Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

But if there were really no change in their thinking, why wouldn't the agent just reiterate what he's been saying all along -- i.e. "we had a great meeting with the Sabres, we appreciate their interest and Jimmy will strongly consider them on Aug. 15, but we are going to stick to our plan of waiting until Aug. 15 and considering all options?"

That wouldn't be very professional for him to say because it makes GMTM and the Sabres look bad for travelling all the way over there only to waste their time.    Fish needs to maintain a positive working relationship with the Sabres because of Eichel and whatever other clients he may have in their system.    He needs to acknowledge to the league (other teams) that they were happy they came to visit Jimmy and give a presentation, so when Aug 15 rolls around they can simply open their doors for business and start lining them up at the door.    I'm not saying he's lying, maybe they really were impressed with the presentation and will talk contract down the line here soon, but I really didn't expect him to say anything other then that they enjoyed the presentation, it was productive and informative visit and we'll consider our options.     

Actually, the Aug 15 remark doesn't *say* anything. It doesn't indicate a change of posture on Vesey's part. I think it's purposely nebulous- it gets hope up for Buffalo fans, but does not indicate a substantive change in Vesey's thinking.

I agree with this. Strictly speaking, I don't see this quote any different than how it was before.

I think folks might be overestimating the value of a "clearer picture of the future" when we're talking about like, one off season month.

We can debate whether Vesey's exclusive rights until Aug. 15 is an asset of value, but what there is no debate over is whether GMTM thinks Vesey's exclusive rights has value.

IMO there isn't a universe where he voluntarily abandons an asset of value.

Very well said.

So was Vesey's father at the meeting with Buffalo? I read on another site that he was expected to attend, not sure if its true or not? IF he was that's some BS. Why would an employee with another organization be allowed to hear the Sabres pitch/presentation? Hopefully Murray would bitch slap him out of the room if he showed up.

So was Vesey's father at the meeting with Buffalo? I read on another site that he was expected to attend, not sure if its true or not? IF he was that's some BS. Why would an employee with another organization be allowed to hear the Sabres pitch/presentation? Hopefully Murray would bitch slap him out of the room if he showed up.

If he signs with Toronto after all this then we know the kid can't make his own decisions.

I don't think it's really super nefarious if the kid is talking to his father or even wants to play for the same team that employs his father.  Free agent athletes in all sports have decided to play with siblings, fathers have managed sons in baseball, college coaches recruit their own kids, etc.  Of course he'd take advice from his dad - what kid in their early 20s wouldn't?

His dad certainly isn't allowed to promise him contracts or tamper with him, but come on, you can't tell him not to speak to his own father because he works for the Leafs.

I don't think it's really super nefarious if the kid is talking to his father or even wants to play for the same team that employs his father.  Free agent athletes in all sports have decided to play with siblings, fathers have managed sons in baseball, college coaches recruit their own kids, etc.  Of course he'd take advice from his dad - what kid in their early 20s wouldn't?

His dad certainly isn't allowed to promise him contracts or tamper with him, but come on, you can't tell him not to speak to his own father because he works for the Leafs.

It's a conflict of interest and potentially tampering regardless of whether or not sons generally ask for advice from their fathers. It's a special circumstance.

Actually, the Aug 15 remark doesn't *say* anything.  It doesn't indicate a change of posture on Vesey's part.  I think it's purposely nebulous- it gets hope up for Buffalo fans, but does not indicate a substantive change in Vesey's thinking.

It fits the narrative for a slow retreat to save face. There definitely has been increasingly warm comments from Fish.

That was you, huh?  You sound like you look.I don't know if this has been brought up already, but it occurred to me that what they're REALLY negotiating is the not the ELC, but the RFA contract to follow.  Other than line-mates, usage, and surrounds, it's likely what Vesey is interested to hear about is "what will you do, or what position will we all be in, when the ELC ends?"

For all we know, they are looking for a contract extension six months into his ELC.

This is excellent insight that hasn't got enough attention.

What's to stop Murray from saying "look Jimmy, we're giving you the max for your ELC, but here is a five-year $25 million extension that we've already signed. You can choose to sign it Jul 1 2018, or not, depending on what's in your best interest.

It fits the narrative for a slow retreat to save face. There definitely has been increasingly warm comments from Fish.

What's to stop Murray from saying "look Jimmy, we're giving you the max for your ELC, but here is a five-year $25 million extension that we've already signed. You can choose to sign it Jul 1 2018, or not, depending on what's in your best interest.

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa horsey

Seeing as how it would be a 2 year ELC, he could sign an extension as soon as next summer, July 1, 2017

If, for no reason other than Peters seems to think he's going elsewhere, I am optimistic he will be a Sabre.

If he is, I'd be real fine with the following lines to start the year:

O'Reilly - Reinhart - Ennis

Vesey - Eichel - Okposo

Kane - Larsson - Gionta

Foligno - Girgensons - Fasching

Spare - Deslauriers

When in the Sabres end, have O'Reilly primarily playing C, and have him take ALL faceoffs (except when they specifically want the RH shot on the dot). This way Ennis ends up on his off wing which is where he seems most comfortable/effective. For all the talk of how great Eichel & Reinhart looked, ROR & Sam had some nice chemistry as well.

Will Vesey belong on a top 2 line out of the gate? Considering the other options at LW (and to a degree C), I'd say he can at least get a shot at it. And, giving him the team's (hopefully) top RW as a linemate and Eichel should allow him to break in fairly well. Just make sure that line NEVER gets caught on the ice w/ the 3rd D pairing and the other team's top line. Bad things man, bad things.

KLG should be very sound defensively and provided Gionta didn't lose a step in the off-season (it'll happen soon, hopefully not yet) should be a serious forechecking force.

Foligno - Girgensons - Fasching (or Bailey) (or Carrier w/ Foligno on his off wing) should be nearly a 3 quality 4. (It's good to have 1/2 of the top 2 lines on ELC's. ;) )

D is still a bit scary; but with only being able to protect 3 w/out only protecting 4 F's and w/ Bogosian apparently auto-protected, it probably makes sense to wait until next year to bring in Fowler or other upgrade.

When Vesey signs, this'll be fun. :)

If, for no reason other than Peters seems to think he's going elsewhere, I am optimistic he will be a Sabre.

If he is, I'd be real fine with the following lines to start the year:

O'Reilly - Reinhart - Ennis

Vesey - Eichel - Okposo

Kane - Larsson - Gionta

Foligno - Girgensons - Fasching

Spare - Deslauriers

When in the Sabres end, have O'Reilly primarily playing C, and have him take ALL faceoffs (except when they specifically want the RH shot on the dot). This way Ennis ends up on his off wing which is where he seems most comfortable/effective. For all the talk of how great Eichel & Reinhart looked, ROR & Sam had some nice chemistry as well.

Will Vesey belong on a top 2 line out of the gate? Considering the other options at LW (and to a degree C), I'd say he can at least get a shot at it. And, giving him the team's (hopefully) top RW as a linemate and Eichel should allow him to break in fairly well. Just make sure that line NEVER gets caught on the ice w/ the 3rd D pairing and the other team's top line. Bad things man, bad things.

KLG should be very sound defensively and provided Gionta didn't lose a step in the off-season (it'll happen soon, hopefully not yet) should be a serious forechecking force.

Foligno - Girgensons - Fasching (or Bailey) (or Carrier w/ Foligno on his off wing) should be nearly a 3 quality 4. (It's good to have 1/2 of the top 2 lines on ELC's. ;) )

D is still a bit scary; but with only being able to protect 3 w/out only protecting 4 F's and w/ Bogosian apparently auto-protected, it probably makes sense to wait until next year to bring in Fowler or other upgrade.

The really cool thing is, Reinhart seems to be able to develop chemistry with anyone.

You REEEAAAALY looking to get DB to saddle him w/ Moulson for a month just to prove there is an exception to every rule? :P

Poor Moulson. Yes, I should have said Reinhart is capable of developing chemistry with anyone actually still capable of a chemical reaction. :lol:

Reinhart is the smartest player on the Sabres. He adapts and I love it

He's like Ditto.

Of course his Dad was there... he had to hear what his new role with the Sabres would be when his son signs.

ROR & Sam had some nice chemistry as well.

The Peters point lol I love it. Jason Peters at work lol.

You make a great point in reminding people that Sam and ROR also showed some great chemistry and furthers the point that you can plug Sam in anywhere probably. Great kid.

Vesey would get his chance to prove he belongs. Nothing is guaranteed. But if he examines the big picture here, even if he got placed on the third line he plays with Kane (if here) and life should be good.

I'll disagree with you about waiting for a Fowler, Barrie guy. If they're available now, now's the time.

It will be an awesome bonus if Vesey does in fact sign here. If he doesn't, it will just be an awesome time anyway!

You REEEAAAALY looking to get DB to saddle him w/ Moulson for a month just to prove there is an exception to every rule? :P

Seeing as he Moulson put up a few goals with Reinhart and Eichel near the end I'd say even he works with the Reinhart

He's like Ditto.

More like Mew

Edited by thewookie1

I disagree to a point with the chemistry with ROR.  I think it was more Sam just knowing whereto be with a bit of help from ROR.  When Sam and Jack got together when Ryan was out it looked lime the game slowed down for both of them.  The no look backhand Sam dished to Jack at center ice was otherworldly. 

When Sam and Jack got together when Ryan was out it looked lime the game slowed down for both of them.  The no look backhand Sam dished to Jack at center ice was otherworldly.

This point trumps all. Let's not forget the image of the two happy boys strutting down the hall to the locker room. I would be curious to know their real answers if asked, but I suspect either would be happy to give up their natural position to keep playing on the same line together.

I disagree to a point with the chemistry with ROR.  I think it was more Sam just knowing whereto be with a bit of help from ROR.  When Sam and Jack got together when Ryan was out it looked lime the game slowed down for both of them.  The no look backhand Sam dished to Jack at center ice was otherworldly. 

No really, there's chemistry between Sam and ROR.

Edited by Robin Egg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.