GDT: Buffalo @ Toronto, 7:30 pm ET, 3/7/2016

Doohickie

I wonder where JVR and Bozak are. That Leafs lineup may be worse than ours last year.

If we lose this it'll be embarrassing. I don't think we will.

I think they are both shut down for the year in a blatant tank move ...  :flirt:

I only recognize a few of the Leaves now.

I'm barely old enough to remember it, but the Sabres had quite the thing going with the Nordiques back in the day.  I think Michel Bergeron was lucky to make it out of town once or twice.

And I'm leaving "league of parody" alone, because it is the NHL after all.

Rick once said: "Bergeron, you're gonna get yours, baby. And it might come from Rick Dudley at any given moment." I think it's on one of the two RJ highlight CDs they put out.

I don't even think Avalanche-Wings is a thing anymore.

Boston-Montreal, Toronto-Montreal, anyone-Philly, those are the hot ones these days.

I kind of miss the Sabres-Sens thing.

Sabres-Hurricanes could have been a good one. I've always wondered by Sabres-Islanders wasn't a hotter matchup.

:w00t:

Yup I remember those games against Quebec.  Man they were intense and they ramped it up in the playoffs.

ANDRE SAVARD!!  ANDRE SAVARD!! (scoring in OT for the Sabres in '81 (I think))

I suspect you're thinking of Alan Haworth. Against Vancouver at home.

I hope parody was intention.  May be more accurate than parity.

I don't think the reason is either of those things. We don't have any rivalries because we have sucked for too long for anyone else to care about us.

Kings/Ducks is a great current rivalry

I don't think the reason is either of those things. We don't have any rivalries because we have sucked for too long for anyone else to care about us.

I agree.  Periods of suckage do ruin rivalries.  

I agree.  Periods of suckage do ruin rivalries.  

It's probably worth considering this isn't all on us--several potential rivals have also been irrelevant for a long stretch here.

I don't think a winning/losing record has anything to do with a rivalry.  Two perennial losing teams can have a great rivalry if they A) are located in close proximity B) historical bad blood C) trade wins/loses irrespective of standing D) stole our coach E) have passionate fans who come to other teams barn and raise hell.

It's probably worth considering this isn't all on us--several potential rivals have also been irrelevant for a long stretch here.

I wasn't putting it just on us.  One reason Col-Det isn't a deal anymore is because Col is no longer fighting them for conference mastery.

IMO there are 3 things that have led to the downfall of most of the better rivalries, 1. periods of suckitude by one team, B.  movement away from divisional weighted schedules, and III. changing of playoff formats and conference makeup that separated teams that developed familiarity based contempt.

Exactly. The Bills gave been the Patriots diaper for the last decade but every Bills fan I know minus Sal Cappacio considers them out biggest rival.

Might not be a rivalry by some people's definition but I absolutely hate and get amped up for games vs the Queefs, Halves and Chowdaheads no matter the record or circumstance. em, em all.

the queefs, Let's Go Boys!!!! Smash some ahler back to the echl tonight.

Exactly. The Bills gave been the Patriots diaper for the last decade but every Bills fan I know minus Sal Cappacio considers them out biggest rival.

the *cheats, jests, and fish. em all!

I wasn't putting it just on us.  One reason Col-Det isn't a deal anymore is because Col is no longer fighting them for conference mastery.

IMO there are 3 things that have led to the downfall of most of the better rivalries, 1. periods of suckitude by one team, B.  movement away from divisional weighted schedules, and III. changing of playoff formats and conference makeup that separated teams that developed familiarity based contempt.

Agreed on all counts. Only exception I can think of is Sabres-Leafs, which feels like a rivalry when you're in the arena, even though both teams have been...less than good, for awhile now.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Agreed on all counts. Only exception I can think of is Sabres-Leafs, which feels like a rivalry when you're in the arena, even though both teams have been...less than good, for awhile now.

DD should fight Babsy, channel the rivalry of old, it would be an endearing gesture at any rate. 

As I think more about what helps a good rivalry, the current NHL scheduling and lack of division play hurts teams rivalry more than winning/losing record IMO.  Of course heated playoff match-ups help (i.e. winning records) but the infrequent games with division opponents hurts the most. 

Kane will get something done.  Maybe he will go three rounds with a Leaf.

I think it's amazing we've only played Toronto once in the playoffs in the history of our existence (during the '99 cup run).

As a mostly life-long 30 year old fan, I consider the Sabres biggest rivals to be the Bruins, Phylers & Senators. Not that I don't consider the Leafs a rival, it's been drilled in my head that way since forever and there is a heightened atmosphere at those games, no denying that, I'm just shocked there's not much playoff blood to back that up.

Well this will have a different feel to it. We won't know anyone on the team so who are we supposed to hate? Kadri?

Quick name four guys from the Leafs. I stopped at four and of them is Nylander who's just getting started.

Well this will have a different feel to it. We won't know anyone on the team so who are we supposed to hate? Kadri?

Quick name four guys from the Leafs. I stopped at four and of them is Nylander who's just getting started.

The only guys I can name off the top of my head that haven't been shut down for the season are Kadri and Komarov, and that's only because I have them on my fantasy team.

When I really think about it I can remember Rielly, Bernier, and Parenteau, but really, there's no reason to even think about it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.