Shea Weber traded straight up for PK Subban

LGR4GM

Huge trades like these are absolutely new thread worthy. Burying them in this monstrosity is a shame.

I trust we'll get the relevant content merged herein.  :ph34r:

Montreal traded Subban's rights from age 27 to 31, and aquired Weber's rights from age 31 until 40. Thats messed up.

Gotta like it, though, as MTL gets a whole lot worse.

I trust we'll get the relevant content merged herein.  :ph34r:

Gotta like it, though, as MTL gets a whole lot worse.

I really liked the idea of Stamkos to MTL. Not that I thought it would happen, but man, Stamkos/Subban/Price as your starters in the three positions is an amazing core to build around. Now? All but dead.

For a second, when all I saw was Subban traded, and before the Stamkos news broke I was sure that was SS to the Habs. Then I saw Weber as the return... And had to run to the kitchen and get a glass of water so I could do a proper spit-take.

Insanity doesn't even begin to cover it...

Man.

This Weber-Subban trade may actually be worse than the Hall-Larsson deal.

Both deals make sense to me. Hall is toxic, an uncoachable team killer, not surprised on the lack of return for him.

Weber is a beast, he's a better leader than PK IMO. Good deal for MTL. Curious why NSH had Weber on the block tho. I don't think he gets the respect he deserves in the East.

This is downright strange, at least the Hall-Larsson makes sense on a basic level with its projected values being blown out of the water. This one make little to no sense to me. 

Weber is 30 with 5yrs at $7,857,142 

Subban is 27 with 5yrs at 9mil

So Montreal gets older and saves 1.15mil....... wow......

Both deals make sense to me. Hall is toxic, an uncoachable team killer, not surprised on the lack of return for him.

Weber is a beast, he's a better leader than PK IMO. Good deal for MTL. Curious why NSH had Weber on the block tho. I don't think he gets the respect he deserves in the East.

I can't claim to know anything about Hall's coach-ability. But I tend to be mistrustful of that sort of talk. And even if EDM had been resigned to getting a single d-man for Hall, I feel like they could've done way (WAY) better than that.

As for Weber, I think he used to be a beast. But he's aging and wasn't even the best d-man on his team last year. MTL gave away a younger, more term-controlled, better player. They chose the coach over the player. Deeply stupid.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Yup, just like Seguin was in Boston. Gotta get rid of those type of guys.

This is downright strange, at least the Hall-Larsson makes sense on a basic level with its projected values being blown out of the water. This one make little to no sense to me. 

The only sense I can make of it is that Bergeving is backing up his coach, really stupid move.

Error:

Weber is signed for 10 more years

Subban has 6 years left.

Makes it 12x worse

Weber will be 40 at his contract's end

This is a heckuva deal.

Weber is one of the best players of the last generation and one of the best defensemen of all time.  He's a first-ballot HOFer.  He's great on both ends, very tough and a great leader.  He's been in the NHL for 10 non-lockout seasons and played 78 or more games in 8 of them -- and scored 15 goals or more in all 8 (including 20 goals last year).  PK has scored 15 goals exactly once in his 6 non-lockout seasons.

Weber is about to turn 31, while PK just turned 27.  PK is unquestionably a better skater than Weber at this point, and probably better carrying the puck.  But don't sleep on Weber's playmaking skills -- in the last 7 non-lockout seasons, Weber had 30 assists or more in 6 of them (and had 27 assists the other time).

Weber is also a true horse, playing over 25 min per game each of the last 6 years.

For one playoff run, I'd rather have Weber.

For the next 2 seasons, I'd rather have Weber.

PK's NMC is going live in 2 days, and he's going to make $9MM per year for the next 6 years.  If the Habs organization was concerned about PK's behavior/commitment/leadership/health/other -- it was now or never.

I'm not ready to call this a bad move for the Habs.

One other point:  I think Weber's contract was signed before the current CBA.  It includes $1MM annual salaries for each of the last 3 seasons -- when he will be turning 38, 39 and 40.  If he retires at 39 -- I think Nashville gets hit with a cap penalty of some kind.  Can anyone confirm?

one of the best defensemen of all time.

Hmm.

I remember watching a pretty detailed analysis last season (yes, heavy on the #fancystats) about how Weber just wasn't near what he'd used to be.

I just don't credit the "concerns" that MTL could claim to have had with Subban. The guy's a stud and a rock. He's your guy. So you trade him away for a player who's older and not as good? In part so that you can achieve a modest savings?

I don't get it.

This is a heckuva deal.

Weber is one of the best players of the last generation and one of the best defensemen of all time.  He's a first-ballot HOFer.  He's great on both ends, very tough and a great leader.  He's been in the NHL for 10 non-lockout seasons and played 78 or more games in 8 of them -- and scored 15 goals or more in all 8 (including 20 goals last year).  PK has scored 15 goals exactly once in his 6 non-lockout seasons.

Weber is about to turn 31, while PK just turned 27.  PK is unquestionably a better skater than Weber at this point, and probably better carrying the puck.  But don't sleep on Weber's playmaking skills -- in the last 7 non-lockout seasons, Weber had 30 assists or more in 6 of them (and had 27 assists the other time).

Weber is also a true horse, playing over 25 min per game each of the last 6 years.

For one playoff run, I'd rather have Weber.

For the next 2 seasons, I'd rather have Weber.

PK's NMC is going live in 2 days, and he's going to make $9MM per year for the next 6 years.  If the Habs organization was concerned about PK's behavior/commitment/leadership/health/other -- it was now or never.

I'm not ready to call this a bad move for the Habs.

One other point:  I think Weber's contract was signed before the current CBA.  It includes $1MM annual salaries for each of the last 3 seasons -- when he will be turning 38, 39 and 40.  If he retires at 39 -- I think Nashville gets hit with a cap penalty of some kind.  Can anyone confirm?

Yup they do. As will Montreal

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.