Buffalo Bills 2016

That Aud Smell

What about making the GM and candidate go to Florida? Is that anything? If Whaley was making the hire, it seems like the final meetings would be in Whaley's office at OBD and the Pegulas would fly up and sign off.

There's also a pic of the new coach between the Pegulas, with Whaley to Kim's left. So... Terry coach Kim Doug. Not a great look. Bills PR should have had just the coach and the Pegulas in the pic, then the coach with Whaley, Whaley with the coach and one of the Pegulas, etc.

Finally, one of the reasons Terry liked coach is that coach was a good wrestler in high school (in PA, of course). That's some Ralph Wilson territory right thur.

All that said, I think it's a good hire, because it's not flashy. Maybe the dog is wagging the tail now. Coach should get four years. And report to Whaley.

I think you're reading too much into it. There's no reason to think Whaley wasn't in Boca, or that anyone would rather be in Boca than Buffalo in January. The picture is candid, and could have been posed better, but I tend to think the only people who'd think about that are obsessives on the internet. No offense. :)  (I'm kidding with you here)

Edited by MattPie

Well, he's not wrong about the guy's pedigree as a champion wrestler being indicative of a penchant for hard work and dedication.

It just ... frickin' reminds me of his gratuitous evaluation of Paul Gaustad in 2011. Something about how he looked the man in the eye, and could see he was a leader of men, blah blah blah.

Just stop it. 

Edited by That Aud Smell

In any case, it seems like they hired a very good candidate. I've read some of the guys interviews from the past -- Christ, does he work insane hours. Keep at it like that, and he'll be lucky to see 60.

Murph just said coach sleeps in his office. With technology, why is that necessary in this day and age?

I was going to post this in the unpopular opinion thread: coaches should be limited to say a 50-hour work week and be prevented from sleeping in their offices. Is it any wonder these guys go brain-dead when it comes to tactical decisions on game day? How are they even conscious?

Murph just said coach sleeps in his office. With technology, why is that necessary in this day and age?

I was going to post this in the unpopular opinion thread: coaches should be limited to say a 50-hour work week and be prevented from sleeping in their offices. Is it any wonder these guys go brain-dead when it comes to tactical decisions on game day? How are they even conscious?

Being able to remote into your desktop doesn't always allow you to do everything you can do at the office -- especially if part of that work involves bouncing things off other people.

I see where you're coming from on wanting to hack back on the infamous 100+ hour work week for these NFL coaches. I honestly can't spend much time thinking about it -- it just bums me the hell out. 

It's no small irony that the games themselves would probably be a lot looser and more fun to watch if the coordinators weren't grinding every possible play and permutation into a pile of dust. 

Pegula on McDermott: "2X natl prep wrester says it all. I know it isn't a quality for NFL HC, but of character and hardworking focus that says it all"

Yay team

Well, my faith in this franchise is now restored. One hapless Buffalo with idiots running the show. We should hire Arnold Schwarzenegger next. The hard work he put into moving to a new country, learning a foreign language, becoming a world renowned body builder and action movie star, before becoming the Governor of a state he can't even pronounce means he has the hardworking focus and character to master this whole football thing in no time, right? Plus, he used to be in charge of the entire universe so running a football team would have to be a complete cakewalk.

Edited by Drunkard

The old boy network is something to behold. Imagine how many good young coaches can't break through it? How do you find them though?

Well, my faith in this franchise is now restored. One hapless Buffalo with idiots running the show. We should hire Arnold Schwarzenegger next. The hard work he put into moving to a new country, learning a foreign language, becoming a world renowned body builder and action movie star, before becoming the Governor of a state he can't even pronounce means he has the hardworking focus and character to master this whole football thing in no time, right? Plus, he used to be in charge of the entire universe so running a football team would have to be a complete cakewalk.

Ohhh. He was a champion wrester. And once he got that remote, you weren't getting it back.

Tim Graham did an extensive interview with the Pegulas.

• Sounds like Whaley brought four candidates to the Pegulas and they took it from there. Terry talked to Andy Reid about McDermott. Kim said she and Terry spoke to players, coaches and staff who had worked with McDermott. This is clearly their hire.

• The reporting arrangement will remain unchanged. Coach reports to the owners.

• Terry says Russ Brandon runs the business side, but he has no problem with Russ talking to the coach and GM about... whatever. He even has no problem with Russ watching film with the scouts.

"Russ might like to look at how scouts break down film for the same reasons I do, because I find it fascinating and I enjoy it. I'll be there while they're watching film, but that doesn't mean I'm evaluating players."

• They have no plans to hire a football president. "We don't have any plans to do that. We just don't choose to go down that road. We're just hiring a new coach. We got a GM that's sitting in his seat. When you bring somebody else in, to me, that's not going to be as coherent as the people who've been there and have been working together or responsible for hiring the new coach." —TP

• Terry and Kim won't take questions at the presser tomorrow. As Terry said, he likes the players and coaches to be out front. Right.

And the beat goes on. Sorry, Taro.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/12/terry-pegula-accusations-bills-dysfunctional-consider-insult/

Tim Graham did an extensive interview with the Pegulas.

• Sounds like Whaley brought four candidates to the Pegulas and they took it from there. Terry talked to Andy Reid about McDermott. Kim said she and Terry spoke to players, coaches and staff who had worked with McDermott. This is clearly their hire.

• The reporting arrangement will remain unchanged. Coach reports to the owners.

• Terry says Russ Brandon runs the business side, but he has no problem with Russ talking to the coach and GM about... whatever. He even has no problem with Russ watching film with the scouts.

"Russ might like to look at how scouts break down film for the same reasons I do, because I find it fascinating and I enjoy it. I'll be there while they're watching film, but that doesn't mean I'm evaluating players."

• They have no plans to hire a football president. "We don't have any plans to do that. We just don't choose to go down that road. We're just hiring a new coach. We got a GM that's sitting in his seat. When you bring somebody else in, to me, that's not going to be as coherent as the people who've been there and have been working together or responsible for hiring the new coach." —TP

• Terry and Kim won't take questions at the presser tomorrow. As Terry said, he likes the players and coaches to be out front. Right.

And the beat goes on. Sorry, Taro.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/12/terry-pegula-accusations-bills-dysfunctional-consider-insult/

Every one of those answers are the exact opposite of how I want an owner and Russ Brandon involved. :sick:

Thanks for the Reader's Digest version, PA.

The Pegulas are what they are, I suppose. Whaley lead the search, and whittled it down to four candidates. I'm sure he had input on the process of interviewing those four, but I agree that this was far more than the owners' seal of approval on what the GM thought was best to do. Horizontal management structures, and all.

*Sigh*

Well, at least they're consistent.

Sounds like they didn't like their experience with Lala and don't want to go that route here.

Ooooh. I had not considered this yet. Good call.

Mike Schopp's head must have finally ess-ploded when he read the following. He was ranting before the McDermott hire about how the Bills didn't want to discuss what they were looking for in a head coach, lest they hand other teams' some advantage. Well, Terry won't even discuss it NOW. I mean, he could. But then he'd have to smother us with pillows and drop us three miles into the earth, or something. It's funny.

"We are not going to disclose any of the things we used to pick our coach because, again, this business is so competitive, I'm not going to tell the world, the rest of the league what we look for in a coach. That's our business."

Now, my final point on this interview. Golly gee, I hope I get this in context. Graham asked the Pegulas what message they had for the fans.

TP: I tell them that we as owners go through the same emotions they do. Both of our organizations are working extremely hard to put a better product on the ice and on the field. We're working hard.

KP: It's not easy.

TP: It's not easy to win.

He was NOT asked to comment on the success of the Patriots or anything. Like Foligno's comment, but worse, I don't want anyone associated with Buffalo sports franchises to have this attitude. What's more concerning almost than the attitude is the idea that they think they're doing a good job, but — what? — they just haven't been lucky yet?

I guess the good news for fans like me is that apparently the Bills are pretty much consuming these owners. But we don't have nearly as much information about how the Pegulas own the Sabres. Covering their tracks better? What I worry about is Murray/Bylsma not working out, and then the Pegulas have to fix things. Anyone have confidence in them? Show of hands?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.