Sabres acquire Dmitry Kulikov for Mark Pysyk

Hoss

He could, sure, but I don't think we're in very good shape if that's how it shakes out.

i'd like to think that puts us in great shape. We have a top pair, know who to protect and still have prospects growin on the farm for future years

I just do not get the McCabe love. Do not. Even if we want to dismiss the inconsistency as a product of youth, he doesn't have a single standout skill--he's just okay at a bunch of stuff.

I think he's progressed consistently since he's been in the league, is a natural leader and hasn't come close to his ceiling IMO

Murray does it again. He overpays consistently in trades. He has traded away numerous #1 draft picks and to this point has very little to show for it. Kulikov is essentially a one year rental for Pysyk? I don't get it.

So you wouldn't trade Pysyk and #89 for Kulikov?

Just because you don't understand doesn't make it wrong.  Bylsma said they've been watching a lot of film on Kulikov the last 3 weeks.  You'll have to forgive me that I'll side with their assessment of him.

Believe whatever you want, but I don't like the trade. You can have your own opinion based on what you heard or read elsewhere. I'd rather rely on my own two eyes and I prefer Pysyk. 

Murray on Pysyk:

“You have to trade away a good player, and Mark is a very good player. Mark is kind of an analytics darling, and we know that. So we knew there’d be a little pushback on that.”

What an awesome statement.  If nothing else - he's entertaining.

Murray on Pysyk:

“You have to trade away a good player, and Mark is a very good player. Mark is kind of an analytics darling, and we know that. So we knew there’d be a little pushback on that.”

Explains why Matthew Coller was whining about the trade non-stop. You'd have thought that they traded his life-long best friend.

In the category of "nobody else really cares," what number will he wear?

7 is retired. He wore 29 in the CHL (McCabe). He wore 43 as a rookie (yuck). 17 is available.

We've got some "good numbers" available: 3, 5, 6, 8, 10, 17, 19, 20, 21, 24, 25.

Believe whatever you want, but I don't like the trade. You can have your own opinion based on what you heard or read elsewhere. I'd rather rely on my own two eyes and I prefer Pysyk. 

I understand and you're of course perfectly within your right as well. I think if we both admit it we don't know Kulikov's play on a game by game basis - so we read.  The Sabres see him doing some things they feel the team needs along with being LH.  I'm sure we'll miss Psyk's 11 points next year but don't you think it's wise to let Murray decide which is the better fit?

Edited by 7+6=13

What an awesome statement.  If nothing else - he's entertaining.

Blue is the little pushback. (Show us your hands.) The use of "darling" holds analytics in a measure of contempt, so of course I approve heartily of this message.

Edited by PASabreFan

This was Kuli's best year. In the past he had a tendency to take penalties and make bad plays at inopportune times. He has minimized these significantly in the past year. As has been mentioned, Kuli will go out of his way to make plays instead of sitting back, and he has learned when to make these plays. It was his downfall for the first couple of years. He is not a fighter. He also isn't a huge hitter, if I had to guess without looking up stats, he's probably half the hitter Foligno, Kane and Nickie D are. But he doesn't go out of his way to shy away from hits and he won't hesitate to stick up for a teammate. 

Take his point totals for what it's worth. He's played on some pretty bad power play teams. I don't think he will turn out to be a huge point scorer, but he is perfectly capable of handling the puck and playing on a power play unit. I think if he's given a chance to be a number #1 D pairing and/or a #1 PP pairing, he just might flourish. Before this year, I wasn't sure if he would pan out, but he improved significantly this year leading me to believe he might improve even more. Kuli's gone through some serious roster and management changes over the years, there aren't too many players in the league that have seen so many coaches and teammates as him. Would be nice to see him re-sign at the end of the year and see how he can play with some stability. 

I've gotten the impression that Pysyk has hit his ceiling. Which isn't a bad thing. He's an ideal top 4 D-man with great possession numbers and he's one of the smartest players on the ice. He does what a D-man is supposed to do, defend. 

This trade is apples vs. oranges. Two totally different players. I really don't see a reason to pick a winner in the trade, it was just two teams looking for something different. 

So are you a scout? If not I'll trust their own two eyes. No offense.

This was Kuli's best year. In the past he had a tendency to take penalties and make bad plays at inopportune times. He has minimized these significantly in the past year. As has been mentioned, Kuli will go out of his way to make plays instead of sitting back, and he has learned when to make these plays. It was his downfall for the first couple of years. He is not a fighter. He also isn't a huge hitter, if I had to guess without looking up stats, he's probably half the hitter Foligno, Kane and Nickie D are. But he doesn't go out of his way to shy away from hits and he won't hesitate to stick up for a teammate. 

Take his point totals for what it's worth. He's played on some pretty bad power play teams. I don't think he will turn out to be a huge point scorer, but he is perfectly capable of handling the puck and playing on a power play unit. I think if he's given a chance to be a number #1 D pairing and/or a #1 PP pairing, he just might flourish. Before this year, I wasn't sure if he would pan out, but he improved significantly this year leading me to believe he might improve even more. Kuli's gone through some serious roster and management changes over the years, there aren't too many players in the league that have seen so many coaches and teammates as him. Would be nice to see him re-sign at the end of the year and see how he can play with some stability. 

I've gotten the impression that Pysyk has hit his ceiling. Which isn't a bad thing. He's an ideal top 4 D-man with great possession numbers and he's one of the smartest players on the ice. He does what a D-man is supposed to do, defend. 

This trade is apples vs. oranges. Two totally different players. I really don't see a reason to pick a winner in the trade, it was just two teams looking for something different.

Nice analysis. Thanks for the post. Your last sentence is a great summary.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.