Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

Tim Schaller has barely sniffed the NHL. He just snubbed Buffalo to play for the Bruins.

But I guess he "earned the privilege."

Did GMTM try to sign him?  I don't recall seeing that, but I could've easily missed it.

As I've mentioned before, I liked Schaller and saw him as a solid 4th-line option.

As I've mentioned before, I liked Schaller and saw him as a solid 4th-line option.

That's your problem. That entitled prick thinks he's gonna get top six duty in Boston. I hope he does too because if Schaller is playing top six on the bruins they are ruined. :w00t:

Definitely won't be unless he becomes a regular 45+ goal scorer again, which is hard for many people to see happening.

He's 26 and already has over 300g and over 500 points. He'll be a first ballot hall of famer no question.

Vesey is only 3 years younger with 0 career NHL minutes.

Have you guys watched any Harvard/USA film on him? Thinking not so much, as you wouldn't be doubting his talent/top 6 potential. He may or may not come to Buffalo but he's never demanded a top 6 spot. All he has said is he's a reviewing rosters to see where he'll have the best opportunity.

He's reviewing rosters to see which one is weakest so he can be a nominal top six player in the NHL. He can then tally a lot of meaningless points on a mediocre team and ensure a sweeter payday on his second contract. Does he care about winning?

Did GMTM try to sign him? I don't recall seeing that, but I could've easily missed it.

I have no idea. Schaller talked about leaving during the Rochester season wrap.

Doesn't change the point that picking your organization isn't limited to veterans, HOF candidates or not, or that Vesey is not doing anything other than exercising his collectively bargained rights.

What Vesey is doing is waiting until he qualifies for free agency before he signs a contract.

He's using the tools available to him to find the best fit for himself.

He's no different than Schaller or Stamkos, or Vanek or Leino or any other hockey pending free agent before him.

Pretending he is without also slamming the rest is pure hypocrisy.

He's reviewing rosters to see which one is weakest so he can be a nominal top six player in the NHL. He can then tally a lot of meaningless points on a mediocre team and ensure a sweeter payday on his second contract. Does he care about winning?

Is that all you've read into what his camp has said?

Looks to me like you've chosen one aspect and portrayed it in the worst light possible.

Edited by dudacek

Yep - people seem to pick and choose what they want about Vesey to justify their flawed opinions. Not sure why anybody would sign with a team early when he can look at 30 teams? And, he still may sign with buffalo. Seems like logic 101, that for some reason people can't comprehend.

He's 26 and already has over 300g and over 500 points. He'll be a first ballot hall of famer no question.

Do you see him winning more Richard Trophies? Because I have a hard time seeing him hit 40 goals at this point, unless he suddenly gains the step he lost a couple years ago. If this decline continues, and health remains an issue, he'll keep falling further below a point-per-game, and won't add anything more to a trophy case with 2 Richards and nothing else. While a great career, I definitely don't think that's a first-ballot lock. 

Of course, he could turn it on again.

And I didn't mean to make any comparisons to Vesey, I was just singling the Stamkos part out.

Do you see him winning more Richard Trophies? Because I have a hard time seeing him hit 40 goals at this point, unless he suddenly gains the step he lost a couple years ago. If this decline continues, and health remains an issue, he'll keep falling further below a point-per-game, and won't add anything more to a trophy case with 2 Richards and nothing else. While a great career, I definitely don't think that's a first-ballot lock.

Of course, he could turn it on again.

And I didn't mean to make any comparisons to Vesey, I was just singling the Stamkos part out.

I see your point. I just don't think hes damaged goods at 26. If he averages 20g a year for thr next 10, he still gets over 500g. Chances are he finishes close to 600g, which puts him top 20 of all time.

I see your point. I just don't think hes damaged goods at 26. If he averages 20g a year for thr next 10, he still gets over 500g. Chances are he finishes close to 600g, which puts him top 20 of all time.

I hope he's not damaged goods, cause I really like the guy and wanted him to come here even with the warning signs and cap hit. 

Back to Vesey, though. Not that I have much to say about the situation.

The thing that bugs me the most is how Vesey is apparently giving no consideration of how children are perceiving all of this.

For shame, Jimmy.

I know, eh?

Because of him, my children have now also decided not to take the first job offered them.

I've now forbidden them from watching hockey in case they get inspired to take a well-paying eight-month internship in their field in Europe instead taking first-year university courses at home in a field they have no interest in pursuing.

Edited by dudacek

Yep - people seem to pick and choose what they want about Vesey to justify their flawed opinions. Not sure why anybody would sign with a team early when he can look at 30 teams? And, he still may sign with buffalo. Seems like logic 101, that for some reason people can't comprehend.

It's like you go to a buffet and somebody there offers you a cheeseburger before the buffet officially opens. You might love cheeseburgers, but you'd still wait a few minutes for the buffett to open up so you can see what else they have. And you might end up having a cheeseburger anyway.

That said, he would've been better off not sayung anything about top 6, looking at rosters and see and contract numbers. It makes him look like a spoiled little kid who cries when he doesnt get exactly what he wants for Christmas. It's a bad reflection of his character.

Well, all I know is I'd do the same thing in his position. Once in a lifetime chance. Think McDavid didn't seriously consider this option? He should have done it

Once in a lifetime? He'll bee an UFA several times in his careeer. UFA status is a privilege in the national league.

I do place some blame on the NHL for this. It seems the fair thing to do would've been to place him back in the draft after he completed his college career.

That said, he would've been better off not sayung anything about top 6, looking at rosters and see and contract numbers. It makes him look like a spoiled little kid who cries when he doesnt get exactly what he wants for Christmas. It's a bad reflection of his character.

Yep, because nobody has a similar checklist when they are looking at their job options.

How is this like Christmas morning?

He's not opening presents, he is considering multiple job offers.

Once in a lifetime? He'll bee an UFA several times in his careeer. UFA status is a privilege in the national league.

I do place some blame on the NHL for this. It seems the fair thing to do would've been to place him back in the draft after he completed his college career.

UFA is not a privilege, it is a collectively bargained right. Edited by dudacek

He's not guaranteed another shot at a UFA position, and even if it is likely, why not position yourself to be in the best possible shape you could be in? It's his first job in his career out of college, and he should what? take it because he worked his ass off  got lucky enough to earn  fall ass backwards into it?

He's not guaranteed another shot at a UFA position, and even if it is likely, why not position yourself to be in the best possible shape you could be in? It's his first job in his career out of college, and he should what? take it because he worked his ass off got lucky enough to earn fall ass backwards into it?

He should've signed with NSH. He flat out lied to them about his intentions. They're a contender, why didnt he sign with a winning successful franchise about to go on a long playoff run with a good chance at winning a Cup? It sounds like he cares very little about winning and very much so about personal financial gain. I wouldn't want that attitude permeating throughout my locker room.

He should've signed with NSH. He flat out lied to them about his intentions. They're a contender, why didnt he sign with a winning successful franchise about to go on a long playoff run with a good chance at winning a Cup? It sounds like he cares very little about winning and very much so about personal financial gain. I wouldn't want that attitude permeating throughout my locker room.

I don't know, maybe he didn't want to be 20 hours away from his family. Maybe he doesn't like that city, or that organization. Maybe he hates country music. Maybe he figured there were 29 other teams, and that risking his entire career on being shackled to .03% of the league was a bad idea. 

23 years old. He's a rookie, not Kevin Durant in his prime after making millions of dollars.

Edited by WildCard

I don't know, maybe he didn't want to be 20 hours away from his family. Maybe he doesn't like that city, or that organization. Maybe he hates country music. Maybe he figured there were 29 other teams, and that risking his entire career on being shackled to .03% of the league was a bad idea.

23 years old. He's a rookie, not Kevin Durant in his prime after making millions of dollars.

Well if his behavior is any sign of things to come, what happens when he's in positon where he's asked to make a personal sacrifice for the betterment of the team? Shot blocking, killing penalties, playing a system, backchecking, etc... if his primary concern is staying healthy so he can put up numbers for his next contract he'll quickly get a reputation as a soft player unwilling to do the dirty work which makes a team successful.

It sounds like he didn't want to live in Nashville.

Also, maybe he didn't think a budget, small market team that has never really seriously contended was as close to the cup as you seem to. Or maybe he really does only care about money even though he sacrificed as much money by not signing with Nashville a year ago as he stands to gain by picking his team now.

Its amazing how much insight you've been able to glean about Vesey's character from a few newspaper quotes ad a desire to see if he has better options than Nashville.

Well if his behavior is any sign of things to come, what happens when he's in positon where he's asked to make a personal sacrifice for the betterment of the team? Shot blocking, killing penalties, playing a system, backchecking, etc... if his primary concern is staying healthy so he can put up numbers for his next contract he'll quickly get a reputation as a soft player unwilling to do the dirty work which makes a team successful.

Being far away from home or not liking a city has nothing to do with being unwilling to work hard. His degree and captaincy will speak for his work ethic

Pi -- you are free to choose to believe the Predators' version of events, but Vesey and his agent have repeatedly denied that version and offered a different one. You can't just state the Predators' version as undisputed fact.

Who would you trust? An established well respect GM who's leading a successful franchise? Or a 23 year old kid who has never played a game in the league? Poile has no history of jerking around players, far from it. Vesey has no history.

Are any of these things his reputation now?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.