Shea Weber traded straight up for PK Subban

LGR4GM

I guess Subban really impressed Nashville while he was down there for the All-star game.

Perhaps Montreal acquired Weber to beat up Zetterberg again?

Hell.. I'm confused.

But in the realm of possibilities... does Montreal have too many players they feel they would need to protect in the expansion draft so they moved Subban?

I've got nothing else.

See from a legitimate source on Twitter that NHL execs favour the Habs on this one.

Subban didn't make Team Canada. Weber was among the first four D named.

Tells you more about hockey culture than anything else, in my opinion.

I guess Subban really impressed Nashville while he was down there for the All-star game.

Perhaps Montreal acquired Weber to beat up Zetterberg again?

Hell.. I'm confused.

But in the realm of possibilities... does Montreal have too many players they feel they would need to protect in the expansion draft so they moved Subban?

I've got nothing else.

Even then it doesn't help, since I can't see them leaving Weber exposed. Besides, if that was the reason...would trading Subban for expansion draft purposes be any better at all? :lol:

See from a legitimate source on Twitter that NHL execs favour the Habs on this one.

Yes. And the power of reputation. I've read a lot about Weber slipping some defensively the past couple seasons. That's unlikely to get better as he ages.

Weber was a mess in the Sharks series this year. But I attribute that to being incredibly worn down (Doughty was awful too for the same reason) 

I'd actually bet that Weber doesn't ever make the HHOF. Definitely don't think he'd be a first-ballot guy.

Nashville's defense corps is going to be something to behold. Ellis, Ekholm, Josi, Subban. All are absolute studs with regards to moving the puck.

Perfect Day for the Sabres, the best player in the division is shipped off to the Western Confernce. We don't have to hope we sign Stamkos just so he doesn't goto Toronto. Thus ensuring we have resources to spend on our own core and filling some holes in the lineup.

General Fanager@generalfanager 7m7 minutes ago

If Weber retires before contract ends, #Preds will be charged on the cap $24,571,432 divided by years remaining in recapture penalties.

Weber recapture.png

This is what I was thinking of. That is insane. It doesn't really factor into evaluating the trade, but is a shocker all the same.

And he's pretty much guaranteed to retire early, right? Is there any way he finishes out that contract in the three $1M years when he's 38-39-40?

"I'm sorry sir, there is just no way, medically, that Shea can continue to play hockey. That hang nail is just to deep for a 40 year old to recover from, we'll have to put him on LTIR."

Edited by Whiskey Bottle of Emotion

Weber is certainly past his absolute peak, and likely will decline a bit each year. And PK is in his prime and will be for a few more years.

But I think Weber's 30s will be a lot like Pronger's pre-concussion 30s -- he will be a major force and play a ton of minutes in all situations (which was the case with Pronger until he sustained a debilitating concussion at age 37).

"I'm sorry sir, there is just no way, medically, that Shea can continue to play hockey. That hang nail is just to deep for a 40 year old to recover from, we'll have to put him on LTIR."

Is Nashville going to trade something to Montreal to get them to do this? The Habs have no incentive if not.

And he's pretty much guaranteed to retire early, right? Is there any way he finishes out that contract in the three $1M years when he's 38-39-40?

Likely but not certain -- it's also quite possible he'll still love playing hockey for a living and love playing and living in Montreal (which is a great city and a great hockey city with a great arena).

And maybe the next CBA will allow a more forgiving buyout.

Is Nashville going to trade something to Montreal to get them to do this? The Habs have no incentive if not.

Even if the cap is up to $120M in 10 years (5% annual growth rate), that recapture penalty would destroy the Preds for years, there is a 0 percent chance that the league allows it to happen. 

Edited by Whiskey Bottle of Emotion

That was different. Roy was having a bad game and the coach refused to pull him. Habs lost 9-3. Roy swore then and there on TV to the owner (GM maybe) that he would never play another game for MTL. Habs had no choice but to trade him, cause Roy meant it.

That meltdown didn't come out of nowhere. The coach won a staredown with the team's star player. Similar scenario here.

Even if the cap is up to $120M in 10 years (5% annual growth rate), that recapture penalty would destroy the Preds for years, there is a 0 percent chance that the league allows it to happen. 

You're almost certainly right. Nashville probably ships Montreal a 2nd for the contract, where said hang nail places him on LTIR. Too bad.

What does Nashville need that the Sabs have, is the question.

Goaltending? Rinne was pretty bad last year, and I don't know how could their pipe line is. Other than that, last I checked their bottom 6 was pretty bad

Love to add Ryan Ellis.

I wonder if he is realistically available

Goaltending? Rinne was pretty bad last year, and I don't know how could their pipe line is. Other than that, last I checked their bottom 6 was pretty bad

I wonder if he is realistically available

Nashville is a really interesting case for the expansion draft. If they go with the 8 skaters to protect their top-4 Dmen, then one of Wilson or Smith is likely to be exposed. If they go the 5-3-1, then Ellis or Ekholm gets exposed. If I were Poile, I think after next year I'd try to move Ellis and go the 5-3-1 route, but I can't see any compelling reason to move him now.

Nashville is a really interesting case for the expansion draft. If they go with the 8 skaters to protect their top-4 Dmen, then one of Wilson or Smith is likely to be exposed. If they go the 5-3-1, then Ellis or Ekholm gets exposed. If I were Poile, I think after next year I'd try to move Ellis and go the 5-3-1 route, but I can't see any compelling reason to move him now.

Especially as they likely won't ever have a better shot to win it all than next year

Weber isn't in decline. If any of you actually watched the Preds regularly you would know that. Guy scored 20 goals last year (4th among all NHL defensemen) and was top-10 in minutes played in the NHL. This deal makes perfect sense to me from the Habs perspective, at least in the short term. David Poile approached the Habs about this deal on Friday and they jumped at it. I honestly think the Preds will be worse next year without their Captain and undisputed locker room leader.

Weber isn't in decline. If any of you actually watched the Preds regularly you would know that. Guy scored 20 goals last year (4th among all NHL defensemen) and was top-10 in minutes played in the NHL. This deal makes perfect sense to me from the Habs perspective, at least in the short term. David Poile approached the Habs about this deal on Friday and they jumped at it. I honestly think the Preds will be worse next year without their Captain and undisputed locker room leader.

How regularly is regular enough for you? I saw a lot of their playoff games and around 10 regular season games. The charts that people showed backed up what i saw, a guy with a howitzer who is a bit worse in his own zone and a bit slower than he used to be. Still an awesome defenseman, but a notch below the tier PK sits on, IMO.

I saw this on Twitter too, not sure if it was the same source. Greg Brady was talking about it and quoting his sources. Found it to be quite odd, but not surprising, that the sentiment was out there.

dudacek, on 29 Jun 2016 - 9:46 PM, said:

I don't know, man, I think the possibility of that recapture penalty is pretty real.  That right there tips the crazy scale in Nashville's direction, IMHO.  I don't think Subban brings what the Preds needed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.