Sabres' brass LOVES Leafs fans at FNC

PASabreFan

No, that's the definition of trolling.

Well, I disagree.

In my view, trolls are inflammatory for the sake of being so and lack analytical acumen.

That ain't PA. It's a fine line at times, I admit.

Fine. I'll make a homophobic comment about you and we'll get 5 more pages of conversation.

That's the spirit.

While this turned out to be nothing (or so we are led to believe :devil: ), our last three owners have been the NHL, a guy that will die in jail, and a guy that didn't care about winning but only about not losing money.

I see no reason why we shouldn't question everything and hold the current owners feet to the fire.

Hurrah for Buffalo the city, but I'm glad someone is making sure that the owner of the Sabres' true intentions are the team winning. If someone gets worked up over that and moves on, then I'm with Smell, whaddayagonnado?!

It beats talking about Mike Weber's corsi fine, ugh.

Edited by SwampD

Well, then.

It's Scott's sandbox, as is often said

And I appreciate how PA's "I can't stand this site" line would irritate the operator. It chafed me a bit. A bit.

PA agitates and provokes, but I don't think be can so tidily be referred to as a troll. There's too much intelligence there.

In my experience, online communities need a provocateur or three to remain vibrant and varied. Otherwise, the conversation trends toward fairly uniform group think and constant thumbs up emojis.

If it were put to a vote: Is your online community better off with PA or without? I vote "with".

As for those who bruise so easily as to get chased off by an agile agitator such as PA? I mean - whaddayagonnado.

p.s. Gibby told you the Sabres lose money? Huh. I guess I haven't given that issue much thought in a while, given that Uncle Terry and Aunt Kim are in charge.

p.p.s. Such a staunch and rousing defense of the FO will tend to reinforce the speculation that the site has some sort of tie, official or un-, to the team itself.

Right on, Aud.

Yes, who could possibly want to talk about hockey stats on a hockey forum  :lol:  :nana:

Well, I disagree.

In my view, trolls are inflammatory for the sake of being so and lack analytical acumen.

For many I'd imagine it comes down to frequency. Regardless of how interesting or thoughtful an individual post may be, it eventually reaches boy cried wolf status.

Since you love the current NHL so much, and also think analytics has caused it...well, you should want nothing more than to talk about Weber's corsi :nana:

I would define troll as someone who is more concerned about getting a reaction than finding better understanding through debate and discussion.

Intelligence is only a factor in terms of how skilled a troll is at keeping the discussion going.

Edited by dudacek

Right on, Aud.

Please. Call me Smell.

For many I'd imagine it comes down to frequency. Regardless of how interesting or thoughtful an individual post may be, it eventually reaches boy cried wolf status.

Well, there is that. PA has a pretty consistent and entrenched view of the world, that's for sure. And it frequently finds expression in what he posts.

I would define troll as someone who is more concerned about getting a reaction [than] finding better understanding through debate and discussion.

Intelligence is only a factor in terms of how skilled a troll is at keeping the discussion going.

This is not unfair.

In my view, the troll tag is reserved for people who're pushing buttons for the sake of pushing buttons. I think PA's angles and critiques have different motivations than the mere desire to get people riled up.

No, that's the definition of trolling.

I agree, and its diff than just being provocative to further the discussion. It goes beyond that. 

As SDS said " Hot topics" don't originate from puff pieces in the travel section of local newspapers, unless someone is willing to bend and twist the situation to illicit that hot reaction you know all so well"

PA isn't just trying have a thoughtful and provocative discussion, it's done with the intent to have the exact reaction of this thread, then take a step back like steve urkel and say "did i do that"  I just meant to think etc etc. 

I think the fact that i've seen way too many threads started or taken over by over the top PA posts shows that it's trolling. 

Here we have a travel article talking about people coming down from SO, I pointed that out many times yesterday and SDS did a great job of going the extra mile explaining everything. 

Why?  because we have a particular poster who seems focused on stirring the pot and dousing it in gasoline.  I'm not talking heated rhetoric about player x being better than player y.

It's about the constant tin foil hat disparagement being constantly thrown at the team and the twisting and mental gymnastics apparent in so many posts.  

I passed that article around to many of my non Sabres/non Buffalo fans and asked them to tell me what they thought the gist was?  0 out of 5 thought it was the team saying or meaning what the OP stated. Why? Because there's no fair reading of the article to reach that conclusion. 

They all said it sounded like the writer was saying Buffalo is a good spot to see a hockey game. One even is considering going this season now. 

Please. Call me Smell.

Well, there is that. PA has a pretty consistent and entrenched view of the world, that's for sure. And it frequently finds expression in what he posts.

This is not unfair.

In my view, the troll tag is reserved for people who're pushing buttons for the sake of pushing buttons. I think PA's angles and critiques have different motivations than the mere desire to get people riled up.

I in no way mean this argumentatively, but what do you believe the intentions are? 

I in no way mean this argumentatively, but what do you believe the intentions are? 

Good stuff.

I should let him speak for himself, but I'll venture that, while he likely anticipates discord and emotional reactions to some (many) of his theories and comments, I think he honestly holds these views and harbor(center)s these concerns. And there is an honest thought process behind them. There are some tenuous inferences, yes. There is some unreasonable insistence on completely pure motivations, yes. There is a tendency to want to hold people (Pegula) to precisely what he said in that opening press conference without regard to whether some of that he said was in the nature of rhetoric or even an olive branch to a disaffected fan base. 

But there's reason to what he says here. 

This is a fine distinction, I realize, but it's one I think creates a difference. 

You don't get to give yourself a nickname. I call you that.

Not for nothing, but I believe PA was the first to hit upon Smell(y) as the short form of my handle.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/5973-love-from-sporting-news/?p=41991

Edited by That Aud Smell

Well, I disagree.

Since you love the current NHL so much, and also think analytics has caused it...well, you should want nothing more than to talk about Weber's corsi :nana:

You're both right.  IMHO, PAFan is a great poster here who is very funny, has a strong sense of history and generally adds a lot of value.  I missed him greatly when he went into exile a few years ago. 

However, notwithstanding Aud Smell's dead-on observation as to the utility of provacateurs in forums like this one, I think PAFan from time to time not only treads the fine line between interesting provocation and trolling, but smashes through it entirely.  He seems to be afflicted by the fear and loathing of the wealthy, and broader ignorance of and hostility toward the private sector, that has led WNY's economy to ruin in the last few generations -- and it leads to a relentless campaign against Golisano/Pegula/Lindy/Miller/whoever the latest rich dude in the spotlight is that is often based on thin air and frequently tiresome. 

This thread was baseless trolling, IMHO, and SDS was 100% right to describe as such.

Not for nothing, but I believe PA was the first to hit upon Smell(y) as the short form of my handle.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/5973-love-from-sporting-news/?p=41991

Holy crap - and now I must revisit a genuinely awful topic that I started some 9 and 1/2 years ago.

You're both right.  IMHO, PAFan is a great poster here who is very funny, has a strong sense of history and generally adds a lot of value.  I missed him greatly when he went into exile a few years ago. 

However, notwithstanding Aud Smell's dead-on observation as to the utility of provacateurs in forums like this one, I think PAFan from time to time not only treads the fine line between interesting provocation and trolling, but smashes through it entirely.  He seems to be afflicted by the fear and loathing of the wealthy, and broader ignorance of and hostility toward the private sector, that has led WNY's economy to ruin in the last few generations -- and it leads to a relentless campaign against Golisano/Pegula/Lindy/Miller/whoever the latest rich dude in the spotlight is that is often based on thin air and frequently tiresome. 

Good stuff here.

I don't discount the idea that the super (super) wealthy have fear and loathing, and maybe a whole lot more, deservedly headed their way.

This thread was baseless trolling, IMHO, and SDS was 100% right to describe as such.

Yeah, you and PA have nothing in common. :doh:

This has nothing to do with rich/poor, as much as you would like it to.

Jesus, does anyone actually read his posts or do they just respond to what their own preconceived notions of what they think he is saying? We have all supported a team that has not been supported by its owners for a long freekin' time! Making sure that we are not getting played by the current owner is not trolling.

Y'all can have fun telling yourselves that, "it's just a business…" That's great and I understand that as well. I really would like to win though and I don't want to end up like Joel in Risky Business, bangin the hot chick on the train while my house is getting robbed.

Yeah, you and PA have nothing in common. :doh:

This has nothing to do with rich/poor, as much as you would like it to.

Jesus, does anyone actually read his posts or do they just respond to what their own preconceived notions of what they think he is saying? We have all supported a team that has not been supported by its owners for a long freekin' time! Making sure that we are not getting played by the current owner is not trolling.

Y'all can have fun telling yourselves that, "it's just a business…" That's great and I understand that as well. I really would like to win though and I don't want to end up like Joel in Risky Business, bangin the hot chick on the train while my house is getting robbed.

The notion that the Sabres have not been "supported" by the Pegulas is ridiculous on its face.

Please cite a single example of the Pegulas' lack of support.

I really would like to win though and I don't want to end up like Joel in Risky Business, bangin the hot chick on the train while my house is getting robbed.

Oh, man. I'd forgotten all about that scene, that movie.

The notion that the Sabres have not been "supported" by the Pegulas is ridiculous on its face.

Please cite a single example of the Pegulas' lack of support.

I think the implication there is that the owners pre-2/2/11 were spotty, shady.

I agree with this.

But I don't begrudge the cynics who wonder if there is another shoe yet to drop.

And this is where I think frequency matters. There's a difference between musing about a shoe yet to drop, and connecting every dot in the known universe looking for said shoe. The latter is what grates on people IMO.

And this is where I think frequency matters. There's a difference between musing about a shoe yet to drop, and connecting every dot in the known universe looking for said shoe. The latter is what grates on people IMO.

To be fair, if the line of conversation grates on you, don't read the thread. 

While PA has certainly had his moments in the past where he inserts his narrative into every possible thread, this is not that. 

There are other threads on this forum that people avoid. Avoid PA if one must. 

To be fair, if the line of conversation grates on you, don't read the thread. 

While PA has certainly had his moments in the past where he inserts his narrative into every possible thread, this is not that. 

Agree on frequency.

Also agree that this thread isn't an example of trying to connect every possible dot to the essential theory (an extreme example of that would be more along the lines of criticizing, oh, say, food choices in the FNC or vendors in harbor center). This, to me, was a valid line of inquiry: Should the Sabres FO be on record saying that they love Leaf fans being in their building?

I just exchanged emails with Lorne Opler. I asked him specifically about the question/context around Mike's Stanley Cup dream killing words... The poor guy is rightfully confused as hell as to why anyone would require clarification on that article...

Perhaps we should chat for a couple of minutes, as I am curious to know more and frankly somewhat confused  about what seems like an issue surrounding my question and Mike's response. Whatever my question was, which I can't exactly remember, it was totally innocuous.

Apparently Lorne didn't find Mike's comments "indefensible"...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.