2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

A month ago I'd agree with the bolded but Samson has stepped it up in the middle and that trio was downright dangerous last night. I'd like to see what they can do together for a period of time. In fact I think Kane and Bailey make up for SR's shortcomings and I think his passing ability can open up some lanes for the speed boys.

If Reino works out at C, Larry's   Zemgus is a goner.

Those lines are very interesting.  ROR is centering the #3 line?  It's hard to describe it as any more than that with Grant and Gio on his wings.  Does DD see ROR as being the 3rd line (i.e., defensive shutdown) center once Eichel and Samson are ready for top 6 center duty?

I'd like to see Carrier in place of DLo; we'll see how that plays out tomorrow.

It is kinda interesting that DDB may be buying into the notion that the team will be better off with Eichel, Reino, ROR and Zemgus all playing center -- even if that means that one of ROR and Reino is not in the "top 6."

I kinda think Carrier is probably resting and will be in over D-Lo or Grant when the puck drops.

Larry is the perfect 4th line center, and Gus needs to fill out crap wings where he's better anyways

Not sure we have enough good play by Zemgus at any position to say definitively that he's better at one vs the other. 

I do think that with Larsson out, Zemgus has maybe his last and best chance to prove himself in Buffalo as a good contributor at forward.

ROR and Reinhart need to switch

Here we are in another thread talking about going with the hot hand in goal.  The Kane-Reinhart-Bailey line generated 2 of the Sabres' 3 even-strength goals against NY.  I don't think they should be broken up just yet.

It is kinda interesting that DDB may be buying into the notion that the team will be better off with Eichel, Reino, ROR and Zemgus all playing center -- even if that means that one of ROR and Reino is not in the "top 6."

...or maybe he's trying to construct 3 "top" lines.

There is going to be a call today between 90, his Dr, Murray and coach to see if he can play tomorrow. 90 Said he feels no problems at al...

ROR, how??

He's an absolute monster.

Also, I hate when tweets refer to players by numbers, it makes them sound like robots.

ROR, how??

Arthroscopic surgery.

In the old days a doctor would cut through muscles when doing an appendectomy.  This resulted in a multi-day hospital stay and a convalescence of weeks/months.  I had mine out in 4th grade back in the '70s.  The surgery was in February and I wasn't allowed to participate in gym class for the rest of the year.

But with arthroscopic surgery, it's a very small incision and very few muscle fibers are cut; rather, the scope goes between muscle fibers with minimal disruption of the muscle, leading to much quicker recovery times.

I had a hernia fixed more recently, about 10 years ago.  They scoped it and I was on my feet that afternoon, and back at work in three weeks.  I was ready after two, but the old company tables said a hernia repair required 6 weeks off from work.... so we compromised.

I'm sure techniques are even less disruptive now, and that ROR probably had a sports surgeon do the appendectomy.  It seems like he's back a little soon, but if they're confident that the muscles suffered no significant damage, there's no reason he shouldn't be fine.

Arthroscopic surgery.

In the old days a doctor would cut through muscles when doing an appendectomy.  This resulted in a multi-day hospital stay and a convalescence of weeks/months.  I had mine out in 4th grade back in the '70s.  The surgery was in February and I wasn't allowed to participate in gym class for the rest of the year.

But with arthroscopic surgery, it's a very small incision and very few muscle fibers are cut; rather, the scope goes between muscle fibers with minimal disruption of the muscle, leading to much quicker recovery times.

I had a hernia fixed more recently, about 10 years ago.  They scoped it and I was on my feet that afternoon, and back at work in three weeks.  I was ready after two, but the old company tables said a hernia repair required 6 weeks off from work.... so we compromised.

I'm sure techniques are even less disruptive now, and that ROR probably had a sports surgeon do the appendectomy.  It seems like he's back a little soon, but if they're confident that the muscles suffered no significant damage, there's no reason he shouldn't be fine.

Yeah, I know what you mean. A couple other friends of mine also had it out the old way, and we weren't allowed to play outside for a looooong time (their family babysat me when I was little haha)

he's a full participant in practice, like, a week after he had the surgery, it's just crazy how he can hug the earliest of the early projections for him. 

Conditioning plays a huge role too.  A little different, but I've heard several stories of fellow cyclists who've had heart problems, even heart attacks, only to have their cardiologist tell them that they can recover fairly quickly and fully because their heart was so well conditioned prior to the event.

Since drafting Sam and signing ROR, the hope of many was to see ROR shift to wing and have our back-to-back top 5 picks become an elite one-two punch down the middle. ROR's dominance in the circle makes this difficult to do right now (not to mention Sam being far from an elite #2), but the change may benefit the team under the current roster.

Proposed lineup:

Okposo - Eichel - Foligno

Kane - Reinhart - ROR

Gionta - Girgensons - Bailey

Mouls - Grant - Des/Carrier

Keep the first line going. They've shown some growth in the last few games (particularly on neutral D, Jack's stick is a big time disruptor here).

Put ROR on the wing with Sam where he could still take draws often. 

Girgs been playing well of late, and a change to center is what seemed to have been the spark. He'd be a solid #3, although he wouldn't have much protection in the circle here (maybe shift Kane with Gionta?). 

Injuries have been the one consistent theme of the season, and one of the few strengths of our depleted roster is depth at center. If ROR is willing to make the move to wing and he maintains his play, then I think the experiment may pay off.  

*Not necessarily advocating this, just more of a thought experiment.

Arthroscopic surgery.

Unless it bursts during the surgery like mine did.

Glad you're back, Qwk.

Speaking of guys on the outs who have gotten another chance -- Ennis is skating again.

I think he can turn the corner and become a productive player if he's finally healthy.  His speed, if he still has it, is his money maker.  Without it, he's JAG and probably won't get another NHL contract.  But if he's regained it, I think he can be a good top-6 forward.

I wouldn't mind seeing him with ROR and Zemgus.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.