Buffalo Bills 2016

That Aud Smell

Mike Schopp's head must have finally ess-ploded when he read the following. He was ranting before the McDermott hire about how the Bills didn't want to discuss what they were looking for in a head coach, lest they hand other teams' some advantage. Well, Terry won't even discuss it NOW. I mean, he could. But then he'd have to smother us with pillows and drop us three miles into the earth, or something. It's funny.

"We are not going to disclose any of the things we used to pick our coach because, again, this business is so competitive, I'm not going to tell the world, the rest of the league what we look for in a coach. That's our business."

Now, my final point on this interview. Golly gee, I hope I get this in context. Graham asked the Pegulas what message they had for the fans.

TP: I tell them that we as owners go through the same emotions they do. Both of our organizations are working extremely hard to put a better product on the ice and on the field. We're working hard.

KP: It's not easy.

TP: It's not easy to win.

He was NOT asked to comment on the success of the Patriots or anything. Like Foligno's comment, but worse, I don't want anyone associated with Buffalo sports franchises to have this attitude. What's more concerning almost than the attitude is the idea that they think they're doing a good job, but — what? — they just haven't been lucky yet?

I guess the good news for fans like me is that apparently the Bills are pretty much consuming these owners. But we don't have nearly as much information about how the Pegulas own the Sabres. Covering their tracks better? What I worry about is Murray/Bylsma not working out, and then the Pegulas have to fix things. Anyone have confidence in them? Show of hands?

What attitude? This is an enormous issue I have with friends, old sportswriters, etc....What do you want him to say? I cannot think of anything he or Mrs. Pegula could say to change your conception of them. Interviews/press conferences are also pointless. Analyze what happens during the games, players, strategies, and of course the teams' win/loss records. Everything else is just noise.  

What am I missing? Two guys wearing similar ties are supposed to make me assume what now?

Just speculation I imagine. After Russ stuck his nose in last time by telling Rex about how much Pegula likes red wine, it was just a jab about Russ possibly meddling again into football matters.

He always says it about every hire. He throws in a little bit about them being a man of faith and that that should tell you all you need to know

I have no clue how this guy made billions

Well, I think he "only" made a few hundred million when a little luck intervened and vast reserves of natural gas were found on land his company owned, accessible via fracking. Just another example of how expertise in one area does not inherently lend itself to expertise in an unrelated field.

SM just complete my side stepped that question on Tyrod and if his input really matters at all on keeping or releasing him

'To win in this business, it's about two things: players and winning' DW, 1-13-2017

Unreal :lol:

Edited by WildCard

Apparently being religious is a big quality Terry looks for in his candidates. What a ###### jabroni

I recall this from past statements.

He always says it about every hire. He throws in a little bit about them being a man of faith and that that should tell you all you need to know

Yep.

Well, I think he "only" made a few hundred million when a little luck intervened and vast reserves of natural gas were found on land his company owned, accessible via fracking. Just another example of how expertise in one area does not inherently lend itself to expertise in an unrelated field.

East Resources did a lot of its own fracking of its own before the sale to Shell. Pegula seems to have bet and won on a wager that the lands he acquired would be suitable for fracking and that fracking would be a next wave of energy production. But, he just as easily could have lost on that wager.

I will agree: The more I hear him talk, the less impressed I am.

Is it even, like, legal for him to ask that about a job candidate?

Yes, I ask fully knowing that my ignorance is showing

I think he'd have been on shaky ground if he got into matters of faith. Of course, the coach may have just offered it up on his own. Y'know - after being told by Russ Brandon that it would serve him well to mention it.

I doubt it, but I bet it's around the league that it's important to Terry, so I wouldn't be surprised if a candidate just slips it in there, or Terry finds a round about way of finding out

It's not make or break to sure, but why is it relevant at all? I've heard him praise people for having faith before too, it makes no sense. Guy is running a business with his wife but has the mentality of the 50s

I think he'd have been on shaky ground if he got into matters of faith. Of course, the coach may have just offered it up on his own. Y'know - after being told by Russ Brandon that it would serve him well to mention it.

My guess is it's perfectly legal to ask, but legally reckless to do so. If an atheist/agnostic  were to have interviewed (my sense is very few coaches are such, but I digress...) it'd open up the possibility of civil action. Of course, proving a job was not offered because of an answer to one particular question in one particular hiring decision is another matter.

Do we have any employment lawyers around? :lol:

SM just complete my side stepped that question on Tyrod and if his input really matters at all on keeping or releasing him

'To win in this business, it's about two things: players and winning' DW, 1-13-2017

Unreal :lol:

This quote is an all-timer. I love it :lol:

On WGR, Donald Jones asked Terry how he came up with the Bills' management structure. "We had some practice in the National Hockey League," Terry said.

That could certainly reinforce the idea that the Sabres were always prelude to the Bills. It also raises the question of what lesson Terry learned with the Sabres that led him to have the Bills coach and GM report to him — when that's not the structure in place with the Sabres. Curious.

I t is the responcability of the owner to hire the coach, and I think there is no way that a multi-billion dollar industry like the NFL leaves these decisions soley up to first time, green NFL owners, without some guidance. I would bet that there are firms devoted to helping an owner pick a coach and GM.

It's one of the reasons I have been so disenchanted with the NFL (it started when I heard that Goodell steered Vick away from the Bills knowing we have been so desparate for a QB, and I bet they steered Rex toward them.)

Nobody cares the Bills suck except Bills fans, and they are still buying tickets.

Edited by SwampD

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.