed! 

Edited by Josie914

Hopefully the last time I see Solo in a USA uniform.

I was going to ask you "why" you say that.

Then I saw her post-game quotes about how the Swedes are cowards for playing a defensive game.

I don't imagine that's why you said what you said, but it sort of obviated my desire to ask.

What a idiot she is.

Just missed this before posting.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.