Buffalo Bills 2016

That Aud Smell

According to a Bay Area Report it's not happening

Vance Joseph wanted to hire Todd Downing as OC, that changed yesterday. Now Mike McCoy will be his OC in Denver per multiple sources

Per Schefter McCoy and Bill Musgrave are interviewing on Thursday for the job

Nothing official yet. Just twitter speculating that is Joseph's preference now that he has the Denver job.

OTOH, folks in Denver are flipping out because there are rumors that Wade Phillips might be leaving now that Joseph is there.

@MikeSilver

As I reported last night, Vance Joseph would like to take Mike McCoy as his OC in Denver. McCoy not in a hurry to make a decision.

More news, someone asked John Wawrow if the deal with McDermott is being finalized, these three tweets came out

Nothing I've heard has changed that path.

Question now being raised regarding GM Doug Whaley.

Another question to JW was what question

The response

The one I raised on Monday ...

John Wawrow @john_wawrow 32m32 minutes ago

Oh, boy. I'm sure this'll turn out well.

And

Just saying, it hasn't been a good few weeks for Doug Whaley.

Is Whaley in trouble?

Not that it happens, but Whaley being ousted by the coaching search he spearheaded would be the Billsiest thing to ever Bills :lol:

Oh, man. Yes.

There's almost a way in which you could liken it to one of those wacky plot twists in a mob movie. Like when Peschi's character gets whacked when he thinks he's being made at the end of Goodfellas.

Not that it happens, but Whaley being ousted by the coaching search he spearheaded would be the Billsiest thing to ever Bills :lol:

Have the Pegulas gotten a lot of feedback from league sources saying he is an impediment to improving?

Did McDermott do something to change their minds?

Or did Whaley threaten to resign after realizing he would be losing complete control of the 53 man roster?

Per Jason LaCanfora

Sean McDermott has agreed to become the next head coach of the Buffalo Bills

Edited by BRAWNDO

Why?

Trent Dilfer, who's opinion I value highly, went on espn radio and was really, really high on Deshaun Watson. Can see him being a 2nd round pick, but believes he rates him at a top 5 pick. Loves hit attitude, confidence, and says he's a throw first QB. Likens him to Winston

:Unsure: what does that have to do with drafting a safety at 10.

Per Schefter

Sean McDermott's likely DC in Buffalo is Panthers LB coach Al Holcomb, per source. Logical hire and promotion.

And Norv Turners Name is being mentioned for OC if no McCoy

Not too thrilled w/ bringing Turner. Would rather keep Lynn (if possible) if McCoy turns them down.

Nice. Draft up for him, or just pray he slides to us? I say draft up

I'd definitely be willing to trade up for him. I was hoping that his up and down season would cause him to slide, but that doesn't appear to be the case at the moment.

Are the Bills actually going to take a QB in the first round, do you guys think?

If Tyrod isn't retained, I think there's a good chance. Though going safety and hoping Mahomes is there in round 2 makes sense too.

Not too thrilled w/ bringing Turner. Would rather keep Lynn (if possible) if McCoy turns them down.

There's the rub. I suppose anything is possible, but I'd be kinda surprised if Lynn stuck around unless he has no other equivalent (or better) options.

John Clayton was on GR earlier and has some interesting thoughts. First he feels that McCoy will take the Buffalo Job over Denver, because he, McDermott and Kyle Shanahan all have the same agent. The agent feels slighted that Shanahan did not get the Denver Gig and will attempt to steer Mc Coy away. Plus he mentioned that Elway did not want McCoy to be the OC in Denver the first time around and that John Fox intervened on his behalf. Whether this will actually affect his decision, who knows?

Also Clayton mentioned that Turner would not take the Buffalo OC Job because he would prefer to coach on the West Coast

Will Terry be at the presser tomorrow or just keep texting his BFF JW? He's learning a lot from the ###### he voted for.

I'm not a fan anymore, but I do follow the Bills situation. I like Chuck Pollock, who has been covering the Bills for the Olean paper for decades and is very well respected. So I read his column on the Bills' hire. Twice. I still can't make heads or tails of what's going on with that franchise. Chuck's getting up there in years, but I don't think it's him.

Seriously, WTF?

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/sports/will-mcdermott-function-without-whaley-meddling/article_c5004888-d880-11e6-916c-4723248d186b.html

Edited by PASabreFan

Will Terry be at the presser tomorrow or just keep texting his BFF JW? He's learning a lot from the ###### he voted for.

I'm not a fan anymore, but I do follow the Bills situation. I like Chuck Pollock, who has been covering the Bills for the Olean paper for decades and is very well respected. So I read his column on the Bills' hire. Twice. I still can't make heads or tails of what's going on with that franchise. Chuck's getting up there in years, but I don't think it's him.

Seriously, WTF?

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/sports/will-mcdermott-function-without-whaley-meddling/article_c5004888-d880-11e6-916c-4723248d186b.html

I took two things from that: one, he's mad that whatever leaks are happening aren't getting to him. He thinks that's Whaley, so he's not charitable to anything else Whaley does. Two, is a little unclear, but he either doesn't agree with or doesn't get the idea that playing Tyrod Taylor for the last game could put the Bills into a crappy situation in terms of the cap if the new coach wants a different QB. He only mentions it as proof that the Bills are going to cut Taylor, not from the standpoint that it gives them flexibility. I'm not saying that's a great call on the Bills' part, but it does have logic. If I'm thinking about buying a new house, I'm not going commit to a new car bought in cash using the down payment money tomorrow; I wait until I have a better picture and then make decisions.

^

I'm not sure it's clear that the Pegulas "made the choice." It sounded, and seemed, as though they more or less did what they said they'd do: Whaley interviewed candidates, and then made recommendations to the Pegulas. The Pegulas then satisfied themselves that they were ready to hire a candidate that Whaley recommended.

But, yes. There were indications that seemed to suggest that the Pegulas were driving the process a bit, and maybe even negotiating off-line of Whaley about giving power to the new HC that otherwise would belong to Whaley.

In any case, it seems like they hired a very good candidate. I've read some of the guys interviews from the past -- Christ, does he work insane hours. Keep at it like that, and he'll be lucky to see 60.

It is, as always, very much an open question on whether he can succeed. Best of luck to him.

In other news: The Pegulas continue to need a president/VP of football operations. But please do not hire someone from the Bills' glory days.

Good breakdown from BuffaloRumblings as to the difference between Rex's 3-4 and McDermott's 4-3

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/1/12/14236950/sean-mcdermott-buffalo-bills-head-coach-4-3-defense-all-22

Doug Marrone wants to hire Donnie Henderson, and Tom Coughlin won't let him. That sounds like it's off to a great start :lol:

Saint Doug at it again!

^

I'm not sure it's clear that the Pegulas "made the choice." It sounded, and seemed, as though they more or less did what they said they'd do: Whaley interviewed candidates, and then made recommendations to the Pegulas. The Pegulas then satisfied themselves that they were ready to hire a candidate that Whaley recommended.

But, yes. There were indications that seemed to suggest that the Pegulas were driving the process a bit, and maybe even negotiating off-line of Whaley about giving power to the new HC that otherwise would belong to Whaley.

In any case, it seems like they hired a very good candidate. I've read some of the guys interviews from the past -- Christ, does he work insane hours. Keep at it like that, and he'll be lucky to see 60.

It is, as always, very much an open question on whether he can succeed. Best of luck to him.

In other news: The Pegulas continue to need a president/VP of football operations. But please do not hire someone from the Bills' glory days.

What about making the GM and candidate go to Florida? Is that anything? If Whaley was making the hire, it seems like the final meetings would be in Whaley's office at OBD and the Pegulas would fly up and sign off.

There's also a pic of the new coach between the Pegulas, with Whaley to Kim's left. So... Terry coach Kim Doug. Not a great look. Bills PR should have had just the coach and the Pegulas in the pic, then the coach with Whaley, Whaley with the coach and one of the Pegulas, etc.

Finally, one of the reasons Terry liked coach is that coach was a good wrestler in high school (in PA, of course). That's some Ralph Wilson territory right thur.

All that said, I think it's a good hire, because it's not flashy. Maybe the dog is wagging the tail now. Coach should get four years. And report to Whaley.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.