Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

I'm betting the whole "being guaranteed a top 6 spot with ample power play time" thing came directly from WGR. In fact, I can hear Andrew Peters saying those exact words in my head. 

It came from an interview he gave to The Boston Globe. Note, he's not quoted as saying the top-6 or power play stuff, but it is absolutely attributed to him as a paraphrase of what he said.

Here's where the top-6 and power play stuff comes from:

His checklist when considering where to play, said Vesey, will include the prospective team’s coach, its style of play, and whether both sides could envision him playing among the top six forwards and also on the power play. He’s not only looking at his first NHL deal, but the next one, one that will be all the more lucrative if he has goals and assists as bona fides.

Though Vesey won’t identify who he thinks will make his short list, it’s likely Boston will be on it, along with the likes of Toronto (where Jim Vesey, his father, is a scout), Buffalo, the three teams in metro New York, possibly along with Philadelphia and perhaps St. Louis. His father had a brief NHL tour and has a number of pals in Blues hockey operations.

“I have a couple of teams in mind, but my dad’s said he is going to let me make the decision,’’ said Vesey. “I think that’s fair. I am 23 years old at this point, so I am a man on my own and . . . I think I’d like to be in the Northeast a little bit."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/bruins/2016/07/02/jimmy-vesey-mulling-his-nhl-future/d0xIzgGvkAJD4kBOoI4dgK/story.html

It came from an interview he gave to The Boston Globe. Note, he's not quoted as saying the top-6 or power play stuff, but it is absolutely attributed to him as a paraphrase of what he said.

It would be interesting to note if the people who have a bug up their ass about this are the same ones that complain sports figures aren't honest or answer in cliches...

A guy from Harvard has put together some sort of merit function/wish list to help him decide where he would like to start his brief day in the sun? So shocking...  It reminds me of when people criticize Gregg Williams for interviewing well. Yeah, he should be ripped for that. <_>

Can anyone clarify the exact day Vesey reaches Free Agency? Obviously the August 15 day is the one most quoted, but I've read that s team retains a player's rights through August 15. Meaning he would be a UFA on August 16.

It would be interesting to note if the people who have a bug up their ass about this are the same ones that complain sports figures aren't honest or answer in cliches...

A guy from Harvard has put together some sort of merit function/wish list to help him decide where he would like to start his brief day in the sun? So shocking... It reminds me of when people criticize Gregg Williams for interviewing well. Yeah, he should be ripped for that. <_<

I'll say it again, in case I hadn't said it before: The fact that some Sabre fans have a problem with Vesey is ludacrisp; those people should fade into Bolivia.

I'm betting the whole "being guaranteed a top 6 spot with ample power play time" thing came directly from WGR. In fact, I can hear Andrew Peters saying those exact words in my head. 

I'm pretty certain Vesey never did and never will "demand" a Top 6 spot as a requirement for him to sign somewhere -- it doesn't even make sense. What's he going to do if 2 weeks into the season the coach moves him to the third line, not play?

But I do think he will be looking for teams where he has a good chance to play in the Top 6. Chances of that happening here got a little slimmer with the signing of Okposo (barring a trade), while Boston and Toronto seemingly have a spot waiting for him. It will take a pretty strong sales pitch to get him to sign, I think.

Nice post. I'm sure Pi2000 disagrees with you. I will say that in this case though I'm not sure the slam against GR is warranted this time. Despite the fact that I believe WGR has had about the worst two weeks ever of reporting facts. Well not reporting because it is guys opinions. But the fact the is opinions have been so wrong, so often over the last couple weeks is embarrassing.

To your first sentence though, and to be fair, to their credit at GR today I heard ham sammich weigh in on this top six issue. Blasting back at people who are holding the position of Vesey is demanding  a top six position, he vehemently asked from what we know of DD do you really believe he is just going to hand a position to anyone? NOOOOOO. I have to agree with him based on the room, and also what happened with Girgs. You ain't getting that spot if your play doesn't warrant it. Of course conversely we have GMTM saying there is a top six position available for him. He is a GM and recruiting this guy. Do you think he says that if for a minute he feels Vesey cant prove it on the ice? Me either.

I would think they are saying things like we believe in you but you have to show it to all the guys in the room not just us. Maybe toss in a nugget or two about how Jack came here, he wanted nothing given to him.

Not even a number. Earn it. Jack was pretty stubborn on the issue that he be given nothing because he has to earn it. I'm guessing Vesey is perfectly fine in that mindset as well and this overblown crap is more driven by certain media and Pi2000. Nothing wrong with asking a team if they can envision a top six spot for him. That's not demanding a top six. Holy crap. We'll know by Aug 20th or so. Maybe even July 10 or so.

I'll say it again, in case I hadn't said it before: The fact that some Sabre fans have a problem with Vesey is ludacrisp; those people should fade into Bolivia.

We aren't really a great representation of the Sabres fanbase as a whole.  This board is for lunatics that want to talk about hockey in the middle of July and basically every day of summer until training camp gets here.  :P

Edited by Robviously

The buzz is that Vesey is in Buffalo today. Some randoms on Twitter have said that they've seen him in and around Harborcenter. I guess the meeting must be today.

The timing doesn't match up, but the Pegula Jet flew to Worchester just outside of Boston on July 3rd, was on the ground for about 20 minutes and flew back to Buffalo. It's probably nothing as I doubt Vesey would still be in Buffalo this long. 

Especially since this was tweeted 

Mark Divver

Senior VP/GM Stan Bowman of #Blackhawks was in Foxboro tonight watching Jimmy Vesey in the pro league.

Edited by BRAWNDO

The timing doesn't match up, but the Pegula Jet flew to Worchester just outside of Boston on July 3rd, was on the ground for about 20 minutes and flew back to Buffalo. It's probably nothing as I doubt Vesey would still be in Buffalo this long.

Especially since this was tweeted

Mark Divver

45]

@MarkDivver

Senior VP/GM Stan Bowman of #Blackhawks was in Foxboro tonight watching Jimmy Vesey in the pro league.

They prolly picked up Vesey and flew him to BUF for the weekend. My source tells me he demanded to sit in the first six rows of the plane.

Not sure what Bowman is doing there. He can't even talk to Vesey or his coddlers, errr I mean agents.

They prolly picked up Vesey and flew him to BUF for the weekend. My source tells me he demanded to sit in the first six rows of the plane.

Not sure what Bowman is doing there. He can't even talk to Vesey or his coddlers, errr I mean agents.

His cover is that Chris Calnan, a Hawks 3rd Rounder, who is Capt at BC was playing tonight as well.

I wonder if Tim, Kim and Terry share your magnanimity.

My sources tell me they do (E3).

Anyway, we obviously have no idea. From everything GM TM has said, I have no reason to believe he's bent out of shape. As for the owners, who the hell knows -- it'd surprise me if they were in any way irked.

We aren't really a great representation of the Sabres fanbase as a whole. This board is for lunatics that want to talk about hockey in the middle of July and basically every day of summer until training camp gets here. :P

Troof.

We aren't really a great representation of the Sabres fanbase as a whole.  This board is for lunatics that want to talk about hockey in the middle of July and basically every day of summer until training camp gets here.  :P

I come here to improve my vocabulary....... 

magnanimity - the quality of being magnanimous. 

It's somewhat interesting that we haven't heard definitively when, or even if, the meeting with Vesey took place. Everyone seems rather tight lipped about it.

After the way the Babcock fiasco went with leaked security footage, this doesn't surprise me at all.

After the way the Babcock fiasco went with leaked security footage, this doesn't surprise me at all.

I sometimes wonder: Was Ted Black a source of leaks (specifically the leak that Sabres brass (just Ted Black?) were FURIOUS at Babcock)? And did loose lips give rise to his separation this time last year? (Or maybe he was just done in by Brandon.)

Today's word is smegananimous. Can you say it? Let's try...

FTFY

I sometimes wonder: Was Ted Black a source of leaks (specifically the leak that Sabres brass (just Ted Black?) were FURIOUS at Babcock)? And did loose lips give rise to his separation this time last year? (Or maybe he was just done in by Brandon.)

FTFY

I have Google behind me. And beside me. And in the wall behind my shower stall. And in the little camera down in the toilet.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.