Buffalo Bills 2016

That Aud Smell

Aaron Rodgers is by far my favorite player to watch. Just incredible. Best QB in the league.

As a Packers fan, I don't mean to troll the Sabrespace Bills thread, but it's far and away the most insightful hockey board I've seen.

Anyway I have to agree on fun to watch. Remember when TVs weren't widescreen? Well, Favre would always throw the ball offscreen and then the camera would pan to either a completion or interception. Every time the camera pans with a Rodgers pass I'm calm (and only part of that is getting older). Favre was the most exciting to watch because you didn't know what would happen. (Granted, this is all with rules changes to assist QBs and offenses in almost every way)... Rodgers is a surgeon. When the camera pans I know it's good. I was shocked, absolutely shocked when he underthrew the pass to Adams for the interception. I thought he had Adams in stride for the easy touchdown. That was the first moment of doubt I had all day (not the last). But with... what, 44 seconds left? I still felt good.

Please, Pegula -- get a real football mind between you and the team. And let that person go get a quarterback to build around. It probably isn't Tyrod Taylor or you'd know by now. Start with finding your guy who can win MVP. Then go from there. I do want Sabres/Bills fans to be happy. Well, except if the Bills meet the Packers -- or if a Bills loss helps the Packers -- then the Bills can all suffer domino-ACL tears at the line of scrimmage pre-snap for all I care.

Next week will be terrifying. Atlanta's offense is always on the attack.

I don't think anyone out there knows exactly how to evaluate a QB for success at the NFL level. Sure, your Andrew Luck's pop up every decade or two but it's usually just luck no pun intended.

Rogers lasting until the 21st pick, Brady going in the 6th, Prescott in the 4th. Not only did every other team miss on those guys, the team drafting them passed them up several times.

There is no formula, there is no sure fire methodology. For everyone of the aforementioned, there are 20 guys that everyone thought would hit and now they are bagging groceries.

There is no formula, there is no sure fire methodology. For everyone of the aforementioned, there are 20 guys that everyone thought would hit and now they are bagging groceries.

Agreed. That's why you keep drafting them -- just one a year -- but you never know when you're going to get the guy. They're all good college QBs in their own way -- and somewhere along the way one go them clicks with your team/coordinator/coach/situation/strategy and you ride it. Granted, the first round guys probably have the better arms or dynamic plays... but even the mid-round guys are good.

Yep, The Bledsoe Lesson needs to be applied here

He and another coach are Asst OCs, Reid has given him his blessing to move on.

Probably because he wants to run his own offense. If memory serves, Reid calls the plays and is the real OC.

Gotcha, thanks guys. Hope Pittsburgh can win this so we can get our new coach sooner..

Aaron Rodgers is by far my favorite player to watch. Just incredible. Best QB in the league.

Tom Donahue traded the Bills 2005 1st to move back into the first round of 2004 to select JP Losman. Losman breaks his fibula in training camp and misses the entire 2004 Season on IR. The Bills pick becomes the 20th that year and the Cowboys select Marcus Spears. Green Bay selects Aaron Rodgers 24th.

This is why at times I really hate being a Bills Fan

If Belichick is willing to trade Garoppolo in the division, you should run far away from such a trade.

haha -  yup.  

Drew.   Bledsoe.  

And he was Brett Favre's backup.  One era of excellence ended, another began.    8 seasons in a row where the Pack has made the playoffs, including a Super Bowl win.

Some of these teams have all the luck (or all the skill?) in the Talent dept.    

haha - yup.

Drew. Bledsoe.

And he was Brett Favre's backup. One era of excellence ended, another began. 8 seasons in a row where the Pack has made the playoffs, including a Super Bowl win.

I saw ESPN put up a random Stat last week. It said Aaron Rogers was the first packers qb to pass for blah blah blah since Brett Favre.

Oh, really, ESPN? He's the first one since the last one? Top notch detective work, there.

But, yeah, he's good.

I don't think anyone out there knows exactly how to evaluate a QB for success at the NFL level. Sure, your Andrew Luck's pop up every decade or two but it's usually just luck no pun intended.

Rogers lasting until the 21st pick, Brady going in the 6th, Prescott in the 4th. Not only did every other team miss on those guys, the team drafting them passed them up several times.

This is exactly right. The college game is different enough from the NFL that you never know who is going to hit a wall. The NFL is more complex, every single player on D is probably as fast as the best guy you faced in college, and the opposing coach spends 60 hours that week looking for every way that you're weak, and the players are drilled until they know it too. Some guys can handle that, some have been skating along on raw talent. Some guys that didn't look that talented in college excel at the new game.

You can lament the Bills not picking Rodgers, Prescott, Brady, or whomever, but 20 teams passed on Rodgers and every single team passed on Brady and Prescott multiple times. It's 80% luck; maybe even more than that.

I saw ESPN put up a random Stat last week. It said Aaron Rogers was the first packers qb to pass for blah blah blah since Brett Favre.

Oh, really, ESPN? He's the first one since the last one? Top notch detective work, there.

But, yeah, he's good.

I think you're forgetting about Matt Flynn's epic one-game career :P 

But yeah, that's funny stuff from ESPN right there. Thanks for sharing!

And he was Brett Favre's backup.  One era of excellence ended, another began.    8 seasons in a row where the Pack has made the playoffs, including a Super Bowl win.

It's definitely skill in the talent department. Ron Wolf resurrected the Packers from nothing and since him the Packers front office has generated: Ted Thompson (GM Packers), John Schneider (Seahawks), Reggie McKenzie (Raiders) - their fans initially hated him because he blew up the team, but he got Carr and a good offensive line and Mack with his top picks; and John Dorsey (Chiefs).

The Bills could make a run a Wolf's son Eliot for their next GM, as he's slowly moving up the Packers' front office food chain.

I think you're forgetting about Matt Flynn's epic one-game career :P

And he had a great game in New England when Rodgers was hurt back in 2010. One late interception, but otherwise our team knew we could hang with anyone that season. Rodgers was back the next week and the Packers didn't lose again that year. And yes, his Lions game was silly stats-wise. Got him a nice paycheck to back up Wilson in Seattle.

And he was Brett Favre's backup.  One era of excellence ended, another began.  

No, no, no.  It's more amazing than that:  Favre was still in playing shape and the Pack let him go just to get to Rogers.  That blew my mind at the time.  It proved to be the right move, but Favre had his best completion % and his best QB rating *after* leaving the Packers.  It isn't like he was obviously at the end of his career (even thought he'd been their starter for 16 years already).  Favre was still and excellent QB.

No, no, no.  It's more amazing than that:  Favre was still in playing shape and the Pack let him go just to get to Rogers.  That blew my mind at the time.  It proved to be the right move, but Favre had his best completion % and his best QB rating *after* leaving the Packers.  It isn't like he was obviously at the end of his career (even thought he'd been their starter for 16 years already).  Favre was still and excellent QB.

I don't know why that blew your mind.  It was exactly their plan:  Let Rodgers learn the game on the bench for two years. That was the Bills' plan for Manuel, too, but (1) Kolb can't walk on a rubber mat and (2) Manuel is no Rodgers.  But still, letting a QB develop for two years is smart if the team can afford it.  I think that was the Cheats' plan for Garroppollo (sp?) too, but Brady has proved to be more durable than expected.

But, yeah, he's good.

Haha, that's kind of funny.  Here's a better one: Rodgers is now the first player in NFL history to win consecutive playoff games while throwing 350+ yards in each.

Wait, what about that one who actually was bagging groceries and ended up a Super Bowl champ ...

I don't know why that blew your mind. It was exactly their plan: Let Rodgers learn the game on the bench for two years. That was the Bills' plan for Manuel, too, but (1) Kolb can't walk on a rubber mat and (2) Manuel is no Rodgers. But still, letting a QB develop for two years is smart if the team can afford it. I think that was the Cheats' plan for Garroppollo (sp?) too, but Brady has proved to be more durable than expected.

The Ravens essentially did the Rodgers protocol with Tyrod before trading him to the Bills, no?

I don't know why that blew your mind.  It was exactly their plan:  Let Rodgers learn the game on the bench for two years. That was the Bills' plan for Manuel, too, but (1) Kolb can't walk on a rubber mat and (2) Manuel is no Rodgers.  But still, letting a QB develop for two years is smart if the team can afford it.  I think that was the Cheats' plan for Garroppollo (sp?) too, but Brady has proved to be more durable than expected.

I realize it was their plan, but to let go of a known quantity for an unproven player takes some cojones.

Great point.   There's the difference between winning and losing - the Pack sees Rodgers potential, and cuts a top shelf QB loose and decides to move on BEFORE the wheels come off the train. 

The Bills, by contrast,  they couldn't even realize that Ryan Friggin' Fitzpatrick wasn't the answer at QB, and skipped a couple decent QB classes to draft garbage in Manuel.   LOL

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.