Shea Weber traded straight up for PK Subban

LGR4GM

Easy there big guy, everyone on here knows their fair deal about hockey. 

Besides any of you who wanted Stamkos of course. Or any of those people that didn't want O'Reilly. 

Oh and welcome to the board! Post more, and lose TC  :beer:

That's something I do not get. Yeah, a TC avatar should encourage a person to be creative and make a quick change, but his era is far and gone. 5 years is long enough. Even though he's still on the team, switch it to Moulson. Quite sure that'd get a person motivated to change. 

I find myself more sad that PK Subban actually got moved, but to a team that isn't the Sabres, than I am about Stamkos

Montreal will never trade a player of Subban's caliber to the Sabres. And who would the Sabres have to cough up? My guess would be O'Reilly. And no, I wouldn't support that trade. 

As I think about it more.. I think Montreal is really looking for the stable back end presence that will allow their forwards to play more confidently.

Subban, for all of his talent, is still prone to making some incredibly stupid decisions with the puck.  If a forward can't rely upon his defender and he has any concerns about the well being of his team he's bound to play more defensively than normal.

The other thing I wonder now is if Nashville is going to consider trading away a different D player.  They do have an embarrassment of riches on the blue line.

I feel bad for Nashville though, in 8 years if Weber is contemplating retirement the Preds will have to pay out the nose to get him back so they can keep him from hurting their cap. 24mil cap hit penalty would literally sink a team, even if the cap is at 100mil in 10 years.

He'll retire way sooner than that. Most likely before the 2022-2023 season when his salary drops from $6 million to $3 million or if not then then certainly before the 2023-2024 season when he starts making $1 million per year.

As I think about it more.. I think Montreal is really looking for the stable back end presence that will allow their forwards to play more confidently.

Subban, for all of his talent, is still prone to making some incredibly stupid decisions with the puck.  If a forward can't rely upon his defender and he has any concerns about the well being of his team he's bound to play more defensively than normal.

The other thing I wonder now is if Nashville is going to consider trading away a different D player.  They do have an embarrassment of riches on the blue line.

The Preds did that last year with Seth Jones. Their top-4 is set with Josi, Subban, Matti Ekholm, and Ellis. That won't change. Jackman has one year left at #5 and Anthony Bitetto is not bad as a #6 d-man.

IMHO (as a season ticket holder), the Preds biggest issue is at #2 center. Mike Ribero is 36 and was a disinterested drifter through most of the playoffs last year.

IIRC we almost signed Poille as our GM. Seems like that wouldn't have been a bad choice either

Instead of Darcy? He's been in Nashville forever.

Or do you mean his assistant, Paul Fenton?

I seem to recall he was a candidate before we hired Tim

Instead of Darcy? He's been in Nashville forever.

Or do you mean his assistant, Paul Fenton?

I seem to recall he was a candidate before we hired Tim

Hmmm I'm not sure anymore. It sounds more likely that it was Fenton. Where did Banning come from?

I would almost be willing to say PK gets a similar, maybe even bigger Ovation from the crowd when he returns to Montreal. He was a fan favorite, just not a management favorite...........

Every Hab fan I know loves PK and is crushed by the deal.

It's funny, they felt the same way about Roy. In fact it's eerily similar.

Every Hab fan I know loves PK and is crushed by the deal.

It's funny, they felt the same way about Roy. In fact it's eerily similar.

Ultimately, is there anyone who thinks this trade happens if Montreal is coming off another 100 point season? Either PK got scapegoated for Price's injury, or the injury gave Bergevin cover for what he always wanted to do. Neither is a good look.

Ultimately, is there anyone who thinks this trade happens if Montreal is coming off another 100 point season? Either PK got scapegoated for Price's injury, or the injury gave Bergevin cover for what he always wanted to do. Neither is a good look.

There's an article on sportsnet.ca or tsn.ca where they have quotes from Bergevin discussing his turnovers in the Kings game and one in the game before that.  They mention an incident where Subban was trying to put blame on the equipment guy for screwing up his skates even though they were fine.

I'm sure there are other reasons but he's always been quite a selfish player and takes many unnecessary risks.  Sometimes its good, sometimes its bad, and I would imagine the Habs wanted more stability back there.

There's an article on sportsnet.ca or tsn.ca where they have quotes from Bergevin discussing his turnovers in the Kings game and one in the game before that.  They mention an incident where Subban was trying to put blame on the equipment guy for screwing up his skates even though they were fine.

I'm sure there are other reasons but he's always been quite a selfish player and takes many unnecessary risks.  Sometimes its good, sometimes its bad, and I would imagine the Habs wanted more stability back there.

Interesting, I guess. I dunno. Still seems like a terrible decision.

• 3 weeks later...

I have always loved PK Subban and I would love to see him raise the cup in Nashville. I hope he gets one. Seems like a genuinely great guy who is having fun and knows being paid millions to play a game means you should take the time to do good for those who are less fortunate.

• 3 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.