Steven Stamkos stays in Tampa Bay, 8.5mil x 8yrs

LGR4GM

Stamkos' show me the money poll  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How much $$$$$ will Stamkos get per year?

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more
  2. 2. How much $$$$$ would YOU pay Stamkos per year? It is safe to assume he gets max deal of 7 years.

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more

Give me Vesey and Fowler and I'll forget about Stamkos. I really think Buffalo needs to land another top 4 Dman somehow

Agreed, but if you can sign Stamkos you add 40 goals a season, you just do it.

Also don't think GMTM is willing to pay 12 mill a year to Stamkos.

I think we  have all come at a point where we say, If he signs great (added bonus to see Toronto go apeshit) , If he doesn't (move on other options out there to improve).

Edited by Huckleberry

Sure this season we can afford it.  But as you say, we're not even contending for the cup this coming season.

In two years we will be and ROR, Stamkos, Eichel and Reinhart will be making approximately:

ROR - $7

Stamkos -$12

Eichel - $7?

Reinhart - $6?

That's $32 mil in 4 players.  Maybe the cap is $78 mil in 2 years?  That's 41% of your cap on 4 guys.  To me that's too high of a percentage.

Maybe I'm crazy, but 41% on four guys doesn't sound too bad to me when it's those four guys.

Chicago is around 46% on their top 4 guys. Fun Fact: last year after bonuses they came in at around $83,000 under the cap.

Chicago is around 46% on their top 4 guys. Fun Fact: last year after bonuses they came in at around $83,000 under the cap.

Yes they are.  But I would prefer atleast one of my top 4 paid guys to be a defenseman.  If you bridge Risto then I'm anticipating his next deal to come in closer to a $7.5 cap hit if all goes according to plan.  If it doesn't, then we're screwed on D with limited financial (see cap) resources to fix it.

So now we're talking over 50% of the cap on 5 guys.  To me that makes your margin for error razor thin.  Sure the remaining guys could average $2.7 mil and probably be ok with that core.  But one wrong signing like Molson and you really really feel the implications.

Edited by Derrico

Sure this season we can afford it.  But as you say, we're not even contending for the cup this coming season.

In two years we will be and ROR, Stamkos, Eichel and Reinhart will be making approximately:

ROR - $7

Stamkos -$12

Eichel - $7?

Reinhart - $6?

That's $32 mil in 4 players.  Maybe the cap is $78 mil in 2 years?  That's 41% of your cap on 4 guys.  To me that's too high of a percentage.

forgot Rasmussen

But having 4 players who score well over 40% of the points you put on the board well that sounds aboot right in regards to salary cap allocations

I trust Murray and his team to have foresight to know what this does in future years and already have a plan in place

That would circumvent the whole point of the salary cap. Teams from Big markets would have an advantage and salary cap is now useless again.

I don't believe that any team can do that.

Yeah, just doesn't sound right to me. Why bother with a salary cap in the first place if its so easy to circumvent it?

Pittsburgh is also over 40% with 4 guys

Again, one of those guys is a D man.   I'm not saying it can't be done.  I'm saying it's very risky period.  Riskier giving it to 4 forwards knowing you have a stud Dman you will probably have to pay sooner then later or a stud guy you will need to bring in if he doesn't pan out. 

No to mention your drafting has to be absolutely supreme to continue rotating in guys on ELC who can give you some production.  There's a reason Tampa is in a difficult spot right now.  They have too many guys coming off ELC who need to get paid.  That will happen to us.

Come on. Everyone knew the Sabres weren't getting McDavid or Babcock and everyone knows we aren't getting Stamkos. It's just reality. We have to live in the real world. Eichel, Canalside and Pegulaville aside, it's a generally crummy team, franchise, market and city. That's pretty tough to overcome in the recruiting department.

Buffalo's got the spirit, talkin proud, talkin proud.

Come on. Everyone knew the Sabres weren't getting McDavid or Babcock and everyone knows we aren't getting Stamkos. It's just reality. We have to live in the real world. Eichel, Canalside and Pegulaville aside, it's a generally crummy team, franchise, market and city. That's pretty tough to overcome in the recruiting department.

Admit it; your real problem with megathreads is that you want more punchbowls to piss in.

Does anyone really think signing Stamkos will do anything for league-wide perception? I can easily see the narrative simply being "Oh well he only went there because they grossly overpaid. They were still last on his list but the money gave him no choice."

One thing and one thing only will change this: winning, preferably for a long stretch.

So many people are already discounting our ability to get Stamkos (and they may be right) even though the common perception is we are willing to back up the money trucks. So to those people, they think Buffalo just isn't a destination he could choose, regardless of the money. So if he were to choose us, I think it would do a fair bit for league wide perception. 

Give me Vesey and Fowler and I'll forget about Stamkos. I really think Buffalo needs to land another top 4 Dman somehow

If we don't get Stamkos, Vesey is a must.

Again, one of those guys is a D man.   I'm not saying it can't be done.  I'm saying it's very risky period.  Riskier giving it to 4 forwards knowing you have a stud Dman you will probably have to pay sooner then later or a stud guy you will need to bring in if he doesn't pan out. 

No to mention your drafting has to be absolutely supreme to continue rotating in guys on ELC who can give you some production.  There's a reason Tampa is in a difficult spot right now.  They have too many guys coming off ELC who need to get paid.  That will happen to us.

The optimistic outlook is that, with 4 stud forwards like Stamkos, Eichel, Reinhart and O'Reilly, we are going to be a very strong offensive team, and the lower tier guys we have playing with them will benefit greatly from playing with them. Therefore, when these second tier players' contracts are soon to be up, and they are demanding higher contracts than we can't afford, we will be able to trade them for good returns which allow us to restock on extra picks and prospects. These extra picks help facilitate the process of the rotational ELC guys you speak of, as we have a better chance of hitting, the more picks we have. The hardest part of the equation is getting the 4 stud forwards, their great play funnels the added benefits to the rest of the equation. 

Buffalo's got the spirit, talkin proud, talkin proud.

Admit it; your real problem with megathreads is that you want more punchbowls to piss in.

Naaah, more like he needs more piss or the prostrate got to big for him to piss anyway, probably needs a foley catheter...

The second Detroit should have been TB. Of course, Mirtle points out in the article that TB can't really afford him without making cuts elsewhere, but still. Better odds than Buffalo. Because of reasons.

I honestly see no way he stays in Tampa, but then again I'm JAG on a message board...

I agree with everything you've posted and I can't understand any of it.

ROTFLMAO

how does one become a complete buttwipe like this. DO you practice or does it come naturally

The Hockey Press

@TheHockeyPress

#NHL RUMORS:

• Per Bob McKenzie the Buffalo Sabres are willing offer the most expensive contract to Steven Stamkos.

Well, I'm glad to hear that.    He's worth every penny.     Does he take the bait?

Well, I'm glad to hear that.    He's worth every penny.     Does he take the bait?

He's worth it today but will he be worth it in 4 years, 5 years, 6 years, 7 years?

The Hockey Press

@TheHockeyPress

#NHL RUMORS:

• Per Bob McKenzie the Buffalo Sabres are willing offer the most expensive contract to Steven Stamkos.

I just checked Bob McKenzie's twitter. I can't find this so I am calling until I do.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.