2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

Well that and reportedly asking opponents why they were playing so hard and to "take it easy" on him. Derek Roy was a lot of things, but a serious competitor he was not.

4 consecutive 20 goal seasons, an 81 point season after Chris and Dan left. Imagine if he was more competitive? The entire town, including our favorite local radio personalities, turned on poor old Roysie because he could not replace the idols our GM failed to sign. 

4 consecutive 20 goal seasons, an 81 point season after Chris and Dan left. Imagine if he was more competitive? The entire town, including our favorite local radio personalities, turned on poor old Roysie because he could not replace the idols our GM failed to sign.

He was a decent little player. Just not a 1st line franchise carrying center. A passenger, not a driver.

Oh, and they were never my idols.

Edited by inkman

If we have the cap space, who cares?

If cap space becomes an issue then, yes, I agree. 

This year, next year not an issue. 

Ennis, Moulson, and Bogo account for $14,742,857 against the cap in 18-19, with Jack and Sam needing to be resigned.  Barring a steep increase in the cap something's gotta give or that's gonna hurt. 

This year, next year not an issue. 

Ennis, Moulson, and Bogo account for $14,742,857 against the cap in 18-19, with Jack and Sam needing to be resigned.  Barring a steep increase in the cap something's gotta give or that's gonna hurt.

I imagine one of those three will be taken in the expansion draft

I imagine one of those three will be taken in the expansion draft

Doubt Moulson unless they sweeten the pot for Vegas, but 1 of the other 2 or Kane is likely.

I've been fooling around with the CapFriendly expansion draft tool because I have a rich and full life.  I'm starting to dread the possibility that Ullmark gets taken (assuming the chips fall in a pattern requiring him to be exposed).  Not so much because Ullmark would necessarily be a devastating blow, but we're not losing enough in salary. 

I've been fooling around with the CapFriendly expansion draft tool because I have a rich and full life. I'm starting to dread the possibility that Ullmark gets taken (assuming the chips fall in a pattern requiring him to be exposed). Not so much because Ullmark would necessarily be a devastating blow, but we're not losing enough in salary.

Then leave BOGO and Moulson exposed

Then leave BOGO and Moulson exposed

I did, and GMTM will, trust me.  The problem is that the Sabres have to sign another goalie just to have a goalie to expose.  If they give Lehner and Ullmark qualifying offers, then they're in compliance (Nillson is a UFA and I guess could technically be signed before the draft but I'd tell him no way if I was his agent) but one of them gets left exposed.  I doubt it'll be Lehner.

Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself, as I don't think there's any sense worrying about the expansion draft (i.e. doing exactly what I'm doing now) until after the trade deadline, but I'm not sure we can bet the farm on losing a big contract to Vegas as it stands.

I did, and GMTM will, trust me. The problem is that the Sabres have to sign another goalie just to have a goalie to expose. If they give Lehner and Ullmark qualifying offers, then they're in compliance (Nillson is a UFA and I guess could technically be signed before the draft but I'd tell him no way if I was his agent) but one of them gets left exposed. I doubt it'll be Lehner.

Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself, as I don't think there's any sense worrying about the expansion draft (i.e. doing exactly what I'm doing now) until after the trade deadline, but I'm not sure we can bet the farm on losing a big contract to Vegas as it stands.

Murray if anthing is calculated. He won't lose a player he considers an asset for nothing.

Murray if anthing is calculated. He won't lose a player he considers an asset for nothing.

True, but he's painted himself into a bit of a corner with the situation in goal at the moment.  It'll take a fair bit of wiggling to fix it, unless he's really sure he can dangle something else out there. 

Pittsburgh is also quite screwed in this regard as of now, FWIW.  They have to protect Fleury unless they can move him, leaving Murray eligible.  it'll be interesting what happens there as well.

TOR claims Curtis McElhinney from CBJ. Derek Grant (BUF) on waivers.

Fiiiiiiiiinally. Now we just need to show Des the same door.

Des is a popular character in the locker room, he's good for team chemistry.   I don't think he goes anywhere soon.

Good article here on Reinhart: https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/sabres-practice-report-jan-9-2017/c-285497454

Of note, Sam is 19th in the NHL in primary assists, with 13. Pretty impressive stuff. Also nice to see that Bylsma, while still liking the idea of Sam playing up with Eichel or ROR, is also on board with Reinhart working well at centre and getting time there as well. 

Good article here on Reinhart: https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/sabres-practice-report-jan-9-2017/c-285497454

Of note, Sam is 19th in the NHL in primary assists, with 13. Pretty impressive stuff. Also nice to see that Bylsma, while still liking the idea of Sam playing up with Eichel or ROR, is also on board with Reinhart working well at centre and getting time there as well. 

I like the versatility of Samson for now, but I wonder about his long-term development if he is shifted around between centre and wing.  I would like him as a centre and then winger on the #1 power play.  I think someone proposed that somewhere in this thread and I like that idea a lot.

I like the versatility of Samson for now, but I wonder about his long-term development if he is shifted around between centre and wing.  I would like him as a centre and then winger on the #1 power play.  I think someone proposed that somewhere in this thread and I like that idea a lot.

To build on this, I don't want Samson in front of the net on the power play anymore. I want him in Jack's spot, and since I like Jack in Jack's spot, I wouldn't mind seeing Samson go to PP2. He'd make it a little better and I think he'd produce just as much there. And when we have actual talent to put on the unit, even better.

I think they will eventually be a Datsyuk/Zetterberg or Crosby/Malkin kind of tandem- center their own lines, but when needed they can team up on the power play or late game situation to try to score that clutch goal.

What if we leave Carrier-ROR-KO, who in a limited amount of time posted a CF% well over 60%, and put Ennis in Deslauriers' spot when he's back, to make the fourth line our top line from the tank teams? Give them nice and cushy minutes, and get some depth scoring?

I'd do it for the first few games anyway, simply because you can give Ennis light minutes and let him work his way back in.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.