Sabres acquire Dmitry Kulikov for Mark Pysyk

Hoss

Thanks. Not sure if he can be that #1 QB type that Murray has been talking about, but he can certainly be a well rounded top 4 for a bunch of years. 

Murray hasn't been talking about him as a powerplay dman, he's been talking about him as a #1 PK dman.

He certainly took it to an extreme and it seemed almost personal for him. But his points were sound, no? Which of his points made him look dumb?

His insistence that the trade made no sense. It makes perfect sense.

On a side note, I had no issue with Pisser. His game was nice but he may be a shining example of why one can't rely solely on analytics. As GMTM so quaintly put it, mark is an analytics darling but the eyeballs leave you wanting more. He looked like a tuned up version of Matt Ellis. Nothing bad is going to happen when he's on the ice but good things aren't necessarily in the fold either. I also get the feeling Tim likes his D big and mean, Mark is neither.

His insistence that the trade made no sense. It makes perfect sense.

On a side note, I had no issue with Pisser. His game was nice but he may be a shining example of why one can't rely solely on analytics. As GMTM so quaintly put it, mark is an analytics darling but the eyeballs leave you wanting more. He looked like a tuned up version of Matt Ellis. Nothing bad is going to happen when he's on the ice but good things aren't necessarily in the fold either. I also get the feeling Tim likes his D big and mean, Mark is neither.

Sir, with respect...one cannot say they have no issue with Pisser and proceed to compare him, in any way, to Matt Ellis. Just can't do it! :p

I like Coller, but his whinging over this trade made him look ... weird. And odd. And sorta not smart.

I had to turn it off. He was just awful.

There has to be something to the possession numbers Pysyk has, and the lack of (apparently) for Kulikov. There have to be wide gaps in there that tell a different story when accurately and reasonably filled in.

My eyeball test told me Pysyk was never "hard to play against". My eyes told me that a Pysyk-type player probably would show his weaknesses during the Conference Finals and Stanley Cup rounds. Those were fricking tough-played games with lots of battling.

Risto doesn't go out of his way to hit, the hits line themselves up for him. If Kulikov plays a similar game to Risto and can QB a PP, and is left-handed...what's not to like? Pysyk doesn't have those qualities, which is not to say Pysyk is a bad D-man, but he wasn't/isn't a fit for this team the way DD and GMTM are putting it together.

Plus, this allowed Murray the chance to move up and get a man he wants. I'm still a believin' Murray knows what he wants in a player and knows how he wants his team to fit together. You can talk about Bogo and Kane all you want, frankly I think Kane is panning out, but sometimes you're going to miss the mark a little. The Kane part of that trade got us Eichel - a huge component in that transaction IMHO.

Anyway, look at ROR, Reinhart, Eichel, Kane, and now Nylander, and possibly Vesey and possibly Stamkos. He kept D-Lo which I think is great. I'm looking at those names and I'm thinking "now that's a line-up I would pay to go see..." and that tells me GMTM is doing his job.

Murray hasn't been talking about him as a powerplay dman, he's been talking about him as a #1 PK dman.

I know he hasn't. But he has expressed his desire to acquire a #1 QB type D-man. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't even bother with WGR after the trade. In one hour they must have had 50 minutes worth of commercials. Between the ads and PHam calling fans who prefer physical defensemen "knuckledraggers", I shut it off and called it a day. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Coller believes in the possession stats.  But, honestly, he's been up, and down and up and down.  I just haven't gotten enough satisfaction out of him.  While he hasn't played enough due to injuries, or inconsistency I believe he's a solid citizen on the back end.  I liked our side more, but I can understand it for Florida.  Asplund was one of my higher rated guys and I fell in love with his game.  

Edited by TheCerebral1

Coller believes in the possession stats.  But, honestly, he's been up, and down and up and down.  I just haven't gotten enough satisfaction out of him.  While he hasn't played enough due to injuries, or inconsistency I believe he's a solid citizen on the back end.  I liked our side more, but I can understand it for Florida.  Asplund was one of my higher rated guys and I fell in love with his game.  

The trade is really about Asplund, anyway, I think. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Kulikov is allowed to leave via free agency next offseason.

I am crushed that Murray has buried the "hates Russian" meme.

It doesn't. It just alters it. Kulikov has shown that he's a dedicated player who know how to excel in the NHL and not run off to the KHL. Drafting Russian players is a whole different story.

Found this interesting. 

Comparing Kulikov to Fowler 

http://public.tableau.com/shared/9FZWDCG49?:display_count=yes

Neither player is particularly inspiring when it comes to advanced/possession stats and both were heavily pursued by GMTM. It's an example that just because you're an analytics guy (as GMTM is considered to be) it doesn't mean that's the only way to evaluate players.

Kevin Shattenkirk, on the other hand, is a great dman by every metric out there.

Neither player is particularly inspiring when it comes to advanced/possession stats and both were heavily pursued by GMTM. It's an example that just because you're an analytics guy (as GMTM is considered to be) it doesn't mean that's the only way to evaluate players.

Kevin Shattenkirk, on the other hand, is a great dman by every metric out there.

Of course, when you're one of the worst possession teams in hockey, I don't think wanting your GM to pay attention to them for at least one of your defensemen is asking a whole lot.

Ultimately, I think the picture being painted so far is Murray likes his defensemen to be aggressive. I don't think they have to be big and mean, but he wants his Dmen going for big plays whether it's with or without the puck, even if it ends up backfiring a lot of the time. Certainly wasn't Pysyk's game, but it explains why he'd be high on players like Bogosian, McCabe, and Kulikov.

More importantly GMTM did not over pay to get Fowler.  Some combo of Ennis, Girgs and their 2017 1st Round Pick were being discussed.

If the Sabres miss out on Stamkos, I could see GMTM making a play for Shattenkirk if he agrees to an extension. 

Edited by BRAWNDO

Pysyk didnt log many minutes against top lines so his possession numbers look great.

No, he didn't, and that matters. Maybe he could have made the jump to 2nd pair, maybe not. But ultimately you want players who can put up good possession numbers in their role, and Pysyk was the only one on the team that did so. 

The trade is really about Asplund, anyway, I think. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Kulikov is allowed to leave via free agency next offseason.

After looking at this trade more it sounds like they really wanted Asplund and to do this deal to move up require Pysyk and the two picks. I still think Psysk is a better steady d-man than Kulikov is. Little shocked by the deal. But if you really wanted a player you sometimes have to overpay.

I just do not get the McCabe love. Do not. Even if we want to dismiss the inconsistency as a product of youth, he doesn't have a single standout skill--he's just okay at a bunch of stuff.

I think he's shown flashes of being good to very good at pretty much every desirable skill a defenseman should have, and he did so in his first full season. 

It should also be noted that an experienced NHL coaching staff clearly preferred him to Pysyk.

Except for driving even strength puck possession ;)

The eye test unmistakeably confirms that Pysyk never drove anything while on the ice. 

Pysyk didnt log many minutes against top lines so his possession numbers look great.

This. 

Also, the coaches also didn't trust him to kill penalties, and he had zero power play skill.

More importantly GMTM did not over pay to get Fowler. 

Yes indeed.  I'm much happier with where the Sabres are today after the trade they made than I would've been if they had traded #8 for Fowler.

No, he didn't, and that matters. Maybe he could have made the jump to 2nd pair, maybe not. But ultimately you want players who can put up good possession numbers in their role, and Pysyk was the only one on the team that did so. 

I don't think this is the ultimate goal.

I also think it was more important to upgrade the role of Risto's partner than it was to maintain a good possession number at the #6-#7 defenseman slot.

THere has to be another defenseman coming.  Stamkos or no. 

This is an interesting question.  I wouldn't be surprised either way.  They still have Nelson and Franson at #6-#7.

Separately:  as Hoss noted upthread, GMTM spoke very highly of Kulikov -- high enough that I expect GMTM to try to sign him to an extension.

Also worth noting that Kulikov played over 25 min per game for Florida in the playoffs this year after being 3rd on the team in ice time in the regular season (he was paired with Ekblad for much of the season too).

I think this is a significant upgrade.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.