Evander Kane suspended for missing practice

Hoss

Kane has all the tools necessary to be an Elite player. The fact that he isn't Elite yet, at his age is a red flag. He said he can take hockey more seriously. yeah, that sounds about right. I'd like to see him work half as hard as he does on the ice, off it.

Everyone here is so quick to defend him. I mean look at his tracksuit record. The last 2 season he publicly stated he'd score 50 goals. I mean it's pretty obvious he thinks he's already Gods gift to hockey so why work at it?

Its all good and fine to go out and have a good time, Take it from me, 50 goal scorers don't just have skill. they put in countless hours of work. not just team practices, they have the skill and the work ethic/heart/drive; whatever you want to call it, it's what kind of player wins you championships.

My bottom line is, hes a damn good player, but that's not enough. Yeah, your welcome to spend all your free time having fun of you want. but when your firing it high and wide everytime your on the ice. they're most certainly isn't room for you in the core of my team. regardless how much skill you have.

Kane has all the tools necessary to be an Elite player. The fact that he isn't Elite yet, at his age is a red flag. He said he can take hockey more seriously. yeah, that sounds about right. I'd like to see him work half as hard as he does on the ice, off it.

Everyone here is so quick to defend him. I mean look at his tracksuit record. The last 2 season he publicly stated he'd score 50 goals. I mean it's pretty obvious he thinks he's already Gods gift to hockey so why work at it?

Its all good and fine to go out and have a good time, Take it from me, 50 goal scorers don't just have skill. they put in countless hours of work. not just team practices, they have the skill and the work ethic/heart/drive; whatever you want to call it, it's what kind of player wins you championships.

My bottom line is, hes a damn good player, but that's not enough. Yeah, your welcome to spend all your free time having fun of you want. but when your firing it high and wide everytime your on the ice. they're most certainly isn't room for you in the core of my team. regardless how much skill you have.

My bottom line is, hes a damn good player, but that's not enough.

Meh. It's enough for me.  I don't expect every player to be ROR or Samson Reinhart.  Some players will specialize and play different styles.  I think Kane brings everything I expected and more.  I think coming off an injury, and the team learning the system and lack of chemistry, hurt his scoring early on, but he's been scoring at a pretty good rate lately and I think a lot of the ills this team faced early on have been greatly improved. 

He's got a North-South style that injects energy into the team and creates space by backing the defense off.  He also is more than accountable on the backcheck; he uses his speed to disrupt opponents' offensive rushes, often before they even get to the Sabres zone.  He also brings a heavy game; he's not afraid of the big check or of dropping the gloves. 

He's part of the emerging personality of this team.  They were so.... befuddled early on, but there clearly is a collective personality behind this team that Kane has helped to shape.  I wouldn't want a team full of Kanes, but having him on the team, just the way he is, is fine by me.

Eichel does this a lot too, is there no room for him either?

Eichel does this a lot too, is there no room for him either?

Of course not.  :angel:

What's the alternative?  Oh, shoot like Foligno:  Into the crest on the goalie's chest every time. 

Then again, in the All Star Game and in Sabres Showdown, when they did the accuracy shooting at the targets at each corner, you saw how even the league's best had trouble hitting those targets.  At the speed the NHL is played, you're not going to routinely hit the target (the part of the goal where the goalie ain't).  So take a lot of shots.

Well, he is 3rd in the entire league in shots/game so he must be doing something right.

How do you get to be 9th in the league in total shots, despite missing 10 games, if he's always missing the net?

Well, he is 3rd in the entire league in shots/game so he must be doing something right.

How do you get to be 9th in the league in total shots, despite missing 10 games, if he's always missing the net?

See, your problem is that you forgot to take into account TMF when creating your advanced statistic.

TMF = Troll Modification Factor.

The Troll Modification Factor is a percentage modifier to a real world statistic.  It is calculated by dividing the troll capacity by the troll's perceived value in the world and subtracting it from 1.  The modification factor is then multiplied by the real statistic to produce the desired fancy stat.

Example:

Evander Kane Shots = 197

Evander Kane games played = 47

Troll Capacity = 98%

Troll Perceived Value = 1 (it's always 1 as trolls believe they are the best)

1 - (.98/1) = .02

Kane S/G = 4.2

TMF S/G = .084

Therefore, he always misses the net.

Edited by LTS

See, your problem is that you forgot to take into account TMF when creating your advanced statistic.

TMF = Troll Modification Factor.

The Troll Modification Factor is a percentage modifier to a real world statistic.  It is calculated by dividing the troll capacity by the troll's perceived value in the world and subtracting it from 1.  The modification factor is then multiplied by the real statistic to produce the desired fancy stat.

Example:

Evander Kane Shots = 197

Evander Kane games played = 47

Troll Capacity = 98%

Troll Perceived Value = 1 (it's always 1 as trolls believe they are the best)

1 - (.98/1) = .02

Kane S/G = 4.2

TMF S/G = .084

Therefore, he always misses the net.

:worthy: Wow, that is awesome, this may be SaberSpaces equivalent of Einsteins theory of relativity. Thanks :worthy:

apparently he didn't bring enough 8-balls to the all-star game Sunday and overslept.   

they need to cut back on the number of practices and back-to-backs so these guys can clean up their noses.

So, Kane missed practice because he didn't have enough cocaine with him in Toronto?

Good to know.

What is the general take on Kane's media scrum?

I thought he appeared contrite compared with other clips I've seen with him responding to extra-curricular issues, where he came across as more condescending.

He did seem contrite.

On the topic of reporters having an agenda. Hamilton wrote this on the radio station's website:

I also wondered if Gionta was concerned with Kane moving forward. He took a big sigh, hesitated and said, “It’s obviously something that’s happened, but we’re going to support him in trying to rectify the problem.”

That "big sigh" occurs at the ~1:50 mark of this video:

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/brian-gionta-pregame-21616/t-277443402/c-41422303

C'mon, Hamilton. That's no sigh (big or otherwise). That's a captain pausing to think and choosing his words carefully in a delicate situation.

Edited by That Aud Smell

He did seem contrite.

On the topic of reporters having an agenda. Hamilton wrote this on the radio station's website:

I also wondered if Gionta was concerned with Kane moving forward. He took a big sigh, hesitated and said, “It’s obviously something that’s happened, but we’re going to support him in trying to rectify the problem.”

That "big sigh" occurs at the ~1:50 mark of this video:

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/brian-gionta-pregame-21616/t-277443402/c-41422303

C'mon, Hamilton. That's no sigh (big or otherwise). That's a captain pausing to think and choosing his words carefully in a delicate situation.

And this, in a nutshell, is why you can't believe everything you read.  That "big sigh" is an exaggeration so wild as to border on being a lie.

And this, in a nutshell, is why you can't believe everything you read.  That "big sigh" is an exaggeration so wild as to border on being a lie.

it really, really (did i say "really?") has coloured my opinion of hamilton's objectivity, reliability.

my take: hamilton has his biases, he isn't much interested in managing them, and he instead carries about his business informed and guided by them.

I get the sense that he's a decent guy. My best understanding is that these reporters are urged to take these kinds of angles in order to stir interest, intrigue.

I get that it's their job to do that, but he just seems to relish being a jackass way too much, IMO, for it to be just part of the job.

There are many others who do the same thing, but I get a different feeling from them. Maybe it's just me.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

it really, really (did i say "really?") has coloured my opinion of hamilton's objectivity, reliability.

my take: hamilton has his biases, he isn't much interested in managing them, and he instead carries about his business informed and guided by them.

What took you so long? Hamilton has been doing this sort of thing for ages.

This isn't for you, NS. But can we ban the word troll here? Please? It's so moronic. Now NHLBUFF is a troll? I thought it was a good post. And Hoss is a troll who is "baiting" for "clicks." Of course I'm Troll Daddy, at least the site owner and master-baiter thinks so.

You agree with someone: "This." You disagree: Troll!

Please stop. It adds nothing to the forum.

Edited by PASabreFan

To me he looks like a dude with money who likes to lift weights and is likely a bit vain. I didn't see anything suggesting drug use.

What did you see, specifically?

I know about a dozen people here in southern california that look like that guy and they're all cocaine abusers.    I play hockey with one of them and he's always pushing it on us and tells us stories about parties w/ Ducks/Kings players he knows well, stories backed up by another guy that works for the Ducks... I could name names, I won't, but players you wouldn't suspect are ravaging users.     It's not just the big time stars with money to burn, it's the guys bouncing up and down from the "A" as well.   

Do I know for a fact this esilver guy does coke?   No.   But I wasn't born yesterday either.

Edited by pi2000

I know about 37 people here in southern california that look like that guy and they're all cocaine abusers. I play hockey with one of them and he's always pushing it on us.

Do I know for a fact this guy does coke? No. But I wasn't born yesterday either.

You've previously claimed you "confirmed" Kane (and others) used cocaine. Now you're backing off. He "looks" like a dude you know who uses coke so he obviously does.

Garbage.

Edited by Hoss

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.