GDT: Buffalo @ Toronto, 7:30 pm ET, 3/7/2016

Doohickie

It's been a while since I did a GDT. 

Ah, Toronto.  My team when I was just a wee boy and the only way to see hockey was to aim the TV antenna across to the other side of Lake Ontario, and the picture was so snowy you had to watch what the players were doing to figure out where the puck was.

But it's a new day.  Buffalo has an NHL team.  The Sabres are on their way back up, Toronto is too I think, but maybe a bit behind us.

It should be a good game, mostly because regardless of whether the teams are any good and who's playing on them, these teams hate each other, in the "familiarity breeds contempt" sense of the word.

Look for lines similar what we've been seeing out of the Sabres...

Screenshot%2017.pngScreenshot%2018.png

Season series: The Buffalo Sabres defeated the Toronto Maple Leafs 2-1 in a shootout at First Niagara Center on Oct. 21. Sabres forward Evander Kane scored the game-tying goal with 4:21 remaining in the third period and Matt Moulson scored the shootout winner. Toronto goalie Jonathan Bernier made 34 saves and P.A. Parenteau scored for the Maple Leafs.

It looks like a battle of the backups with The Big Johnson and Garret Sparks in goal.

The Sabres have been playing decent teams well (even if they lose) and having their way with lesser teams.  I see the Sabres making the Leafs look like the Laffs we like to make fun of.

image.jpg

Ah, Toronto.  My team when I was just a wee boy and the only way to see hockey was to aim the TV antenna across to the other side of Lake Ontario, and the picture was so snowy you had to watch what the players were doing to figure out where the puck was.

But it's a new day.  Buffalo has an NHL team.  The Sabres are on their way back up, Toronto is too I think, but maybe a bit behind us.

Wow you just brought back some memories of the Buffalo Bisons and if I remember right I was still in Grammar School when I saw my first live NHL playoff game on tv and if I'm not mistaken Bill Mazer who was a Buffalo radio and tv sportscaster at the time did the game. I don't think we had a color tv as of yet also, so imagine that. In fact that game is probably close to its 50 years anniversary!!!!!!!

Did WildCard finally get a girlfriend??? Is that why he hasn't done the past couple of GDTs???

Edited by jsb

My earliest memory of hockey on TV was when CBS carried games on Sunday afternoons. Only showed Original 6 teams. None of the expansion ones.

It should be a good game, mostly because regardless of whether the teams are any good and who's playing on them, these teams hate each other, in the "familiarity breeds contempt" sense of the word.

I'd be very surprised if there's any hatred among the players. That's a quaint notion. It's kind of an artificial "rivalry" based on the close proximity of the teams. About all there is to it is Leafs fans coming to Buffalo and chanting, and Buffalo fans booing and sometimes chanting. Islanders-Rangers, Avalanche-Wings, this ain't.

Edited by PASabreFan

I'd be very surprised if there's any hatred among the players. That's a quaint notion. It's kind of an artificial "rivalry" based on the close proximity of the teams. About all there is to it is Leafs fans coming to Buffalo and chanting, and Buffalo fans booing and sometimes chanting. Islanders-Rangers, Avalanche-Wings, this ain't.

I think there's something to be said for the resentment some of the kids might have. The Marlies/Amerks rivalry is pretty strong. I suspect guys like Larsson, Pysyk, and Foligno might not have too nice feelings for guys like Kadri and Gardiner. 

I don't even think Avalanche-Wings is a thing anymore.

Boston-Montreal, Toronto-Montreal, anyone-Philly, those are the hot ones these days.

I kind of miss the Sabres-Sens thing.

Boston-Montreal, Toronto-Montreal, anyone-Philly, those are the hot ones these days.

That's what happens in a league of parody, rivalries die

I'm really hoping both our teams get good again at the same time. That rivalry has rustled my jimmies since the days of Ron Tugnutt. 

That's what happens in a league of parody, rivalries die

I'm barely old enough to remember it, but the Sabres had quite the thing going with the Nordiques back in the day.  I think Michel Bergeron was lucky to make it out of town once or twice.

And I'm leaving "league of parody" alone, because it is the NHL after all.

I'm barely old enough to remember it, but the Sabres had quite the thing going with the Nordiques back in the day.  I think Michel Bergeron was lucky to make it out of town once or twice.

And Habs-Nordiques was one of the best rivalries of all.

One of the first time sports ever inspired a feeling of hate in me was when Dale Hunter (then of the Nordiques) removed the top bridge of Mike Ramsey's mouth (and maybe more) with a vicious (and very dirty) slash to the chops.

There's a YouTube video out there from the Sabres-Nordiques playoffs in 1985 when Lorentz tells Kilgore in the pre-game that, per Don Luce, Halkidis (who'd just been called up from the London Knights) was a Paul Coffey type player.  :blink:

And I'm leaving "league of parody" alone, because it is the NHL after all.

:w00t:

Yup I remember those games against Quebec.  Man they were intense and they ramped it up in the playoffs.

ANDRE SAVARD!!  ANDRE SAVARD!! (scoring in OT for the Sabres in '81 (I think))

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.