Steven Stamkos stays in Tampa Bay, 8.5mil x 8yrs

LGR4GM

Stamkos' show me the money poll  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How much $$$$$ will Stamkos get per year?

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more
  2. 2. How much $$$$$ would YOU pay Stamkos per year? It is safe to assume he gets max deal of 7 years.

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more

Nah. Continue to focus on the defense, save thay cap space for next year. UFAs will come when the team starts to win some games.

I think Murray may be so confident in Kulikov that he's done on D, at least for this season. He likes his top pair, and with growth from McCabe, he'll like his second pair too. 

For forwards, I think we need Vesey, or he'll want to add. 

Some food for thought.. $8.5M isn't crippling by any means, but now TB might have some very good players that price their way out of town in the next few years. Maybe we struck out on Stamkos (well, didn't really step to bat), but perhaps we can reap future benefits when others hit the market, like some combination of the Triplets. Especially after they extend Hedman next year...

Some food for thought.. $8.5M isn't crippling by any means, but now TB might have some very good players that price their way out of town in the next few years. Maybe we struck out on Stamkos (well, didn't really step to bat), but perhaps we can reap future benefits when others hit the market, like some combination of the Triplets. Especially after they extend Hedman next year...

They'll be shipping Bishop out. At least they hope to. No plans to re-sign him. They should have enough cap space to keep things how they want them. 

Wonder who is more disappointed. Detroit or Toronto fans? I know I am as a Sabre fan. But when the Wings were able to get rid of Pavel's contract it got many in Detroit excited w/ the possibility of bringing in Stamkos. And well, Toronto is his home town and there is a lot to look forward to. Quite sure they're fans are very disappointed as well. The Leafs were THE team I did not want Stamkos to go to. 

I'm still okay with this. I would've loved to have him but this is a fine outcome. All other main options were within our division anyways. The only real negative is that it's on a huge discount.

Let's call on/offer sheet Kucherov.

Stamkos tweeted to make it official , btw.

Edited by Hoss

I'm glad that he stayed in Tampa Bay.  It allows the Sabres to grow their players their way.  Stamkos would have been an amazing fit on any new team, but he probably just saw nothing to grant him the desire to leave a team set for the playoffs for at least next season (in general).  This hamstrings Detroit the most. 

I'm glad that he stayed in Tampa Bay.  It allows the Sabres to grow their players their way.  Stamkos would have been an amazing fit on any new team, but he probably just saw nothing to grant him the desire to leave a team set for the playoffs for at least next season (in general).  This hamstrings Detroit the most. 

In general their fans are the most disappointed. And understandably so. 

Also, to those who said I was nuts for thinking Stamkos would be lucky to get $10 million per

He would have anywhere else. It honestly makes me like the guy, that he chose less money and maybe the wing to win and stay with his team

And then, depression set in.

No way Jose. It's celebration time!

I'm so happy this whole thing is over, I had grown awful tired of it. I'm euphoric he didn't go to Toronto. Great deal for Tampa--$8.5M is probably ~$1M under actual value and likely $2M+ under UFA market value.

Any chance we can try to pry loose a Killorn type now?

Props to TB, they really stole this deal. He's worth $8.5-10, and they nailed it. Stevey Y should get GM of the year right now

I am disappointed he didn't land here.

I am equally happy he didn't land anywhere else in the division.

If you take the 8th year and spread it over seven seasons, that's $9.7M per season.  I think he would've been paid considerably more than that by just about any interested free agent club.

In other news, I'm not exactly thrilled by the arrival of Weber in the NE.  But I'll live.

I bet Toronto's are too, even if they aren't letting on. It seemed likely he was going there.

That is a good point. I also thought that's where he'd end up. Stamkos must not want to go through the early years of a young team. And I respect that. Just seemed like it was a definite he was not staying w/ Tampa. Bishop can say bye bye to the Lightning.

I was pretty bummed to hear this. But he didn't go to Toronto. We have lots of cap space, that leaves me hopeful for really fixing the defense over the next season or two. All the room in the world, time for Sam and Jack and Risto to keep developing, some Nylanders and Guhles and hopefully Veseys who will be stepping into their Saad-type roles as we're ready to contend. 

I'm happy overall that he stayed in Tampa.  He could have gone somewhere else in our division and made our lives hell.  Or we could have given him $12M per season and then lost some other guys from our core later when we were against the cap.  I also like the idea of star players that spend their whole career with one team, and hopefully that can be Stamkos now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.