Sabres acquire Dmitry Kulikov for Mark Pysyk

Hoss

Is that Kulikov's analysis from when he was a prospect?

It also sounds like exactly the guy we traded to get him, except he was younger and not on his way to UFA status in a year.

And the guy we traded was less proven, and a right handed shot. I can't stress that part enough. Pysyk showed he couldn't adequately play the left side. Clear demonstration here that handedness for D matters.

Sun Sentinel's Panthers writer's take:

Kulikov, 25, was drafted by the Panthers with the 14th overall pick in 2009, and played seven seasons. He came into his own last year as he cut down on his turnovers and finished with a career-best plus-8 to go with one goal and 16 assists in 74 games. He was the longest-tenured Panther.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/florida-panthers/fl-florida-panthers-0626-20160625-story.html

(not much else there, not really worth the click)

This means our defense next year just got worse.

Not really, since this team never valued Pysyk's game enough to give him 2nd pair minutes.

That said, I'm a pretty big meh on this deal. Think it upgrades Gorges, but not as much as I was hoping for going into the weekend. Really just sad the organization didn't value Pysyk, and kinda makes me continue to question Murray's evaluation of defensemen.

Pysyk just never had the physicality the team wanted; Kulikov helps a lot in that area, while still being a good puck mover.

Pysyk's offensive output was low too.

Kulikov comes as a second pairing guy on a playoff team, shoots left.

Decent enough deal.

Not really, since this team never valued Pysyk's game enough to give him 2nd pair minutes.

That said, I'm a pretty big meh on this deal. Think it upgrades Gorges, but not as much as I was hoping for going into the weekend. Really just sad the organization didn't value Pysyk, and kinda makes me continue to question Murray's evaluation of defensemen.

But Kulikov is in some ways similar, but a left shot. So Murray may still in affect value portions of Pysyk's game. He had a backlog at RHD facing him.

Do you think they are done for trades this weekend? They could still be trying to get that first pair guy, right?

Several things played into this and I believe it's a good trade because of them even if Pysyk ends up being a better player.

1. Move up in the Draft to get your guy.

2. Swapping a Right Hander for a Left Hander

3. This about finding someone to play with Risto, not necessarily who the best player is. Kulikov fits better than Pysyk/Gorges/Bogo/McCabe

4. This leaves the D pairings at Risto/Kulikov, Bogo/McCabe, Gorges/whoever wins this position. That isn't bad.

5. Kulikov is on an expiring contract. Why is this good? Options. 

If we do sign Stamkos we might be like Guhle is now ready, we don't need Kulikov, let him go, save the cap.

Expansion draft we can only cover so many defensemen and we HAVE to protect BOGO because of his NMC. Pysyk was likely lost anyway. Get something for him.

6. The extra pick means nothing, we have too many picks and not enough contracts. They're sweeteners. 

But Kulikov is in some ways similar, but a left shot. So Murray may still in affect value portions of Pysyk's game. He had a backlog at RHD facing him.

Do you think they are done for trades this weekend? They could still be trying to get that first pair guy, right?

Kulikov's numbers are distinctly unimpressive, whereas Pysyk's are quite good. From what I've read the last few days, Kulikov is also really sporadic looking great one moment and bad the next. Maybe that all averages out to be about as effective as the steady Pysyk, but we already have McCabe and Bogosian who have wild swings in performance. Don't hate it just meh.

And sure, we could still chase a top pair guy, I don't expect it though. The team loves McCabe, and I don't think they brought Kulikov in to play 3rd pair either. Still hoping for a Gorges trade though.

Several things played into this and I believe it's a good trade because of them even if Pysyk ends up being a better player.

1. Move up in the Draft to get your guy.

2. Swapping a Right Hander for a Left Hander

3. This about finding someone to play with Risto, not necessarily who the best player is. Kulikov fits better than Pysyk/Gorges/Bogo/McCabe

4. This leaves the D pairings at Risto/Kulikov, Bogo/McCabe, Gorges/whoever wins this position. That isn't bad.

5. Kulikov is on an expiring contract. Why is this good? Options. 

If we do sign Stamkos we might be like Guhle is now ready, we don't need Kulikov, let him go, save the cap.

Expansion draft we can only cover so many defensemen and we HAVE to protect BOGO because of his NMC. Pysyk was likely lost anyway. Get something for him.

6. The extra pick means nothing, we have too many picks and not enough contracts. They're sweeteners. 

Welcome back!

Can you shed light on #5?  There are a lot of people here who have said that Bogo's NMC does not kick in until after the expansion draft.

Yea, Pysyk wasn't a 2nd pair Dman here...but he should have been.

The problem is while he is a possession teams dream.  He is what he is, a third pairing D.  He never really developed into providing great offense.  He's a decent D.  Good luck to him. 

Kulikov's numbers are distinctly unimpressive, whereas Pysyk's are quite good. From what I've read the last few days, Kulikov is also really sporadic looking great one moment and bad the next. Maybe that all averages out to be about as effective as the steady Pysyk, but we already have McCabe and Bogosian who have wild swings in performance. Don't hate it just meh.

And sure, we could still chase a top pair guy, I don't expect it though. The team loves McCabe, and I don't think they brought Kulikov in to play 3rd pair either. Still hoping for a Gorges trade though.

Interesting - not positive they are done w/ trying to trade. Guess we'll see.

I may be wrong, but didn't Murray said that they have no potential issues with the expansion draft?

The quote was something like he didn't think he had any NMCs to protect.

Then we all took it and ran with the idea that Bogo's NMC doesn't kick in until 7/1/17.

Then there were some suggestions to the contrary.

Welcome back!

Can you shed light on #5?  There are a lot of people here who have said that Bogo's NMC does not kick in until after the expansion draft.

That might actually be true. I think the age is 27 for the NMC to click in, but I think there is an exception if you've played x amount of seasons. I honestly don't remember. Either way, You're protecting Rasmus, you're protecting McCabe, was Pysyk going to be the third guy you protect between him, Nelson, Ruhwedel and Bogo? MAYBE, but I don't think so. I honestly don't think they're done acquiring defensemen.

This makes the expansion draft interesting with Kulikov, Risto, McCabe and Bogo. I'm going to think Bogo is the one they expose of those four if they're all here.

The rules are they have to protect NMC, so Bogo has to be protected. Kulikov will be UFA.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.