Sabres sign RW Kyle Okposo for 7 years, $42 mill

Hoss

No Moulson?  :cry: lol

Okposo has said Moulson is one of the reasons he decided to come to Buffalo

Could also see Bailey playing third line and Gionta, as the season moves along, moved to the 4th line. 

The rent at Moulson's is cheap.

It's sounding more and more like he set out into free agency with the intention of coming to Buffalo. Then Bergevin says yesterday that he couldn't even get players to talk to him about coming to Montreal. The world has been turned on its freakin head.

Okposo is the godfather to one of Moulson's children (not Jack).

Nailed it.

wish someone could explain why the Isles let him walk.  I did a little googling and found an older column predictingOkposo would likely get 8million a year and Isles didn't want to commit that. 

But he signed for 6million/yr, as we know, and his replacement signed for 5.5...same 7 year term.

Could they somehow see Ladd as an upgrade?

It's just weird.  They can't use their cap as an excuse...they still have money left and they let the younger, better player go.

wish someone could explain why the Isles let him walk.  I did a little googling and found an older column predictingOkposo would likely get 8million a year and Isles didn't want to commit that. 

But he signed for 6million/yr, as we know, and his replacement signed for 5.5...same 7 year term.

Could they somehow see Ladd as an upgrade?

It's just weird.  They can't use their cap as an excuse...they still have money left and they let the younger, better player go.

Your choice of the word "let" is intriguing... Like the Islanders had control of the situation.

It's sounding more and more like he set out into free agency with the intention of coming to Buffalo. Then Bergevin says yesterday that he couldn't even get players to talk to him about coming to Montreal. The world has been turned on its freakin head.

Nailed it.

Montreal is a tire fire waiting to light. They need 2-3 top forwards to begin to fix that place

Your choice of the word "let" is intriguing... Like the Islanders had control of the situation.

Many of the articles I read (some going back to 2015) indicated they didn't show that much interest in retaining him...or trying to negotiate a salary they thought they could afford.  But it's just weird because the money was there all along.  It's hard for me to believe the guy wearing an A on his jersey just told them 6 months ago not to bother trying to negotiate with him.

Regarding the puck hog who doesn't see his linemates allegation-- he did have 42 assists last season.

KO said in his conference call yesterday (which is on the WGR audio vault) that the islanders never made him an offer. That is kinda strange. He also said that he and Moulson are godfathers to each other's kids.

The issue of Okposo's retinal detachment is pretty interesting. He's very nearsighted and that increases the risk of a retinal detachment because a nearsighted eye is bigger (longer maybe) than normal and thus the retina is thinner than normal. Detachments of the vitreous gel inside the eye are very common as anyone gets older, and commonly happen in younger people who are very nearsighted. (The vitreous is attached to the retina and when it detaches it can tear the retina.)

This would suggest it would have happened to accountant Kyle Okposo or construction worker Okposo. He can't tie the symptoms that led him to emergency surgery to any hit or incident on the ice. His eye apparently wasn't hit by a stick, puck or elbow. (But in the NY Post article linked below he does say it "probably was a hit.")

http://nypost.com/2015/03/10/kyle-okposo-returns-to-islanders-just-in-time-for-rangers-duel/

How to quantify the risk?

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/04/23/new-york-islanders-kyle-okposo-recovering-his-game-after-scary-eye-injury-detached-retina

It's very safe to say the Sabres did their due dligence (hopefully better than I just did) and are satisfied he is at low risk of another career-threatening retinal detachment.

This jives with much of what I was told during my recurrent retinal detachment ordeal. I suffered a ruptured globe, a much worse scenario, and the initial prognosis was still quite good.

Medicine isn't perfect however, my shattered knee had the docs talking about having a permanent limp and needing a cane but in the end my doc said my recovery was poster boy material for recovering from that type of injury. My eye went the other way, such is life.

Edited by Claude_Verret

Quite a few of the Islanders Players did not like the move to the Barclays Center. Most live on Long Island and hated the commute back and forth for the AM Skate as well as to the game. So much so that they changed the morning game day skate to their practice facility on the Island to accommodate the players. This could have had something to do with the lack of negotiations as maybe Okposo made it clear he wasn't re-signing with them.

I have no idea how to read those charts.

I don't like the looks of that temporal lobe.

Reports from other boards have the same opinion of KO as many had of Stafford. Maddeningly inconsistent and disappears for long stretches. But wait it gets better, puck hog who doesn't see his line mates and turns the puck over at the most in opportune times. Not bashing Okposo just a general observation of fan assessments.

Look at you, daring to violate board orthodoxy! Be prepared to be cyber-bullied, but you'll have to wait until 5. Only a savage does his online Foster Brooks act before that civilized hour.

How do you reckon he arranged the dual-godfather thingie?

I'm more thinking that he was aware of it.

Then Murray still gave Moulson an absolutely horrendous contract.

His contract indeed has the potential to be horrendous. It's also plausible that he bounces back to 20-20-40 next season. He's only 32, and now he has the extra motivation of having his best friend on the team.

There's a bit of a chicken and egg thing with Moulson last season. He had 11 pts in 24 games through November, still his worst season, but very near 40pt pace. Then he got demoted to 4th line minutes and only scored 10 points over his last 57 games while being a healthy scratch once. Playing better minutes in April, he had 3 pts in 4 games to finish the season. I don't know that a bounce back is ensured, but I'd say it's very possibly he will get 40 pts this year.

There's a bit of a chicken and egg thing with Moulson last season. He had 11 pts in 24 games through November, still his worst season, but very near 40pt pace. Then he got demoted to 4th line minutes and only scored 10 points over his last 57 games while being a healthy scratch once. Playing better minutes in April, he had 3 pts in 4 games to finish the season. I don't know that a bounce back is ensured, but I'd say it's very possibly he will get 40 pts this year.

Ah summer, the time of irrational hope. Matt Moulson is a completely useless hockey player at this juncture, and I predict he ends up in Rochester for more games than he's in Buffalo.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.