2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

I think Ennis is the classic case of Derek Roy

Well, 'tis true that they are both smallish scoring forwards who haven't delivered as much as their potential might indicate -- but I think Ennis has been waylaid with injuries, while Roy was a party boy who (understandably) loved being an NHL player more than he loved working to reach his potential. 

#Sabres lines today:

82-15-23/

9-28-12/

48-90-21/

44-27-26.

With 63 and 56 working in.

Just when there was a small glimmer of hope for Dreary Dan...

D Lo and Grant have spots over Bailey.

And Moulson.  Yeccchhh.

I mean more so that Ennis and Roy are meh players who got big minutes on bad teams and overproduced for what they really are. I'd bet anything Ennis never hits 30g and I wouldn't be surprised to see his career take a dive like Roy's did

I think Roy was a purely offensive 2nd line center that was constantly forced into a position to fail by Darcy's horrid team-building. He also gave effort and was frustrating as all hell to watch.

I think Ennis is a free-wheeler that doesn't necessarily have the vision to last in the NHL. With his body, and the way he plays, he's always 1 square hit away from being done. I think he knows that now, and can't be the same player he was with the fear in him. It's pretty sad, because Ennis was my favorite player when I started getting into hockey in 2010-2011.

I mean more so that Ennis and Roy are meh players who got big minutes on bad teams and overproduced for what they really are. I'd bet anything Ennis never hits 30g and I wouldn't be surprised to see his career take a dive like Roy's did

30?  Three-Zero?  I would jump up and down for 20.  15 even.  yes.  15.

#Sabres lines today:

82-15-23/

9-28-12/

48-90-21/

44-27-26.

With 63 and 56 working in.

Just when there was a small glimmer of hope for Dreary Dan...

D Lo and Grant have spots over Bailey.

I don't think this means anything... I expect to see the WPG lineup tomorrow night.

Dear coach Bylsma,

I am one of your biggest backers around here, but surely you must realise how well Samson has been playing at centre and Zemgus on the wing.

What gives?

Sincerely,

NS

-----

I don't think this means anything... I expect to see the WPG lineup tomorrow night.

I tend to agree with this, but man I hope we are right.

I think the Roy and Ennis comparisons are correct, but not for the reasons provided. Injuries robbed both of them of the characteristic that made them effective, speed. Once the wheels were braked they both became very ineffective players.

I think Roy was a purely offensive 2nd line center that was constantly forced into a position to fail by Darcy's horrid team-building. He also gave ###### effort and was frustrating as all hell to watch.

I think Ennis is a free-wheeler that doesn't necessarily have the vision to last in the NHL. With his body, and the way he plays, he's always 1 square hit away from being done. I think he knows that now, and can't be the same player he was with the fear in him. It's pretty sad, because Ennis was my favorite player when I started getting into hockey in 2010-2011.

Derek Roy?  Party animal seems a reasonable observation. That being said, I own a Roy jersey as a direct result of Game 1 versus Ottawa in 2006. Roy was probably 22-24 years old when he ushered one of my favorite sports memories that day('memba the shorty in the late stages of the 3rd period?!). If he underachieved afterwards by putting up 4 consecutive 20 goal seasons, 3 of which came after Briere and Drury left town, that's alright by this guy. I get it, he was never Briere or Drury and was slow on many a back check. See also Vanek, Thomas and Pominville, Jason...These were all really good players who would have been served much better with better play at the pivot (Draft/sign a center Darcy!!!!).

Edited by Doctor of Philhousley

Dear coach Bylsma,

I am one of your biggest backers around here, but surely you must realise how well Samson has been playing at centre and Zemgus on the wing.

What gives?

Sincerely,

NS

-----

I tend to agree with this, but man I hope we are right.

Yes, same.  I would be unhappy with Reinhart going back to wing right now.  

. If he underachieved afterwards by putting up 4 consecutive 20 goal seasons, 3 of which came after Briere and Drury left town, that's alright by this guy.

and this guy.  Not an all-star but a contributor to be sure.

Am I the only one who thinks that Samsom has been playing great all year and that it's the people around him who are playing better?

Also, I compare Ennis more to Briere than to Roy.

I really get a kick out of all the outrage over line combos at practice. Remember when we though ROR was only going to get 10 mins with Grant?

Am I the only one who thinks that Samsom has been playing great all year and that it's the people around him who are playing better?

I really get a kick out of all the outrage over line combos at practice. Remember when we though ROR was only going to get 10 mins with Grant?

I agree that Samson has been playing very well all season, but I prefer him at centre.

Also, agreed that many players have been playing well.  Injuries were an issue.  Now the Sabres are pretty healthy.

I really think the line combinations in practice are all smoke and mirrors, for the fans and the opposition.

Bold: Nope. He has progressed nicely except for a ~8 game slump somewhere in the middle, which is to be expected from any player.

And the last line, hopefully you're right about the lines reverting back to normal. Pretty decent chance it happens. 

I saw a tweet that relayed a Bylsma quote that says Carrier's gained back the thirteen pounds he lost with the flu. Yikes.

Just came through via Bleacher Report that they ARE moving Sam to Jack's line.   I admit to being confused.  It WILL be a good line though.

If true, not good news. I was ok with Sam at wing earlier on, being eased into the NHL and such as a young player. But knowing his potential is maximized at centre, and seeing the aptitude he's displayed there this season, I am disheartened by Dan's decision to move him back to wing.

Just came through via Bleacher Report that they ARE moving Sam to Jack's line.   I admit to being confused.  It WILL be a good line though.

Also on Bleacher Report:  "Dan Bylsma said William Carrier got the 13 pounds (!!!) he lost being sick back."

Dang, dude.

If true, not good news. I was ok with Sam at wing earlier on, being eased into the NHL and such as a young player. But knowing his potential is maximized at centre, and seeing the aptitude he's displayed there this season, I am disheartened by Dan's decision to move him back to wing.

As am I, with Grant playing center on this team.  I'd much rather see Sam at 3C and Girgs at 4C.  In general though, when Larsson is healthy, I see Larsson at 3C, Girgs or anyone else besides Grant at 4C and Sam in the top six.  It's just that right now, Larsson isn't healthy, which makes it a perfect opportunity to give Samson extended minutes at C, even if they are at 3C.  The way I see it, with Samson at 3C we have three "top lines" (almost, anyway).  I think part of the success so far this calendar year is that there are three scoring lines which means one of those lines at least is not getting top defensive coverage.

I also like the concept of having ROR, Eich and Reino on separate lines and bringing them together for the 1st powerplay unit, providing an abundance of talent, skill and vision to the PP.  But to maximize 5-on-5 scoring I think you want them each to have their own line.

Edited by Doohickie

At their respective peaks, Derek Roy was twice the player Ennis was. Roy had plenty of annoying tendencies (as does Ennis), but he was a 70 point player. Ennis has never broken 50. Sadly, Roy was never the same after his quad injury.

That said, I still think Ennis can be a useful player. Let him captain the 4th line and 2nd PP unit, adding some much needed depth scoring.

No you're not the only one

And Moulson.  Yeccchhh.

We have no chance to trade this guy at the deadline without him getting the chance of scoring more points/goals

At their respective peaks, Derek Roy was twice the player Ennis was. Roy had plenty of annoying tendencies (as does Ennis), but he was a 70 point player. Ennis has never broken 50. Sadly, Roy was never the same after his quad injury.

That said, I still think Ennis can be a useful player. Let him captain the 4th line and 2nd PP unit, adding some much needed depth scoring.

Thank you!

Ennis couldn't carry Derek Roy's jock! And that's really saying something, all things considered. Roy is still the last Sabre to score 80. All the guy ever did was produce points when he was in the line up.

Thank you!

Ennis couldn't carry Derek Roy's jock! And that's really saying something, all things considered. Roy is still the last Sabre to score 80. All the guy ever did was produce points when he was in the line up.

Well that and reportedly asking opponents why they were playing so hard and to "take it easy" on him. Derek Roy was a lot of things, but a serious competitor he was not.

Well that and reportedly asking opponents why they were playing so hard and to "take it easy" on him. Derek Roy was a lot of things, but a serious competitor he was not.

And still, he destroys Ennis in terms of hockey skill and productivity.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.