Buffalo Bills 2016

That Aud Smell

I really don't understand "moving on" from Tyrod. What are we moving on to?

Just live with his contract for a few years until you have something better.

I'll third or fourth this. I'm mystified by what Whaley is planning to do, at this point.

I agree, Whaley has to feel pretty confident about it however because a step back next season could be his job. 

This must be the case.

Maybe his plan is to see what he can shake loose in the coming weeks, and, if nothing turns up, pick up the option as the last resort?

I really don't understand "moving on" from Tyrod. What are we moving on to?

Just live with his contract for a few years until you have something better.

Agreed.

As the board's resident Tyrod basher, this is totally correct.

I'll third or fourth this. I'm mystified by what Whaley is planning to do, at this point.

Fifthed.

So basically, if Whaley can't come up with a replacement for Tyrod, and also fails to pick him up, then he should be fired.

I was a mild supporter of Whaley until the most recent presser. He should just be fired regardless. I don't know what the Pegulas are doing anymore.

They totally screwed the pooch with his contract and now they're gonna pay for it for the next few years, or at least next year anyways.

Even if they aren't paying him and he's not on the team?

Keep Tyrod around until you have something better (draft a QB or two this year, for example). We don't turn the ball over and we score points. If we had a strong defense, this may have been a playoff team. Every ###### year we start over with a new coach, new system, new QB...

Oh, and fire Teflon Whaley. He is the Bills' version of Darcy.

I was a mild supporter of Whaley until the most recent presser. He should just be fired regardless. I don't know what the Pegulas are doing anymore.

Even if they aren't paying him and he's not on the team?

If they can't find a better option, then yes. If they gave him a cheaper contract they could use him for the next year or two until they draft or bring in a better option. I'm not sure what their plans are, but I don't see any better options out there as of today. I thought I read somewhere that Overdorf drew up the contract and it was a disaster. That could've been written by a regular Joe Schmoe, I can't remember where I saw it.

I have never thought Tyrod Taylor was great.  I thought of him as another stop-gap measure because Nix/Whaley messed up drafting Manuel, and it was frustrating to see another interim QB brought onboard.  

That being said, he's clearly proven a bit better than the hot messes we've had in the pocket in the past decade.  He's not outstanding, but he's serviceable.  

Unless there's someone better in the wings to replace Taylor, keep him for now.  Fix the defense which the Ryan Brothers wrecked.  I believe if the Bills still had the 2014 Defense, and smarter coaching/time management/fewer penalties, combined with the current offense,  they very likely would have made the playoffs this season;  maybe even made it beyond wild card?  

If the rumors are true, and Whaley thinks the first priority is to move beyond Tyrod Taylor, that's more evidence of his incompetency as if the presser debacle wasn't enough.  

I think Whaley's calculus is relatively straightforward: he doesn't think Tyrod is very good, and he definitely thinks he can get similar level of play (and more upside) for less money. He probably doesn't think Tyrod has the passing ability to play in a more pass-heavy offense, and thinks QBs in a run-controlled system are interchangeable enough to not give the extension. In other words, in his mind, there's very little risk: Tyrod would fail in a pass-happy offense anyway, and if they continue their current offensive approach, he doesn't add much value there either. I think he's wrong on the second half of that, but I don't think it's an insane perspective.

In any event, if we're sitting here two years from now and the QB play is worse than what Tyrod provided, I fully expect Whaley to get canned.

Do you think it will take two years?

I certainly think it will take more than one. I just can't see Whaley, a new coach, and a new QB being summarily dismissed after a single season of being together. I suppose the firings could happen gradually, but I'd be surprised if Whaley is entrusted to set the new course of the franchise and fired after only one year, unless it's something disastrous like a 1-15 season.

I would think 3 or 4 games with an EJ Manuel-like QB in the pocket next fall would be enough to oust Whaley, despite having Pegula's 'full confidence' or whatever disingenuous drivel/double-talk Pegula was spouting.

But then... if that happens - yet another wasted season or two while waiting for the new GM to put his stamp on the team. 

Edited by Jsixspd

All depends on who the next coach is. They may be looking for a new GM and a coach again in two years. Hard to gauge anything with such dysfunction.

But....if the Bills somehow catch lightning in a bottle and hit a HR with the next QB, that changes everything. An above average QB fixes a lot of problems.

Edited by Claude Balls

I certainly think it will take more than one. I just can't see Whaley, a new coach, and a new QB being summarily dismissed after a single season of being together. I suppose the firings could happen gradually, but I'd be surprised if Whaley is entrusted to set the new course of the franchise and fired after only one year, unless it's something disastrous like a 1-15 season.

Ugh - this sounds too plausible.  A new coach and QB might indeed be job security for Whaley for at least one or two years.   What a mess.  LOL

I think Whaley's calculus is relatively straightforward: he doesn't think Tyrod is very good, and he definitely thinks he can get similar level of play (and more upside) for less money. He probably doesn't think Tyrod has the passing ability to play in a more pass-heavy offense, and thinks QBs in a run-controlled system are interchangeable enough to not give the extension. In other words, in his mind, there's very little risk: Tyrod would fail in a pass-happy offense anyway, and if they continue their current offensive approach, he doesn't add much value there either. I think he's wrong on the second half of that, but I don't think it's an insane perspective.

In any event, if we're sitting here two years from now and the QB play is worse than what Tyrod provided, I fully expect Whaley to get canned.

I wouldn't let Whaley make it to training camp if that's his logic.

Ugh - this sounds too plausible.  A new coach and QB might indeed be job security for Whaley for at least one or two years.   What a mess.  LOL

I don't think that situation is a mess at all. In fact, the alternative (a quick firing) is much more of a mess in my view. Now, giving Whaley several more years to direct the team might ultimately be the wrong choice, but it's organized and logical. Letting him set the course then ousting him in short order, on the other hand, would be the epitome of dysfunction.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

The Pegula's need to clean house and it's start's with Whaley

You build your team around offensive line, QB and defensive line not Wide Receiver's and Cornerback's

Not that it matters, but there are 5 incorrect apostrophes in this post.

However, the substance is spot on.

I can, and I think it is why he is going to have a very hard time finding someone willing to take the job. 

If Taylor is let go & next year turns into a tire fire, I'd expect him gone at the end of the year. If Taylor is back (assuming they're "grooming" either Jones or a rookie to take over for him, if Taylor is the ONLY QB worth a darn on the roster then I might want to revise the prediction, but), I'd expect Whaley is back for at least 2 more years.

This team right now is Wayne Fontes' Lions - hopelessly mediocre. But w/ some reasonable health & someone running the D that realizes Whaley's brought in the talent for a 4-3 rather than a 3-4, & even w/ Taylor this team could be 10-6 or 11-5. That would be good enough for now, 'cause if it isn't the playoff drought will be old enough to vote.

Bring back Taylor (unless the new coach has someone specific in mind & Whaley can actually bring that guy in) & look for somebody else w/ a "superbowl ceiling." W/ competence around him Taylor is good enough to get to the playoffs & won't bring in unwatchable football (which is what most of the unknowns bring at present).

I've only actively rooted against the Bills once in my life (the season they sent Flutie packing to San Diego in favor of Rob Johnson). If the Bills send Taylor packing without a legitimate upgrade I will be forced to actively root against them again. On the plus side it would also mean I'd be able to use my annual threatening to cancel my directv to get free Center Ice instead of Sunday ticket.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.