Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

Haha GMTM, I know we joke about his ZFG attitude, but in terms of schmoozing a coveted player I hope he did ok yesterday. When we hired him one of the first things my BiL told me, and he had many interactions with him during his time with the Sens, was that it can be very awkward having a conversation with him at times due to his direct, serious nature.

Haha GMTM, I know we joke about his ZFG attitude, but in terms of schmoozing a coveted player I hope he did ok yesterday. When we hired him one of the first things my BiL told me, and he had many interactions with him during his time with the Sens, was that it can be very awkward having a conversation with him at times due to his direct, serious nature.

Yes that's true about his delivery. I love it but I can see how it could rub ppl wrong. Murray was smart enough to bring their NCAA scout who also coached Vesey as a freshmen so I hope that helped.

You don't trade a pick to let the guy talk to other ppl. We aren't in a rush and neither is he. When Jack leaves to come to Buffalo and Vesey is sitting back in Boston waiting for the 15th it might help him decide.

There is no rush to sign him. You don't let him talk to anyone until August.

The idea is that the Sabres get to hear and respond to what the other teams say, and to make offers.  The other teams only can talk.  And maybe only one meeting for each team or something.

And while there is no rush to sign him, the team might want to make other plans if it learns that it's a certainty that he won't be here.

This was actually discussed on the morning show yesterday.

Am I mixing up my days?

The idea is that the Sabres get to hear and respond to what the other teams say, and to make offers. The other teams only can talk. And maybe only one meeting for each team or something.

And while there is no rush to sign him, the team might want to make other plans if it learns that it's a certainty that he won't be here.

Am I mixing up my days?

Lol respond to what? "Hey Jim you're in our top 6 and here's the max elc deal." There, I just told you what every other team is doing. We bought an exclusive window and should keep it exclusive

Lol respond to what? "Hey Jim you're in our top 6 and here's the max elc deal." There, I just told you what every other team is doing. We bought an exclusive window and should keep it exclusive

If he interviews with, I don't know, the Columbus Blue Jackets, and decides that NO MATTER WHAT he's going there, GMTM might want to know that sooner rather than later.  Assuming that he is sincere when he says he's waiting to talk with other teams and absolutely won't sign until he does, there's no downside in allowing him to do it now.

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2016/07/08/vesey-agent-sabres-meeting-went-well/

“The meeting went very well, I'd have to say,” Vesey’s agent, Peter Fish, said Friday in an email to The Buffalo News. “However, until we sit down with Jimmy and fully digest everything we heard yesterday, I can't really comment on how it might affect Aug. 15th.”

That quote represents an improvement in the Sabres' position -- i.e. "The meeting went very well...I can't comment on how it affects Aug. 15" is much better than "Regardless of what the Sabres did, we're waiting until Aug. 15."

An interesting idea discussed on GR this morning:

Why not let him have a few conversations with other teams now, and come back to the Sabres with his thoughts?

Can't hurt and might result in certainty--either way--more quickly.

This morning, huh? I called Schopp with that idea Wednesday and he said it was a dumb idea.

That quote represents an improvement in the Sabres' position -- i.e. "The meeting went very well...I can't comment on how it affects Aug. 15" is much better than "Regardless of what the Sabres did, we're waiting until Aug. 15."

Actually, the Aug 15 remark doesn't *say* anything.  It doesn't indicate a change of posture on Vesey's part.  I think it's purposely nebulous- it gets hope up for Buffalo fans, but does not indicate a substantive change in Vesey's thinking.

The idea is that the Sabres get to hear and respond to what the other teams say, and to make offers.  The other teams only can talk.  And maybe only one meeting for each team or something.

Am I mixing up my days?

Nope - you're right - I called in and discussed it with Peters and Rivet today - John from Ct......  I had discussed here and on other boards previously.  It's a no-brainer, good-will type thing, I think cuz saves face for Vesey and let's him figure out prior to 8/15 if Buffalo really is the place.  Would help with other contingency plans GMTM might have.  We still retain exclusivity, in that he still wouldn't be able to sign with another team until 8/15.  It would hopefully allow Vesey to determine he wants to go to BUF and sign with us well before the 8/15 time frame.  Maybe you give him a window to speak to 5-10 teams from now until 7/15, or something like that??

Interesting.

This morning, huh? I called Schopp with that idea Wednesday and he said it was a dumb idea.

Schopp can be a little dismissive of others' ideas sometimes.  Not exactly a corkscrew thinker.  But I still like his show.

As above, it may have been yesterday morning and I could be getting my mornings mixed up.  The last few days have blended together quite nicely.

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2016/07/08/vesey-agent-sabres-meeting-went-well/

Keep pulling back more and more. Save that face. We've got time.

Also, Murray as loquacious as ever:

Not to throw a wet blanket on this, but Fish's quote means nothing.   It's the only thing he can say.    Behind closed doors Fish/Vesey could be very disappointed and have no interest, but he's not going to come out and say that to the media when his other client, Eichel, is the darling of the city.       

You've obviously never had cold pizza for breakfast.

Had a slice this morning by the way!!!

Personally I think he signs here but it seems silly to let your impatience with the process he's following blind you to his right to do what he's doing. 

If he interviews with, I don't know, the Columbus Blue Jackets, and decides that NO MATTER WHAT he's going there, GMTM might want to know that sooner rather than later. Assuming that he is sincere when he says he's waiting to talk with other teams and absolutely won't sign until he does, there's no downside in allowing him to do it now.

The down side is we own his rights for another 30 days and can continue to pitch to him. In your scenario we don't have exclusive rights. I hate your idea honestly

The down side is we own his rights for another 30 days and can continue to pitch to him. In your scenario we don't have exclusive rights. I hate your idea honestly

It's not my idea, so I'm not going to be offended, but the Sabres still can prevent him from actually signing with any other team until August 16.

Or, if we know he's definitely leaving, maybe that sneaky GMTM could sell his rights for a 3rd.

I believe what is suggested is to allow him to "talk" with other teams while still holding his rights. This would allow the Sabres to maybe know quickly what his decision is. Don't think this would make our chances any less or any greater of signing him.

PromoTheRobot, on 08 Jul 2016 - 12:10 PM, said:

That was you, huh?  You sound like you look.

I don't know if this has been brought up already, but it occurred to me that what they're REALLY negotiating is the not the ELC, but the RFA contract to follow.  Other than line-mates, usage, and surrounds, it's likely what Vesey is interested to hear about is "what will you do, or what position will we all be in, when the ELC ends?"

For all we know, they are looking for a contract extension six months into his ELC. 

Yes that's true about his delivery. I love it but I can see how it could rub ppl wrong. Murray was smart enough to bring their NCAA scout who also coached Vesey as a freshmen so I hope that helped.

I think his  humour isn't easy to swallow, If your sarcasm meter isn't on I don't think you can get it.

Continue to pitch him and bug the hell out of him, so there's no way he comes here??

Actually, the Aug 15 remark doesn't *say* anything.  It doesn't indicate a change of posture on Vesey's part.  I think it's purposely nebulous- it gets hope up for Buffalo fans, but does not indicate a substantive change in Vesey's thinking.

Not to throw a wet blanket on this, but Fish's quote means nothing.   It's the only thing he can say.    Behind closed doors Fish/Vesey could be very disappointed and have no interest, but he's not going to come out and say that to the media when his other client, Eichel, is the darling of the city.    

But if there were really no change in their thinking, why wouldn't the agent just reiterate what he's been saying all along -- i.e. "we had a great meeting with the Sabres, we appreciate their interest and Jimmy will strongly consider them on Aug. 15, but we are going to stick to our plan of waiting until Aug. 15 and considering all options?"

That was you, huh?  You sound like you look.

I don't know if this has been brought up already, but it occurred to me that what they're REALLY negotiating is the not the ELC, but the RFA contract to follow.  Other than line-mates, usage, and surrounds, it's likely what Vesey is interested to hear about is "what will you do, or what position will we all be in, when the ELC ends?"

For all we know, they are looking for a contract extension six months into his ELC. 

Isn't the ELC a 3-year deal? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.