Shea Weber traded straight up for PK Subban

LGR4GM

Hmm.

I remember watching a pretty detailed analysis last season (yes, heavy on the #fancystats) about how Weber just wasn't near what he'd used to be.

I just don't credit the "concerns" that MTL could claim to have had with Subban. The guy's a stud and a rock. He's your guy. So you trade him away for a player who's older and not as good? In part so that you can achieve a modest savings?

I don't get it.

Well, the "not as good" isn't really an objective truth, and we don't know the Habs' motivation.

Yup they do. As will Montreal

The Habs will take a hit if Weber retires early?  Or are you saying that the Habs will take a hit if PK retires early?

Didn't MTL send Roy out of town when he had a feud with his coach?

Those who don't learn from their history are doomed to repeat it.

That was different.  Roy was having a bad game and the coach refused to pull him.  Habs lost 9-3.  Roy swore then and there on TV to the owner (GM maybe) that he would never play another game for MTL.  Habs had no choice but to trade him, cause Roy meant it.

Well, the "not as good" isn't really an objective truth, and we don't know the Habs' motivation.

The Habs will take a hit if Weber retires early?  Or are you saying that the Habs will take a hit if PK retires early?

Habs will be hit if Weber retires early as he is set to earn £12 million this season but his cap hit is £7.8 million. So they are also 'benefitting' from the low end of the deal

Weber is not even a better player now, but it's close enough if you are going for a different look.

But the age difference and Weber's decline weigh in Nashvilles favour and that contract will be an anchor in four or five years.

This is a heckuva deal.

Weber is one of the best players of the last generation and one of the best defensemen of all time.  He's a first-ballot HOFer.  He's great on both ends, very tough and a great leader.  He's been in the NHL for 10 non-lockout seasons and played 78 or more games in 8 of them -- and scored 15 goals or more in all 8 (including 20 goals last year).  PK has scored 15 goals exactly once in his 6 non-lockout seasons.

Weber is about to turn 31, while PK just turned 27.  PK is unquestionably a better skater than Weber at this point, and probably better carrying the puck.  But don't sleep on Weber's playmaking skills -- in the last 7 non-lockout seasons, Weber had 30 assists or more in 6 of them (and had 27 assists the other time).

Weber is also a true horse, playing over 25 min per game each of the last 6 years.

For one playoff run, I'd rather have Weber.

For the next 2 seasons, I'd rather have Weber.

PK's NMC is going live in 2 days, and he's going to make $9MM per year for the next 6 years.  If the Habs organization was concerned about PK's behavior/commitment/leadership/health/other -- it was now or never.

I'm not ready to call this a bad move for the Habs.

One other point:  I think Weber's contract was signed before the current CBA.  It includes $1MM annual salaries for each of the last 3 seasons -- when he will be turning 38, 39 and 40.  If he retires at 39 -- I think Nashville gets hit with a cap penalty of some kind.  Can anyone confirm?

yeah, I'm going to have disagree with about everything here, nfreeman  :lol:

PK is by far the better player. Remember when Montreal wanted Fowler so bad? It wasn't to replace PK, it was to give him some sort of adequate partner. Meanwhile Weber is running around over there with Suter and Josi. I'm not saying Weber made a career off of them, but it definitely helps. Wait and see what PK puts up this year

This must be shared:

attachicon.gifPK Weber crying jordan.png

:lol:  :lol:

yeah, I'm going to have disagree with about everything here, nfreeman  :lol:

PK is by far the better player. Remember when Montreal wanted Fowler so bad? It wasn't to replace PK, it was to give him some sort of adequate partner. Meanwhile Weber is running around over there with Suter and Josi. I'm not saying Weber made a career off of them, but it definitely helps. Wait and see what PK puts up this year

:lol:  :lol:

WADR, you have no idea what you are talking about with respect to Shea Weber. He is as good of an all-around defenseman as this league has ever seen. Shea is known for his huge shot, but he is perhaps the most accurate point shooter I've ever seen. He can consistently one-time shots into very tight windows from the point. It is a thing of beauty to watch live (been a Preds season ticket holder for most of the past decade).

Personally, I don't love this trade for the Preds. Stats aside, Shea is the undisputed leader of the team, scores the big goals when they're needed, and is the team's only physical presence on the defensive end (other than Jackman). PK and Josi will be fun to watch... but won't be the best pair in their own zone.

WADR, you have no idea what you are talking about with respect to Shea Weber. He is as good of an all-around defenseman as this league has ever seen. Shea is known for his huge shot, but he is perhaps the most accurate point shooter I've ever seen. He can consistently one-time shots into very tight windows from the point. It is a thing of beauty to watch live (been a Preds season ticket holder for most of the past decade).

Personally, I don't love this trade for the Preds. Stats aside, Shea is the undisputed leader of the team, scores the big goals when they're needed, and is the team's only physical presence on the defensive end (other than Jackman). PK and Josi will be fun to watch... but won't be the best pair in their own zone.

He is all of those things, but I still think PK is better. Most stats and comparison tool I've used shows me that. And I do respect that you see Weber a lot, and you know him better than I do, but I will still disagree

Though this tells a different story.

http://www.corsica.hockey/skaters/

Edited by WildCard

If Weber retires before contract ends, #Preds will be charged on the cap $24,571,432 divided by years remaining in recapture penalties.

attachicon.gifWeber recapture.png

Wait until Therein and Bergevin are fired, and Weber looks around and sees he's 34 on a team. He'll be gone soon enough, no way he finishes out his contract there

This Deal is so lopsided its insane. Anyone who says it was even remotely a fair trade knows nothing about hockey. Weber has been declining for a few years, while Subban has been improving. Webers deal carries a 7.8 million dollar hit until he is 41 years old. Subban's is $9 million until 33. Subban was the best skater on the Montreal roster. Weber is a lumbering Defenseman who will be worse in 5 years and in 10, wow. Pair him up with 38 year old Makarov and now it gets even worse.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/p-k-subban-trade-may-worst-canadiens-history/

This Deal is so lopsided its insane. Anyone who says it was even remotely a fair trade knows nothing about hockey. Weber has been declining for a few years, while Subban has been improving. Webers deal carries a 7.8 million dollar hit until he is 41 years old. Subban's is $9 million until 33. Subban was the best skater on the Montreal roster. Weber is a lumbering Defenseman who will be worse in 5 years and in 10, wow. Pair him up with 38 year old Makarov and now it gets even worse.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/p-k-subban-trade-may-worst-canadiens-history/

Easy there big guy, everyone on here knows their fair deal about hockey. 

Besides any of you who wanted Stamkos of course. Or any of those people that didn't want O'Reilly. 

Oh and welcome to the board! Post more, and lose TC  :beer:

Edited by WildCard

I feel bad for Nashville though, in 8 years if Weber is contemplating retirement the Preds will have to pay out the nose to get him back so they can keep him from hurting their cap. 24mil cap hit penalty would literally sink a team, even if the cap is at 100mil in 10 years.

It's crazy how badly the Habs management seemed to hate PK. It seemed like they couldn't wait to get rid of him.

I think they like Weber because he appears to be a no-nonsense leader guy who won't be as fun loving as PK and be serious all the time. If they want more leadership, maybe they will be willing to swap Price for Gionta?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.