Sabres' brass LOVES Leafs fans at FNC

PASabreFan

Still not seeing how Gilbert's response to an out of town reporter's questions for a travel piece is "courting" or that Brandon had anything to do with it. 

Well that's just it, innit?

Brandon's business plans are proprietary and confidential. Under wraps.

How might one get an inkling of what's in the works? Maybe through off the cuff statements like these. Or maybe not. But, anyway - grist for the mill. 

Put another way: At present, we see those plans indistinctly, as in a mirror. Maybe some day we will see them face to face. At present, we know them only partially. Some day, we will know them more fully.

It seems that this is where we have the disconnect ... I don't hate the opposing fans.

It's about the "outrage" over the term "We love Leafs fans", attributed to Gilbert in the article and how it would have been preferable for those "outraged" fans for him to use the term, "We hate Leafs fans" as a way for the Sabres to show their "loyalty" to this long suffering fan base. 

The Sabres have always marketed to Southern Ontario and have always embraced that fan base, regardless of their fan allegiance to the teams they support. 

It's the right thing to do on EVERY level. 

Outrage over that is a childish response in my book.  I can't fathom how a reasonable adult can hold that position. 

GO SABRES!!!

Wrapping a turd in a flour tortilla doesn't make it more edible. Wrapping my logic around your argument doesn't magically make it valid.

So leave the discussion. You clearly have nothing to contribute.

I would bet that the people who have created a billion+ dollar industry on a game are glad that many fans have a childish passion for it.

Nice.

Is it interesting? Have you ever been critical of Sabres management? Have you ever been warned?

I wonder what percentage of posters here have been critical - even highly critical of the Sabres management in the last 10 years...? If you told me it was close to 100% I would believe it.

How many people do you think were warned for doing so? If you told me 2 - I would believe that too. 100,000's posts and I bet that number comes in at 2-3. So, if you find that interesting, well you're an odd duck.

What smacks of money making?

Do you mean like Pegulaville?

I find it interesting that a real opinion, that does no more than provoke thought, is threatened. Call me an odd duck I guess. Id say that response is due to a lack of either desire or ability to critically consider PAs thought. That isnt on PA.

I find it interesting that a real opinion, that does no more than provoke thought, is threatened. Call me an odd duck I guess. Id say that response is due to a lack of either desire or ability to critically consider PAs thought. That isnt on PA.

I think I just figured out what is really going on here.

I wonder if fans of teams with actual championships discuss this stiff

I bet the fans of the Canadiens have better stiff(s) ( :P ) to talk about.

I really don't care what Gilbert said in the article.

For me it's not about the article it is what the article represents ... another questionable action taken by the team management and owner that makes me think it is probably not about cup(s).

Stop being so childish  :P 

I think your concern is valid and reflects PA's. I don't agree with you, but I think you being in a smaller hockey market are probably familiar with the kind of rabid loyalty small teams inspire. I experienced it in college too. 

I think you're discounting a lot of what goes into making sports popular. The "purpose" of sports is not a universally defined concept. And it certainly influences how people view fanhood, loyalty, etc. What you see as childish might in fact be childish, but that is based on your definition of the purpose of sports. Give some thought to it. It's important.  

Give some thought as to where to draw the line, that is what you're really asking. 

The purpose of sports doesn't have to be clearly delineated and defined in order for the tenets of hospitality and good sportsmanship to apply universally.

If "We love Leafs fans" is disloyal, then "We hate Leafs fans" is loyal, right? The idea that there is a segment of the fan base that would actually prefer the Sabres to take that stance is absurd. On every level. 

And no, sports and being a fan of a team, is not that important in the grand scheme. I'd ask you to give that some thought if I didn't already think you have. 

GO SABRES!!!

I just know that if the Carrier Dome started advertising in the Georgetown paper about how much they love Hoyas, riots would break out. 

Honestly, I won't pretend to have read this entire thread, or the article it's even about. All I can say is, yes, it really does bother me when there are a ton of the oppositions fans here. If you're a Sabres fan who lives wherever the hell it is they're talking about, it makes sense to market to that area. 

Contribute something then. 

I was. Quite eloquently, I might add.

Honestly, I won't pretend to have read this entire thread, or the article it's even about. All I can say is, yes, it really does bother me when there are a ton of the oppositions fans here. If you're a Sabres fan who lives wherever the hell it is they're talking about, it makes sense to market to that area. 

So why aren't Sabres fans from wherever filling the building already?

I just know that if the Carrier Dome started advertising in the Georgetown paper about how much they love Hoyas, riots would break out. 

Putting aside what kind of pitiful commentary on sports fans that is, nothing about that news article even remotely equates to advertising in an opposing fan base's newspaper. 

GO SABRES!!!

Give some thought as to where to draw the line, that is what you're really asking. 

The purpose of sports doesn't have to be clearly delineated and defined in order for the tenets of hospitality and good sportsmanship to apply universally.

If "We love Leafs fans" is disloyal, then "We hate Leafs fans" is loyal, right? The idea that there is a segment of the fan base that would actually prefer the Sabres to take that stance is absurd. On every level. 

And no, sports and being a fan of a team, is not that important in the grand scheme. I'd ask you to give that some thought if I didn't already think you have. 

GO SABRES!!!

To the latter, I have given it thought. I think sports is something that should be casual and fun. Others would argue it's their whole lives. That's why I propose we dig deeper.

To the first bolded, I'm not sure this is a real thing where sports are concerned. Perhaps we want it to be, but have you been to a Bills game recently? Have you seen parents screaming profanity at a Junior High hockey match? Civility and hospitality are not the norm. 

To the point that you call absurd, I don't see absurd. I see logic if you take sports fandom and distill it to a tribal level. That's what sports fandom is to many people. Being a sports fan is tribal. 

Putting aside what kind of pitiful commentary on sports fans that is, nothing about that news article even remotely equates to advertising in an opposing fan base's newspaper. 

GO SABRES!!!

Cuse fans would be pissed regardless of where it was written. Just the thought of Georgetown fans being accommodated by the team would make them barf. 

And was the "pitiful commentary" remark directed towards me or fans in general? If it was me, then how PC can you get?

Edited by musichunch

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.