2016 pre-deadline trades

Eleven

No money retained on Phaneuf? Thats the real win for Toronto.

If the Leafs can trade The Clarkson, Kessel and Phaneuf's Contracts, someone is taking Moulson right?

Kessel and Phaneuf are still useful players, so probably not. And Clarkson, as bad as he is, is still by default better than Horton.

9 player trade, Toronto and Sens. Biggest name, Phaneuf. Thank the sweet baby Jeebus that I can continue to hate Dion Phaneuf on another team I generally despise. 

Senators announce they've acquired Dion Phaneuf in a nine-player trade.

Only other known players so far going to Toronto are Jared Cowen and Colin Greening.

Milan Michalek goes to Toronto:

#Sens get Phaneuf, Frattin, Bailey, Rupert and Donaghey in exchange for Cowen, Greening, Michalek, Lindberg and 2nd-rounder in 2017.

This is cool. Love big trades. 

I mean, they're in full rebuild mode, any aging vet with a big contract are going to be gone. The side effect could be room for Stamkos, but it was happening either way.

The more I hear from Stamkos, the more I think he stays. I was absolutely convinced he was leaving in the Fall, but now? Not so much

I agree, and esp since Stamkos really wants to win, and with TO in rebuild not sure that's happening anytime too soon. 

I agree, and esp since Stamkos really wants to win, and with TO in rebuild not sure that's happening anytime too soon. 

How do we know this?

I agree that if he wants to win, he should stay in TB -- but the fact that he hasn't signed yet would tend to support the view that it's more about the Benjamins than about winning.

It pains me to say this, but if things break their way, Toronto could be quite good quickly. Let's just say they win the lottery and get Stamkos. Stamkos, Matthews, Nylander and Marner is a heck of a group of forwards to build around, and they have Rielly back on D. Sure they still need a lot of blue line help and depth in the forward ranks, but that's a great foundation.

Of course, Stamkos could always stay in Tampa and they could lose the lottery big time and draft 4th, in which case their short and long term outlook is significantly worse.

It pains me to say this, but if things break their way, Toronto could be quite good quickly. Let's just say they win the lottery and get Stamkos. Stamkos, Matthews, Nylander and Marner is a heck of a group of forwards to build around, and they have Rielly back on D. Sure they still need a lot of blue line help and depth in the forward ranks, but that's a great foundation.

Of course, Stamkos could always stay in Tampa and they could lose the lottery big time and draft 4th, in which case their short and long term outlook is significantly worse.

Oh I'm very concerned about T.O.  The only good thing is I could see the rivalry between these teams come back in spades.  In 4 or 5 years I'm predicting a three way battle of Buffalo, Toronto and Florida for the Atlantic.  Possibly Tampa in the mix if they can keep Stamkos.

I think Nylander will be the best player out of all of them, and top 3 from 2014, unfortunately. 40 points in 30 AHL games as a 19 year old, is something.

Why is it always winning or money? Hometown, schools for your children, places to raise a family, country, nightlife... Etc etc. It's not just one of two things driving a decision.

because on most cases it is money,teams winning reputation, or hometown that attracts the top FAs, the only one I can think of recently who said otherwise was Nathan Horton who chose Columbus so he could live with his family without all the spotlight from a big city. The school stuff, paces to raise a family etc, those are all things that can be found in areas of any city so it's not going to be much of a factor.

because on most cases it is money,teams winning reputation, or hometown that attracts the top FAs, the only one I can think of recently who said otherwise was Nathan Horton who chose Columbus so he could live with his family without all the spotlight from a big city. The school stuff, paces to raise a family etc, those are all things that can be found in areas of any city so it's not going to be much of a factor.

I have to disagree. I would take a $10m overall pay cut if I could play in Buffalo, easily. Especially with all the money he already has, and with Babcock, Marner, Nylander, and Kadri/Reily there. Plus whatever other ammo they get at this deadline, and a top 5 pick, they could be real, real dangerous in 3 years

Loaned? The heck is this - international futbol?

Wonder how many guys get loaned to another team's farm club, especially now that each NHL team has its own?

Only "name" player ottomh that was loaned elsewhere was Kolzig who played for the Amerks one year a few years prior to beating the Sabres in '98.