Sabres' brass LOVES Leafs fans at FNC

PASabreFan

You probably can't so it's best just to send out the ads saying ... attention our of town Sabre fans we want you ... or something like that.

Yeah, but that's not who they want. They want the fans of opposing teams. I reckon we could extend this beyond just the Leafs. 

Let's talk about willful misreading. If that's what you think I said then you're reaching.

you said they don't want out of town sabres fans, they want fans of opposing teams. 

you said they don't want out of town sabres fans, they want fans of opposing teams.

Right. Because none of Gilbert's comments are about out of town Sabres fans. Everything he said regards Leafs fans. He wants Leafs fans here.

Does he say he wants them over Sabres fans? No. But no one, including myself, has made that assertion. You're the one adding that language.

Right. Because none of Gilbert's comments are about out of town Sabres fans. Everything he said regards Leafs fans. He wants Leafs fans here.

Does he say he wants them over Sabres fans? No. But no one, including myself, has made that assertion. You're the one adding that language.

The WHOLE thread has been about Leafs and/or other fans over Sabres fans,  otherwise who cares? 

Everything Gilbert said? he has two quotes that arent even from the same sentence. In only one does he talk about Leafs fans.  

Show me the part where he says or implies he wants more leafs fans?    

Is it the first quote : "We love Southern Ontario Leafs fans"  

or this one " "When the Leafs are in town, thirty to forty per cent of fans holding tickets are from Southern Ontario,"  ??  

What part is he wants more Leafs fan?  

You know that 15% of the season tickets holders are from southern Ontario.... perhaps that's why he says he loves them. 

The WHOLE thread has been about Leafs and/or other fans over Sabres fans, otherwise who cares?

Everything Gilbert said? he has two quotes that arent even from the same sentence. In only one does he talk about Leafs fans.

Show me the part where he says or implies he wants more leafs fans?

Is it the first quote : "We love Southern Ontario Leafs fans"

or this one " "When the Leafs are in town, thirty to forty per cent of fans holding tickets are from Southern Ontario," ??

What part is he wants more Leafs fan?

You know that 15% of the season tickets holders are from southern Ontario.... perhaps that's why he says he loves them.

The article is about encouraging Leafs fans to come to Sabres games! His answers are a response to that line of conversation! Leafs fans! Sabres games! This isn't hard to follow.

The only thing that is being truly debated is the ethics of the Sabres welcoming Leafs fans. The direct quote asserts that Leafs fans are valued by the Sabres. There are some who believe it is morally wrong (or something). That is the question at hand.

The article is about encouraging Leafs fans to come to Sabres games! His answers are a response to that line of conversation! Leafs fans! Sabres games! This isn't hard to follow.

The only thing that is being truly debated is the ethics of the Sabres welcoming Leafs fans. The direct quote asserts that Leafs fans are valued by the Sabres. There are some who believe it is morally wrong (or something). That is the question at hand.

None of this ever gets debated if Terry never uttered the words, I'll drill another well.  At least, that is what I take out of the OP.

Again, wouldn't sabres STH be more responsible for Leafs fan attendance since they are the ones who directly facilitate it? 

The STH'er does not control who buys their ticket. It's offered for sale to anyone be they Sabres or Leafs fan. So if mostly Mostly Leafs fans are at games, is it the STH'er facilitating it or the Sabres fan who can't be bothered to buy a ticket? (Mind you, Leafs tickets on StubHub are going for under box office prices!) I should also point out that right now Sabres game do no sell out, so even if every STH'er didn't sell their seats, thousands of Leafs fans could simply buy tickets at the box office, again thanks to Sabres fans' antipathy.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The STH'er does not control who buys their ticket. It's offered for sale to anyone be they Sabres or Leafs fan. So if mostly Mostly Leafs fans are at games, is it the STH'er facilitating it or the Sabres fan who can't be bothered to buy a ticket? (Mind you, Leafs tickets on StubHub are going for under box office prices!) I should also point out that right now Sabres game do no sell out, so even if every STH'er didn't sell their seats, thousands of Leafs fans could simply buy tickets at the box office, again thanks to Sabres fans' antipathy.

There have been a few legit sellouts. When the team starts winning, tickets will sell.

And when demand is up, Loaf tix won't sell below window. So, you just have to bide your time; you'll start making money again soon enough.

There have been a few legit sellouts. When the team starts winning, tickets will sell.

And when demand is up, Loaf tix won't sell below window. So, you just have to bide your time; you'll start making money again soon enough.

I know you don't believe me but break-even is my goal. I just want to be able to pay off each season. (My current avatar is just a parody of what you all think of me.)

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I know you don't believe me but break-even is my goal. I just want to be able to pay off each season. (My current avatar is just a parody of what you all think of me.)

i think you've gotten a bit of short shrift, but I think the idea of even breaking even on tickets (or profiting) is an odd concept, but maybe that's just me. Before the easy online sale era, was it common to try to sell off enough tickets (I'm assuming via mail order catalogs and scribblings on bathroom walls) to break even or is it new?

i think you've gotten a bit of short shrift, but I think the idea of even breaking even on tickets (or profiting) is an odd concept, but maybe that's just me. Before the easy online sale era, was it common to try to sell off enough tickets (I'm assuming via mail order catalogs and scribblings on bathroom walls) to break even or is it new?

Probably not as easy, but hey, don't hate the player, hate the game. StubHub is an NHL partner. They encourage this. I could never afford seasons otherwise. Now I get to see the Sabres every trip home and I'll be all set come playoff time. (It is coming one day.)

It's like death by a million pin pricks. I can't stand this site anymore, I swear.

Or death by a million bitter posts tearing down a team you claim to love, but despise at every turn, regardless if they actually did anything despiteful in the first place. You admittedly knew this would be a "hot topic" because you enjoy being a troll. "Hot topics" don't originate from puff pieces in the travel section of local newspapers, unless someone is willing to bend and twist the situation to illicit that hot reaction you know all so well. That's the definition of a troll - a person who writes inflammatory posts to create a negative reaction. It is what you do. Some tolerate it. Some find it tiresome and get chased away.

If you can't stand the site then find something else that you do enjoy. It's not unprecedented. This is supposed to be a place of enjoyment and despite the constant animosity you show us - we do try to make this a place where everyone can enjoy themselves. How many people do you think have silently left because they no longer enjoyed the daily drumbeat of two guys endlessly ruining thread after thread bashing the front office? 

Although the phrasing of LGR4GM's outburst was inappropriate and was rightfully warned about it, I hope everyone stops for a second to think about WHY he reacted like that. It wasn't random. He doesn't have Turrets. There are two sides to every story. He happened to have reached the end of his tolerance for those juicy "hot topics" like scores of others before him. Most others just log-off and leave... many for good. Just give that a thought. Not everyone has the ability to dismiss this junk every day, forever.

I spoke to Mike Gilbert tonight. You know - to actually get some facts instead of building a daily straw man to knockdown and piss the word "Pegulaville" over it. (Everyone knows the original poster certainly meant "Pegulaville" as a term of endearment, not derision - right? Because what type of person would deride the attempted rebirth of a region that is going on in Buffalo? Something to ponder.) Anyways...

The author, Lorne, is from Buffalo, who lives in Toronto. As a freelance writer, he probably gets about $100 an article. He got an idea for easy money writing a puff piece for the travel section of the online paper for Hamilton and gave Mike a call 2 months ago asking if he could come in and get some information about the Harborcenter.

Mike said:

- Lorne contacted him two months ago and requested information regarding a local destination travel piece he was writing (He was probably home for Thanksgiving as he is from Buffalo but lives in Toronto)

- The Sabres did NOT initiate contact with Lorne.

- Mike sent him to a lower level employee who provided the details Lorne requested for his article. (If people are unfamiliar with the style of destination travel pieces - try reading some. It's formula. It sounded like a press release because that's the nature of the genre. The Sabres provided the information as requested, but Lorne was responsible for the final copy. If you don't like the fact that it sounded like a press release then blame him.).

- Lorne asked Mike a few questions because he wanted another voice for the article.

- The article does not say what question elicited Mike's response, nor did I ask Mike. (Probably an important fact before one criticizes the response. Not hard to imagine Mr. Travel writer guy asking a question specifically about Leaf fans that required him to directly answer about Leaf fans. A shocking assertion.). 

- Mike the VP of Public and Community Relations chose/choses to welcome all hockey fans to enjoy a game at Harborcenter. (It is what they do in community relations - welcome the community.)

- 18% of all sales come from SO/Hamilton. Most are Sabres fans (he presumes), but there are Montreal/Toronto fans too. Fans of the game are welcome. Period. (as if there is any other acceptable answer here from the Community Relations guy)

- Notes that atmosphere at the arena much more lively when the Leafs play and it makes for a better experience for everyone in attendance. (Kudos to those who mentioned this)

- He wishes all games could have a similar atmosphere, but recognizes that they don't.

- Says the Sabres lose money.

- Marketing department had nothing to do with that article. Strictly a Community Relations response to an information inquiry from a Toronto-based travel writer wanting to highlight the Harborcenter.

So, that's the big bad boogieman for you. Those incompetent front office buffoons... Two guys do their job in the least noteworthy way possible, one quotes the other (and edits to the greatest appeal of his target audience while not providing any context) and some see that as another opening to create a "hot topic" to cast another round of aspersions on the franchise. Because, you know, everyone goes waaaaaay out of their way to constantly crap on something they "love" - right?

My only question is what could possibly be next? The national anthem singer has already been outed as a problem. Hard-hitting travel writers have exposed the wretched underbelly of the beast. I'm guessing someone will notice Terry's farts smell like Philly cheesesteaks and not Frank's hot sauce. Selling out to the Broad Street Bullies? Who could possibly doubt it...

Or death by a million bitter posts tearing down a team you claim to love, but despise at every turn, regardless if they actually did anything despiteful in the first place. You admittedly knew this would be a "hot topic" because you enjoy being a troll. "Hot topics" don't originate from puff pieces in the travel section of local newspapers, unless someone is willing to bend and twist the situation to illicit that hot reaction you know all so well. That's the definition of a troll - a person who writes inflammatory posts to create a negative reaction. It is what you do. Some tolerate it. Some find it tiresome and get chased away.

If you can't stand the site then find something else that you do enjoy. It's not unprecedented. This is supposed to be a place of enjoyment and despite the constant animosity you show us - we do try to make this a place where everyone can enjoy themselves. How many people do you think have silently left because they no longer enjoyed the daily drumbeat of two guys endlessly ruining thread after thread bashing the front office? 

Although the phrasing of LGR4GM's outburst was inappropriate and was rightfully warned about it, I hope everyone stops for a second to think about WHY he reacted like that. It wasn't random. He doesn't have Turrets. There are two sides to every story. He happened to have reached the end of his tolerance for those juicy "hot topics" like scores of others before him. Most others just log-off and leave... many for good. Just give that a thought. Not everyone has the ability to dismiss this junk every day, forever.

I spoke to Mike Gilbert tonight. You know - to actually get some facts instead of building a daily straw man to knockdown and piss the word "Pegulaville" over it. (Everyone knows the original poster certainly meant "Pegulaville" as a term of endearment, not derision - right? Because what type of person would deride the attempted rebirth of a region that is going on in Buffalo? Something to ponder.) Anyways...

The author, Lorne, is from Buffalo, who lives in Toronto. As a freelance writer, he probably gets about $100 an article. He got an idea for easy money writing a puff piece for the travel section of the online paper for Hamilton and gave Mike a call 2 months ago asking if he could come in and get some information about the Harborcenter.

Mike said:

- Lorne contacted him two months ago and requested information regarding a local destination travel piece he was writing (He was probably home for Thanksgiving as he is from Buffalo but lives in Toronto)

- The Sabres did NOT initiate contact with Lorne.

- Mike sent him to a lower level employee who provided the details Lorne requested for his article. (If people are unfamiliar with the style of destination travel pieces - try reading some. It's formula. It sounded like a press release because that's the nature of the genre. The Sabres provided the information as requested, but Lorne was responsible for the final copy. If you don't like the fact that it sounded like a press release then blame him.).

- Lorne asked Mike a few questions because he wanted another voice for the article.

- The article does not say what question elicited Mike's response, nor did I ask Mike. (Probably an important fact before one criticizes the response. Not hard to imagine Mr. Travel writer guy asking a question specifically about Leaf fans that required him to directly answer about Leaf fans. A shocking assertion.). 

- Mike the VP of Public and Community Relations chose/choses to welcome all hockey fans to enjoy a game at Harborcenter. (It is what they do in community relations - welcome the community.)

- 18% of all sales come from SO/Hamilton. Most are Sabres fans (he presumes), but there are Montreal/Toronto fans too. Fans of the game are welcome. Period. (as if there is any other acceptable answer here from the Community Relations guy)

- Notes that atmosphere at the arena much more lively when the Leafs play and it makes for a better experience for everyone in attendance. (Kudos to those who mentioned this)

- He wishes all games could have a similar atmosphere, but recognizes that they don't.

- Says the Sabres lose money.

- Marketing department had nothing to do with that article. Strictly a Community Relations response to an information inquiry from a Toronto-based travel writer wanting to highlight the Harborcenter.

So, that's the big bad boogieman for you. Those incompetent front office buffoons... Two guys do their job in the least noteworthy way possible, one quotes the other (and edits to the greatest appeal of his target audience while not providing any context) and some see that as another opening to create a "hot topic" to cast another round of aspersions on the franchise. Because, you know, everyone goes waaaaaay out of their way to constantly crap on something they "love" - right?

My only question is what could possibly be next? The national anthem singer has already been outed as a problem. Hard-hitting travel writers have exposed the wretched underbelly of the beast. I'm guessing someone will notice Terry's farts smell like Philly cheesesteaks and not Frank's hot sauce. Selling out to the Broad Street Bullies? Who could possibly doubt it...

:thumbsup:

Well, then.

It's Scott's sandbox, as is often said

And I appreciate how PA's "I can't stand this site" line would irritate the operator. It chafed me a bit. A bit.

PA agitates and provokes, but I don't think be can so tidily be referred to as a troll. There's too much intelligence there.

In my experience, online communities need a provocateur or three to remain vibrant and varied. Otherwise, the conversation trends toward fairly uniform group think and constant thumbs up emojis.

If it were put to a vote: Is your online community better off with PA or without? I vote "with".

As for those who bruise so easily as to get chased off by an agile agitator such as PA? I mean - whaddayagonnado.

p.s. Gibby told you the Sabres lose money? Huh. I guess I haven't given that issue much thought in a while, given that Uncle Terry and Aunt Kim are in charge.

p.p.s. Such a staunch and rousing defense of the FO will tend to reinforce the speculation that the site has some sort of tie, official or un-, to the team itself.

Well, then.

And I appreciate how PA's "I can't stand this site" line would irritate the operator. It chafed me a bit. A bit.

PA agitates and provokes, but I don't think be can so tidily be referred to as a troll. There's too much intelligence there.

In my experience, online communities need a provocateur or three to remain vibrant and varied. Otherwise, the conversation trends toward fairly uniform group think and constant thumbs up emojis.

If it were put to a vote: Is your online community better off with PA or without? I vote "with".

As for those who bruise so easily as to get chased off by an agile agitator such as PA? I mean - whaddayagonnado.

p.s. Gibby told you the Sabres lose money? Huh. I guess I haven't given that issue much thought in a while, given that Uncle Terry and Aunt Kim are in charge.

p.p.s. Such a staunch and rousing defense of the FO will tend to reinforce the speculation that the site has some sort of tie, official or un-, to the team itself.

100% agree.

And thanks SDS for the background.  Facts are always better than speculation, although they do tend to stop conversation.  :P

Well, then.

No, that's the definition of trolling.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.